Rubicon or Sport w/ Lift - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-07-2020, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
gdgraph

Rubicon or Sport w/ Lift

I realize this may fit better in the JL section, but I'll leave this here since folks with JKs may be able to speak to the last question I have about resale value since those with JKs will have more run time/experience with that.

Need advise, should I buy a Rubicon or a Sport and put a small lift/new tires on it base on the below circumstances:

I'm not planning to go off roading (there's not many places near me in the NOVA/DC area), but I don't like the way the stock Wrangler Sport looks with the tiny wheels/tires. I think that the new Rubicon package looks just perfect stock, and I don't need to go any bigger on tires/lift because I still want to be able to fit into parking garages, I don't want to sacrifice gas mileage that much (even though it may only be 2 mpgs or so), and I won't really be taking it off road.

So my question to the community is: is the Rubicon worth it or would I be better off just buying a sport and putting a 2" lift and bigger tires on it? Right now a brand new Sport is about $35k (before tax/title/dealer fees) and a new Rubicon is around $45-50k on the lower end. Unlike many cars, you get a lot more fancy gadgets, leather seats, and tech with the higher trims. I'm looking at bare bones Rubicons that don't even have leather seats, and it's not like they come with adaptive cruise control, they just look better and are more capable that the Sport. What would it take to basically get a Sport to look like a Rubicon if I upgraded tires and suspension, is that about $4-5k? And is that worth the savings over buying the Rubicon, or should I just buy the Rubicon because it will hold it's value better (I'm assuming any mods going into the Sport I wouldn't get back when I sell)?

Mantastic likes this.

Last edited by gdgraph; 08-07-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-07-2020, 06:40 AM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

U want a wrangler just to simply say u have a wrangler then get the sport and add some mods to it. Dont expect to fetch the same resale prices a rubicon does.

Also do not listen to those people that say oh a built sport can out trail a rubicon any day.

Any built rig can out wheel another rig, but at the end of the day it falls down on resale value. A built sport is still a sport.

A built rubicon is a built RUBICON. The name alone adds value on the real thing I'm not saying just a sticker lol.

My first jeep was a tj sport I didnt know anything back then, I spent money and money and money to get it to where I wanted then the engine took a crap, and at that momment I really didnt see the value of fixing it because any money I put in to it was just not gonna be gained back.

I would rather buy a stock jeep and built it my self if I have the money rather then buying a built jeep and not knowing how good its gonna last or how bad it was abused.

After I sold my tj i got a rubicon jk back in 2014. Because all i wanted to do was add some bigger tires and a lift and go.

I do all the work my self but if ur not handy or know how to do things then just buy a rubicon and add a small loft and away u go.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 Old 08-07-2020, 06:55 AM
jcarbs

If you're going to buy a Rubicon simply because you think it looks better than a sport, that's a waste of some serious cash. Make the Jeep your own instead of a Rubicon wanna be. A stock Jeep is still a very capable vehicle and can do quite a bit on trails should you desire to take it out. Before you purchase the Sport, why not check out wheel and tire upgrades, plus locate a place that will do the lift for you, should you not want to take that on. Once you determine the total cost plus the price of a Sport you can make a better judgement on your total investment.
Mantastic likes this.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-07-2020, 08:43 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Agree, other then "status symbols" owning a Rubicon for none off road use is like paying for a hooker and just talking.
cranbiz and Mantastic like this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-07-2020, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
gdgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarbs View Post
If you're going to buy a Rubicon simply because you think it looks better than a sport, that's a waste of some serious cash. Make the Jeep your own instead of a Rubicon wanna be. A stock Jeep is still a very capable vehicle and can do quite a bit on trails should you desire to take it out. Before you purchase the Sport, why not check out wheel and tire upgrades, plus locate a place that will do the lift for you, should you not want to take that on. Once you determine the total cost plus the price of a Sport you can make a better judgement on your total investment.
Let me rephrase a little, I like the way the Rubicon looks as is. If I bought I Rubicon I wouldn't do anything to it because it looks good, I like the tire size, and I won't every really off road with it. If I got a Sport, I'd need to buy new tires and wheels to get it to look the way I want and maybe a small lift. Are Rubicon's lifted any higher than a Sport? If not then I probably wouldn't lift the Sport either and just do bigger tires (maybe buy Rubicon take offs).

Additionally, the justification for buying the Rubicon is because I wouldn't have to mod it and although I'd be paying more up front, it would be worth more when I sell it, so from a total sum game would it really cost more than buying a Sport, having to upgrade tires, and selling the Sport for what a Sport and eating the cost of any upgraded tires/wheels.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-07-2020, 12:25 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

The Rubicon isn't really lifted, it has different springs than a Sport. That being said, those longer springs do provide a lifted effect. Putting Rubicon takeoffs on a Sport will result in a Sport sitting higher.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 22 Old 08-08-2020, 12:15 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
The Rubicon isn't really lifted, it has different springs than a Sport. That being said, those longer springs do provide a lifted effect. Putting Rubicon takeoffs on a Sport will result in a Sport sitting higher.
Is that an absolute on the JL's, because it isn't on the JK's

All that matters is the actual spring number.

It's possible for a JKUR w/ (for example a soft top/ no tow pkg) to have lower spring number (height) springs than (for example) a JKU sport w/ HT and max tow package.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #8 of 22 Old 08-09-2020, 03:55 PM
Mantastic

Hey I am new to the jeep family forum. I am in the process of buying my first Jeep. I have the same question as "GDGRAPH". I love the comments, but I am still on the fense. Are you guys saying buy the Rubicon for name and resale value even if you don't plan on going off road?

Either way, I am adding new wheels to my Jeep and maybe I don't know enough about the prestige of the Rubicon. I would appreciate any additional comments. Thanks.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-10-2020, 06:15 AM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Get 2 lol my tj sport my jk rubi

post #10 of 22 Old 08-10-2020, 06:36 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Rubicon from it roots in the Tjs was basically the factory rock crawler. D44s both ends, Lockers and the stronger and lower geared T box, E sway. Today's JL Base model lacks the d44 rear now the Jks had its now the "new d35". To get a d44 rear now on a base its a option. So the cost is not just stickers and a few Lux items.

BUT i dont see in the long run the Jk on up to JLs holding the value of say the Tjs in the end. They are way complicated and in 20 years will be hard to source parts for i will bet and repairs are very expensive. They hard to work on compared to the older stuff. Changing plugs means pulling the intake. Change the belt is not all that easy as well. Its like Rube Goldberg designed.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #11 of 22 Old 08-10-2020, 06:50 AM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantastic View Post
Hey I am new to the jeep family forum. I am in the process of buying my first Jeep. I have the same question as "GDGRAPH". I love the comments, but I am still on the fense. Are you guys saying buy the Rubicon for name and resale value even if you don't plan on going off road?

Either way, I am adding new wheels to my Jeep and maybe I don't know enough about the prestige of the Rubicon. I would appreciate any additional comments. Thanks.
The rubicon is not just a name tag, both front and rear axles are dana 44s. All other trims have a dana 44 rear and dana 30 front, some 2007 jks came with a dana 35 rear end and a dana 30 front.

The dana 44 from a non rubicon is not the same as the one from the rubicon.

The rubicon dana 44 is a stronger axle with more spline count then let's say a sport dana 44. You also got the diff and gears carrier that is stronger made then the non rubicon dana 44s.

You also get the electronic sway bar disconnect with a press on a button ur front end becomes disconnected making the jeep flex better.

You also get the famous 4 to 1 ratio t case witch ONLY comes in the rubicon that has stronger internals and geared low for crawling.

The T case alone is not easy to find let's say if u want to build a sport to be like a rubi, and if one does come on the market it demands a very high price

gaikwad_us likes this.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-10-2020, 09:03 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

The case for buying Rubicon or not for capability is pretty straight forward. If you can use it, it's capable.

Buying one based on resale is something which I tend to disagree with.

If you plan to finance it (and really, most do)then the 'added' resale value of a Rubicon would have to be every penny of the addition cost, plus every penny of the cost to finance that options increase in price.

A quick check of the Jeep website shows base list price of a JLU sport at $31,795, and a JLU Rubicon at $42,440, or a difference of $10,645, which works out to about $11.5K additional for the Rubicon over the sport w/ a 60 month loan @ 3% (yes, I know, many more options available, but for the sake of discussion...)

Now then, in the resale market, Jeeps are no slouch, compared to most everything else, but still, you'd have to gamble that a vehicle would retain the FULL value of a particular package, while depreciating in every other area.

Sound plausible?!?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with buying a Rubicon if that's what you want, or plan to use it, but for resale value?

NOPE!

Hoss
jcarbs likes this.

post #13 of 22 Old 08-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
The case for buying Rubicon or not for capability is pretty straight forward. If you can use it, it's capable.

Buying one based on resale is something which I tend to disagree with.

If you plan to finance it (and really, most do)then the 'added' resale value of a Rubicon would have to be every penny of the addition cost, plus every penny of the cost to finance that options increase in price.

A quick check of the Jeep website shows base list price of a JLU sport at $31,795, and a JLU Rubicon at $42,440, or a difference of $10,645, which works out to about $11.5K additional for the Rubicon over the sport w/ a 60 month loan @ 3% (yes, I know, many more options available, but for the sake of discussion...)

Now then, in the resale market, Jeeps are no slouch, compared to most everything else, but still, you'd have to gamble that a vehicle would retain the FULL value of a particular package, while depreciating in every other area.

Sound plausible?!?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with buying a Rubicon if that's what you want, or plan to use it, but for resale value?

NOPE!

Hoss
That extra 11k is well worth it for the front d44 the t case and lockers. A rubi would still hold its value far more then a sport ever would

Value for 410 gears and lockers alone would be around 5 or so k aftermarket

post #14 of 22 Old 08-10-2020, 10:05 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moezer View Post
That extra 11k is well worth it for the front d44 the t case and lockers. A rubi would still hold its value far more then a sport ever would

Value for 410 gears and lockers alone would be around 5 or so k aftermarket
That's not my point, at all.

The point is, to make it worthwhile from a RESALE only perspective, the Rubicon package would have to retain its ENTIRE value (the total cost of the package including financing).

Since vehicles depreciate can be measured in percentages, the more initial expense, the more long-term loss on depreciation.

Hoss

post #15 of 22 Old 08-10-2020, 10:09 AM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
That's not my point, at all.

The point is, to make it worthwhile from a RESALE only perspective, the Union package would have to retain its ENTIRE value (the total cost of the package including financing).

Since vehicles depreciate can be measured in percentages, the more initial expense, the more long-term loss on depreciation.

Hoss
What u really lose on is if u get a fully decked out unit, so if the OP gets a stock of the mill rubicon it's still gonna be worth more then any other trim in the long run either he sells it or not

In my opinion it's best to get a stock low end rubicon then a lower end sport and then say I wish I did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in