Sleeping in Jeep - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Croce

2009 JK Wrangler 

Sleeping in Jeep

So I recently went on a camping trip with my girlfriend and setup a twin air mattress in the back of the JK. Sleeping was no where near as uncomfortable as i thought and there was decent amount of room. Although if i had an extra 6" i would of been able to sleep streched out.. If i moved the front seats forward i would have more than enough room but that damn center console causes the air matress to lay angled and not flat.

I was searching for a custom air mattress and could not find one anywhere. Anyone have any ideas on making/purchasing an air matress that can contour around the center console?
I was thinking along the lines of a Foam pad, but cant seem to find one cheaper that $70 that im willing to cut so it contours around the console..

Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated as i am going camping in the next few weeks but they dont allow tents on the beach (Race point beach, MA) where im going

2009 Jeep JK Sahara Unlimited | Smittybilt XRC Rock Guards | Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper | Rockcrusher Front D30 Diff Cover | KC Hilities Daylighters | Rancho Oil Pan Cover | BMD Evap Skid | AEV Snorkel

Mirror Flip | Daystar dash | Painted Sahara Rims | Seat mounted Mag-lites | Gutter Grill inserts | Smittybilt Seat covers | Vent Mirrors | Spray Can-Bed Liner and Interior Paint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Any fool can know. The point is to understand- Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
g4x4xgeoff

1994 YJ Wrangler 

When I go camping (except for when i'm camping below 30) I simply attach a hammock from my roll bar out to a tree (preferably), another vehicle, or to a post of sort.

Works great, provided you're into the hammock thing.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
BrendonR

How about building a platform to bring the back of the seats (when folded down) up to the same height as the console?

2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd.
Red Rock Crystal Pearl - Sky Slider

Current Mods: None

Currently accepting donations to remedy above.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Try putting the mattress in deflated and inflate it while it is in the desired position.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 AM
BrendonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post
How about building a platform to bring the back of the seats (when folded down) up to the same height as the console?
Addition - It could also be made "modular" and storable in the back so that you can leave the seats up while traveling if you need to carry more than just the two of you.

2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd.

post #6 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

If you have a hard top and are not obese like me, you might be able to put the mattress on the roof and hold it in place with ratchet straps or bungee cords. I don't know how strong the hard top is, but with the frame underneath, it may be strong enough.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Croce

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post
That's a really good idea. I'd probally only need to make the platform 6" or less, and there should adequate head room too

Quote:
Try putting the mattress in deflated and inflate it while it is in the desired position
I did try that, Either its not filled up enough to support us both, or it just pop into place ontop of the console if i fill it up more

- Wish i had a hardtop too. ive seen that done before and seems like a really cool concept

2009 Jeep JK Sahara Unlimited | Smittybilt XRC Rock Guards | Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper | Rockcrusher Front D30 Diff Cover | KC Hilities Daylighters | Rancho Oil Pan Cover | BMD Evap Skid | AEV Snorkel

Mirror Flip | Daystar dash | Painted Sahara Rims | Seat mounted Mag-lites | Gutter Grill inserts | Smittybilt Seat covers | Vent Mirrors | Spray Can-Bed Liner and Interior Paint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Croce

2009 JK Wrangler 

Anyone here happen to build a platform to do that? if so any pics or blueprint i guess you would say would help alot

post #9 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 AM
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

How about two twins

mattresss that is, or inflatable beach mattresses...their thin

AKA Catfish
post #10 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 PM
sinjin313

What are the rules for Drive on/sleep on Race Point Beach? What permits and equipment do you need?
post #11 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Croce

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin313 View Post
What are the rules for Drive on/sleep on Race Point Beach? What permits and equipment do you need?
Haven't been there yet but heres a link
Cape Cod National Seashore - Cape Cod National Seashore Oversand Beach Driving (U.S. National Park Service)

Scroll down too "BEACH CAMPING IN A SELF-CONTAINED VEHICLE (SCV)"

post #12 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 12:30 PM
BrendonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Anyone here happen to build a platform to do that? if so any pics or blueprint i guess you would say would help alot
I haven't seen a JK with a platform - but lots of KJs and KKs do it. Easy too. Another thing to consider - if you make it a bit taller, you create storage space underneath. Sacrifice a bit of room between you and the roof, but you get storage for your gear.

2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd.

post #13 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
rattlewagon
2010 JK Wrangler 

heh! try it in a 2dr! I barely make it into the back seat when I have to! I'm in luck thought, the wife loves mine but wants a 4dr.

like I always say, the only thing better than having a jeep is having 2!

post #14 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

Pretty easy to sleep in a 4dr, use a Truckbedz air mattress and it's cutout for the fender wells, plenty room

JIMBO

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #15 of 18 Old 06-29-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Croce

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Pretty easy to sleep in a 4dr, use a Truckbedz air mattress and it's cutout for the fender wells, plenty room

JIMBO
You dont happen to have a link for that do you?
I couldnt find a Custom JK air mattress anywhere

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in