In the snow, in 4 low, front end going crazy. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2015, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
XJMcPhee
2013 JK Wrangler 

In the snow, in 4 low, front end going crazy.

For the past few weeks here in Michigan, we've been getting some snow

On my way home, prancing over snow drifts, I came across a helpless Jeep Commander stuck, due to some very worn tires.
My JK does weigh substantially less so I knew I was up for a challenge, but I was equipped with a 30' tow strap, so I had to at least try.
So I got everything rigged up, dropped the t-case in low and gave it a go.

Naturally, the SR-A's didn't grip.

As I got more towards the 10-15 mph range, the Jeep started galloping
A large amount of jolting, and clattering, which didn't sound too good at all.
Its a 2013 JK, so im assuming its nothing that's worn out.
But what the hell was it?

To finish the story, with a little bit of cat litter for traction aid, the JK pulled the Commander out with ease

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-12-2015, 05:39 AM
liredneck

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would think that's just your suspension cycling up and down and your tires fight for traction . nothing wrong just not a good idea to let it happen . as the tires slip and trip and bounce up and down your putting allot of shock stress on your axle shafts ,ujoints, ball joints ... Pretty much everything

97 tj 6 cyl 5 SPd 4" supelift 35" baja claws 8.8/hp 30 ,4.10 lockrite in the rear , RR sye and adams dc shaft ,10k lb viper winch and other crap
post #3 of 8 Old 02-12-2015, 06:05 AM
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

What would be the better way to hook the JK up to pull the Commander out; from the front tow hooks or the back loop?

post #4 of 8 Old 02-12-2015, 06:31 AM
liredneck

1997 TJ Wrangler 

From the back of your jk pulling forward. I try to never pull anyone from the front . that put allot of stress on your front end also. Sure you can do it if you don't hammer it but its been my experience that a gental tug can go into slaking the rope and yanking real quick when the first few trys don't work lol. Jeeps are not made of glass but with how hard I drive and wheel on a regular I try not to and extra stress when I can avoid it

97 tj 6 cyl 5 SPd 4" supelift 35" baja claws 8.8/hp 30 ,4.10 lockrite in the rear , RR sye and adams dc shaft ,10k lb viper winch and other crap
post #5 of 8 Old 02-12-2015, 07:28 AM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The ring and pinion gears are weaker when pulling in reverse.

Also, once the tires begin to spin, it's time to let off the throttle and not allow the suspension to jump as you described.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #6 of 8 Old 02-12-2015, 11:03 AM
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. Makes sense.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
XJMcPhee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liredneck View Post
I would think that's just your suspension cycling up and down and your tires fight for traction . nothing wrong just not a good idea to let it happen . as the tires slip and trip and bounce up and down your putting allot of shock stress on your axle shafts ,ujoints, ball joints ... Pretty much everything
God I'm an idiot thank you!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 04:30 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJMcPhee View Post
30' tow strap, so I had to at least try.
to me thats like saying I have a screwdriver so ill try to pry these....

Yep done it. But fact remains - that's volunteering the wrong tool.

If your budget says 1 strap - make it an extraction strap, not a tow strap. Unless you have practiced off road tow/be towed - and an extraction or two along the way - you may not immediately understand the difference. You're far more likely to need an extraction strap than a tow strap. For the price of a GOOD tow strap - you've got AAA and were talking a tow truck.

And tow vehicle rule one is - do NOT loose traction - (spin). Once traction is lost the load can pull you back loosing ground. Thats what you felt - the tires loosing ground at various erratic points in the task.

An extract strap allows the vehicles to move further apart storing that energy (torque over distance) difference in the strap, to be used as the towed vehicle finds traction (or comes over the breakpoint of rocks). Like a shock absorber.

Towing and extractions are brutal acts of kindness. Better left to a winch...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
binding , dana 30 , snow , stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in