Stupid traction control system... - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-20-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

Stupid traction control system...

This is my 3rd JK, and I've had problems with the traction control system in every single one of them.

Will the cutting the purple and white wire trick cut it off completely? Like it cant possibly power up and do anything at all, any time ever at all? I'm so frustrated that I'm seriously considering plumbing the brake system by hand old school style to completely eliminate the abs system 100% forever.

Completely by random, the system will activate when I barely touch the brakes and drag me violently to the right... other times I hit the brakes and the abs goes off and the pedal gets rock hard and I have to stand on the pedal to stop, today my left front brake decided to pulse the last couple miles all the way home and when I got here it was smoking and smelled like a burned out clutch...

If I disconnect all the wheel speed sensors will that keep it turned off? Or do I physically have to bypass around the abs from the master cylinder directly to the calipers?

I can't believe there isn't a class action lawsuit against Jeep yet based on all the other stories I've read while researching my issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-20-2020, 07:02 PM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Never had that issue with the 2014 and 2015 I had and have, is your steering wheel straight? If it's off by a little it will throw off the abs system if the steering is not centered and u press the brakes going in a straight line then the abs will think its slipping and kick in... also ur clock spring has a bit to do with the abs system so if u got a faulty clock spring in ur steering it will throw the abs system off making it come on and off depending how u halve ur steering turned

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 Old 03-20-2020, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moezer View Post
Never had that issue with the 2014 and 2015 I had and have, is your steering wheel straight? If it's off by a little it will throw off the abs system if the steering is not centered and u press the brakes going in a straight line then the abs will think its slipping and kick in... also ur clock spring has a bit to do with the abs system so if u got a faulty clock spring in ur steering it will throw the abs system off making it come on and off depending how u halve ur steering turned

I'm aware. I want to either turn it off forever, or bypass it completely. My last Jeep JK (2015 Rubicon 2 door) I bought brand new from the dealer, and had 4 wheel parts do the lift and all the mods. Traction control went crazy, turned out it was a broken clock spring, 4wp paid the dealer to replace it since they broke it installing my lift. ABS/Traction control would kick on every time I took a clover leaf off ramp any faster than about 20 mph... Dealer blamed 4wp's 4wp's claimed my Jeep was defective and it was a warranty problem. I bought the Aev Procal module, double checked my steering alignment, made sure my steering and wheels were centered perfectly, and it still kept acting up on clover leaf exits, which are 99% of the exits in my area.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have my Jeep checked out at a local repair shop.

post #4 of 22 Old 03-20-2020, 08:02 PM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

If it's under warranty just take it to another dealer

post #5 of 22 Old 03-23-2020, 11:27 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
they must have added a drop pit arm to break a cock spring. when they removed that pit arm someone must have turned the wheel way past lock point. That is the only way it can be broke outside of just regular use that in some conditions can wear that out in less then a few years. IE; dust intrusion. That was the main issue with those POS that caused the recall on some years. Then the latter warranty extension Fiat will give you them free for what is it like 100K miles? I went through 3 before i said f it and just never replaced it again ever. The last ones I replaced my self and even those i was repaid for the part as long as you have the receipt. No one ever asked or blamed a thing.

But on the street i have not had any issue with our 12JKR's ABS, its on 4.5 lift+- and on 37s. But the jeep is 99% off road as well. trailer gets there and back. only street is some short trips local and and wheeling areas i need to drive it on the street.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-23-2020, 12:46 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
This is my 3rd JK, and I've had problems with the traction control system in every single one of them.

Will the cutting the purple and white wire trick cut it off completely? Like it cant possibly power up and do anything at all, any time ever at all? I'm so frustrated that I'm seriously considering plumbing the brake system by hand old school style to completely eliminate the abs system 100% forever.

Completely by random, the system will activate when I barely touch the brakes and drag me violently to the right... other times I hit the brakes and the abs goes off and the pedal gets rock hard and I have to stand on the pedal to stop, today my left front brake decided to pulse the last couple miles all the way home and when I got here it was smoking and smelled like a burned out clutch...

If I disconnect all the wheel speed sensors will that keep it turned off? Or do I physically have to bypass around the abs from the master cylinder directly to the calipers?

I can't believe there isn't a class action lawsuit against Jeep yet based on all the other stories I've read while researching my issues.
I know this is a frustrating situation, Necromancer_tat. When was the last time you brought this to your dealers attention? Since they will be in the best position to pinpoint the cause of this concern, we do recommend setting an appointment when you get a chance. Let us know if you need help.

Kate
JeepCares
post #7 of 22 Old 03-23-2020, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If it's under warranty just take it to another dealer

My 2015 Rubicon was under warranty, but 4WP sleaved and welded a truss onto the axle, I also had them install the PSC hydro assist kit at the same time, and I had a 4" currie lift installed, and 37" bias ply tires. I had gears put in by a different shop after the lift and tires. 4wp's broke the clock spring when they had everything taken apart, and they paid the dealership to install a new one. After that the Jeep drove great in a straight line but the ABS would actuate all the way around every off ramp I took it on. (clover leaf offramps) 4wp's said something was wrong with the Jeep, and they wouldn't even try to fix it because I hadn't paid extra for the extended waranty. Jeep said I had to much aftermarket stuff on the Jeep, including the welding which could have warped the axle, the hydro assist which might be turning the wheels faster than the steering wheel so the computer was confused, ot the heavy bias ply tires etc... so I was just stuck with it.

My new to me 2012 Jeep turns out it has a broken clock spring, which I assumed already, and it also has no signal from the Drivers front wheel speed sensor, so I have both of those on order and will replace them myself when they get here. I just feel like it's retarded for the system to still try and engage when it's obviously not working correctly. The damn Jeep is trying to kill me half the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
they must have added a drop pit arm to break a cock spring. when they removed that pit arm someone must have turned the wheel way past lock point. That is the only way it can be broke outside of just regular use that in some conditions can wear that out in less then a few years. IE; dust intrusion. That was the main issue with those POS that caused the recall on some years. Then the latter warranty extension Fiat will give you them free for what is it like 100K miles? I went through 3 before i said f it and just never replaced it again ever. The last ones I replaced my self and even those i was repaid for the part as long as you have the receipt. No one ever asked or blamed a thing.

But on the street i have not had any issue with our 12JKR's ABS, its on 4.5 lift+- and on 37s. But the jeep is 99% off road as well. trailer gets there and back. only street is some short trips local and and wheeling areas i need to drive it on the street.
Any time the steering is disconnected and the steering wheel is spun the clock spring can break. My Jeep has aftermarket steering linkage that the previous owner installed. I'm sure the clock spring was prolly broken somewhere around that time. It was broken when I got the Jeep, I just didn't expect that the system would keep trying to actuate when it's obviously not equipped to make an intelligent decision... instead it just seams to make random choices all by itself to grab one wheel or another and try to swerve me into a pole or oncomming traffic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
I know this is a frustrating situation, Necromancer_tat. When was the last time you brought this to your dealers attention? Since they will be in the best position to pinpoint the cause of this concern, we do recommend setting an appointment when you get a chance. Let us know if you need help.

Kate
JeepCares
I took it to a friends auto repair shop Saturday and had it put on a diagnostic machine and the clock spring is broken as I suspected, and the wheel speed sensor in the drivers front wheel isn't putting out a signal. I ordered the parts to fix it and am no waiting for them to arrive. I appreciate the reply, but maybe it would be cool if Jeep designed the system to turn off if it senses a problem instead of activating randomly... Imagine if the air bag system just started blowing up airbags at random just because the clock spring was bad...
post #8 of 22 Old 03-23-2020, 05:12 PM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

This could be a dumb question but are ur axles and wheels programed right after all that work?

It could easily be mistaken or off by a bit and the system thinks its spinning while turning and kicking the abs on

post #9 of 22 Old 03-23-2020, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
This could be a dumb question but are ur axles and wheels programed right after all that work?

It could easily be mistaken or off by a bit and the system thinks its spinning while turning and kicking the abs on

I'm curious what you would suggest? Is there something I should check that I'm forgetting?
post #10 of 22 Old 03-23-2020, 08:04 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
When i ripped the track bar off a few weeks ago on the the trail, stock axle track mount ripped off. i used heavy straps in a X to center the axle as best i could to get it back to the trailer. The access road to the trail is basically a county road of about 10 miles. the ABS went totally bazaar. since the steering was about a half turn off. any speed over 15mph ABS would about try to kill you. Made a bad situation worse.

If you ever find a way to to cut a wire. I am all in on that mod. Its totally not needed. Its just the nanny state of mind. I will be watching to see if anyone has an answer to that specific question. Since i dont run air bags as well.

Making my 2012 more like my 66 that i used to have one delete at a time.

post #11 of 22 Old 03-24-2020, 12:11 AM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm curious what you would suggest? Is there something I should check that I'm forgetting?
Did 4wp give u a programer like a flashcal or flash paq? When changing gears or tires u need to reprogram the jeep to accept bigger tires and different gears Is ur speedo off?

post #12 of 22 Old 03-24-2020, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When i ripped the track bar off a few weeks ago on the the trail, stock axle track mount ripped off. i used heavy straps in a X to center the axle as best i could to get it back to the trailer. The access road to the trail is basically a county road of about 10 miles. the ABS went totally bazaar. since the steering was about a half turn off. any speed over 15mph ABS would about try to kill you. Made a bad situation worse.

If you ever find a way to to cut a wire. I am all in on that mod. Its totally not needed. Its just the nanny state of mind. I will be watching to see if anyone has an answer to that specific question. Since i dont run air bags as well.

There is supposedly a mod where you cut a purple and white wire under the center console and install a switch to turn it on and off. The reason I haven't done that yet is I'm waiting to hear from someone who has done it to confirm it completely turns off the system. I say completely because apparently there are a few steps of on or off and even when it's deactivated supposedly it will still come on in certain circumstances. As it sits now, my dashboard says the system is off, but it obviously still keeps activating.

Quote:
Did 4wp give u a programer like a flashcal or flash paq? When changing gears or tires u need to reprogram the jeep to accept bigger tires and different gears Is ur speedo off?

My 2015 I had an AEV Procal module, it didn't help the abs issues, just the speedometer and making sure the steering is centered.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-24-2020, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Here is a link to the wire cutting trick:https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/a...res-87119.html
post #14 of 22 Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
My 2015 Rubicon was under warranty, but 4WP sleaved and welded a truss onto the axle, I also had them install the PSC hydro assist kit at the same time, and I had a 4" currie lift installed, and 37" bias ply tires. I had gears put in by a different shop after the lift and tires. 4wp's broke the clock spring when they had everything taken apart, and they paid the dealership to install a new one. After that the Jeep drove great in a straight line but the ABS would actuate all the way around every off ramp I took it on. (clover leaf offramps) 4wp's said something was wrong with the Jeep, and they wouldn't even try to fix it because I hadn't paid extra for the extended waranty. Jeep said I had to much aftermarket stuff on the Jeep, including the welding which could have warped the axle, the hydro assist which might be turning the wheels faster than the steering wheel so the computer was confused, ot the heavy bias ply tires etc... so I was just stuck with it.

My new to me 2012 Jeep turns out it has a broken clock spring, which I assumed already, and it also has no signal from the Drivers front wheel speed sensor, so I have both of those on order and will replace them myself when they get here. I just feel like it's retarded for the system to still try and engage when it's obviously not working correctly. The damn Jeep is trying to kill me half the time...

Any time the steering is disconnected and the steering wheel is spun the clock spring can break. My Jeep has aftermarket steering linkage that the previous owner installed. I'm sure the clock spring was prolly broken somewhere around that time. It was broken when I got the Jeep, I just didn't expect that the system would keep trying to actuate when it's obviously not equipped to make an intelligent decision... instead it just seams to make random choices all by itself to grab one wheel or another and try to swerve me into a pole or oncomming traffic...

I took it to a friends auto repair shop Saturday and had it put on a diagnostic machine and the clock spring is broken as I suspected, and the wheel speed sensor in the drivers front wheel isn't putting out a signal. I ordered the parts to fix it and am no waiting for them to arrive. I appreciate the reply, but maybe it would be cool if Jeep designed the system to turn off if it senses a problem instead of activating randomly... Imagine if the air bag system just started blowing up airbags at random just because the clock spring was bad...
Thanks for following up with me, Necromancer_tat. I understand your sentiments and I will notate that. Should you decide at any time you would like the assistance of a dealer, please reach out! We're happy to help.

Kate
JeepCares
post #15 of 22 Old 03-24-2020, 08:43 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
The dealer would just flag the jeep as not stock. Might even red flag it.....

Read the thread. Dang i just had the center consul out to replace the shift assembly for the W5( third one that has failed in 37k). Looks like i will be pulling the consul and doing this mod.
Necromancer_tat likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in