Side view mirror fell off. corroded mount arm - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-18-2015, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
mkdwns

I can't seem to find a replacement part for my 2008 JK.
The mount arm corroded and broke in half. The mirror is still in great condition, so I don't want to get a complete replacement, and it's only the passenger side.

Any ideas about where to find a replacement, or does anyone have one sitting around after a mirror relocation?

quadratec doesn't seem to carry it, and as far as i can tell the mopar site doesn't have it either.

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/7TGDDni.jpg

Last edited by mkdwns; 09-18-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

wasn't there a recall on this?
post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2015, 07:27 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
And your doors are next....

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2015, 08:14 AM
avatr
2012 KK Liberty 

that's gnarly looking. have you tried a dealership? or maybe an independent body shop - they may be able to order one for you.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2015, 09:52 AM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatr View Post
that's gnarly looking. have you tried a dealership? or maybe an independent body shop - they may be able to order one for you.
Good idea. If you try the dealer be sure to bring your VIN number with you if youíre not in your Jeep. They wonít look anything up without it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2011-2016)
post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2015, 02:45 PM
avatr
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Good idea. If you try the dealer be sure to bring your VIN number with you if youíre not in your Jeep. They wonít look anything up without it.

I did not know that. good to know.
I've owned my JK for a couple of weeks now and haven't needed the dealer for anything. but will remember to take the VIN in with me.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-24-2015, 02:50 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Yea - I wanted a can or two of Gecko Green touch up paint. Dealer's parts girl wanted my VIN - I'm Mango so THAT got nowhere! Fortunately we are not a super high volume area so she was able to take the time to look it up on a color chart she found somewhere to get the paint code for the color I wanted... if she was busier I woulda had to go elsewhere or ask a friend with a Gecko to get me HIS paint code from the VIN.

I can imagine it's even worse on hard parts...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
post #8 of 12 Old 09-24-2015, 05:30 PM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

It can be frustrating at times having to give your VIN every time you want a part, especially when you know that part is the same across the board. Oh well, thatís progress I guess.

(2011-2016)
post #9 of 12 Old 09-25-2015, 09:06 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
OP - I am going to say this KNOWING i will get responses of "bull****" yadda yadda yadda (understandable because its impossible to show the audience the little electrons and the molecules moving around)- but I cant let it lay there.

That damage is electrolysis damage and more severe than normal. Because its more severe it points to you having a ground issue in your electrical system. If you don't address that ground issue - buying new parts is just feeding the monster....

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
post #10 of 12 Old 09-25-2015, 09:49 AM
duneslider

2007 JK Wrangler 

I gotta agree with bishop, something else is going on here. I will be honest and say I don't fully understand the whole electrolysis thing but I have seen what it does to stuff.

I had mirror brackets on my yj (same type metal) that the paint fell off of and they were in the weather for nearly 20 years always parked outside and hadn't corroded that badly and we use a fair amount of salt on the roads here in the winter.

If those mirror brackets are being eaten who knows what else is, I hope not the aluminum heads on the engine.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-25-2015, 11:05 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
I hope not the aluminum heads on the engine.
My biggest concern (as one who used to repair that kind of block and head damage) is that IS going on... however logic tells me its more related to a body issue - like a bad ground finding the door's electric motor, lock motor etc and using IT rather than it's "pre-engineered" path. this is the reasom there are dedicated ground wires to every accessory rather than the old school way of one hot wire and all grounds to chassis! Lets say for example the black wire on your tail light breaks way up front in the harness. Light stops working. So you ground the socket to the frame. Lifght works so your done. BUT - the ground current for that light now travels all the way though the body to get to the battery - taking the path of least resistance. Grease in the door hinge? resistance so it goes elsewhere. Atmospheric conditions then effect both pH and moisture in the environment portion of the triangle (tri being bi-metal contact, environment and electrical current). Soft metals like aluminum become sacrificial. The biggest problem is also going to be the electrical current.

In days past we had one 12V system (and if you had a stereo the speakers run on a lower voltage). We now have a 12V, a 3.8V and some other voltages - the computer and sensor circuits! More complex systems can have 7 or 8 different voltage circuits there is only ONE grounded chassis... so therefore frame and body is no longer a good place to ground and use as a "ground bus".

I would volt check the coolant at the very least... not an endorsement of their products - but a cool write up to explain process.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
post #12 of 12 Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 PM
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdwns View Post
I can't seem to find a replacement part for my 2008 JK.
The mount arm corroded and broke in half. The mirror is still in great condition, so I don't want to get a complete replacement, and it's only the passenger side.

Any ideas about where to find a replacement, or does anyone have one sitting around after a mirror relocation?

quadratec doesn't seem to carry it, and as far as i can tell the mopar site doesn't have it either.

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/7TGDDni.jpg
The JK mirrors are sold as an assembly / one piece unit. You'll have to buy a full replacement. They're easy to change, only the 2 bolts on the inside of the door. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/crown-r...FcuQHwodqVQHKQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in