Is a rebuildable car title covered under warranty? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is a rebuildable car title covered under warranty?

I bought a 2012 jku with a salvage title. I have rebuilt it and had it inspected so now the title says rebuilable. My question is, if i take the jeep to a dealership to look at work that needs done on it (would be covered under warranty) how would they know if the jeep was totaled since a totaled jeep voids the warranty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 AM
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

99% no. I believe it says right in the warranty guide. Why WOULD they warranty a salvage vehicle?
post #3 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

No it will not have any mfg warranty coverage.

Nor would it be eligable for any aftermarket warranty companies coverage.

Nor will most insurance companies insure a salvage vehicle, the ones that will they will charge you a higher premium due to the inherent liability risks involved. If you already have an insurance policy on it with a insurance company you must make sure you have specifically disclosed to them that the vehicle has a salvage rebuilt title on it, if they don't know and you have an accident then they find out it was a salvage rebuilt vehicle they could deny your claim including any injuries resulting from the accident meaning you could open yourself up to a huge lawsuit.

post #4 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 AM
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

First I agree 100% that Jeep will not warranty a vehicle with a salvage title. I don't agree with their blanket policy of canceling the warranty but they do.

With regards to insurance, one of my 2004 jeeps has a salvage title and the insurance is no more expensive than a non salvage title. I am guessing it depends on why the vehicle has a salvage title. The one I have had been reported stolen, not recovered for 30 days and the insurance company paid the original owner. When it was recovered, the insurance company took ownership of the vehicle with a salvage title and sold it at a salvage auction. It had not been in a wreck or damaged, I got a great deal on it and it has a salvage title, no warranty. I did have to take the jeep to a special DMV inspection station, along with the original police report reporting the vehicle stolen and the report of its recovery and no damage to it. The inspectors looked at the reports, took in into their garage and checked for stolen parts, about 1/2 hour later gave me paperwork to take to DMV and register the vehicle.

I will say this for Jeep, earlier this year the timing belt went and as a result damaged the cam shaft. We were unable to get a replacement cam shaft for 11 weeks, there were none anywhere in North America. I complained on facebook how I have been a loyal jeep owner since 1966 and about how parts should be available, Jeep contacted me and said the part is on back order, they could not cover it under warranty, but they would provide my daughter a rental car at their expense, which they did for 9 weeks.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 12:45 PM
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

Insurance, no problem.
Warranty(or recall items), no.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Stock, for now...
post #6 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have it insured, i know that i wont be covered under warranty. my question is how do they know if it is a salvage, i cant see them running a carfax or something for every car they get into the shop for work
post #7 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 02:41 PM
josephmartins
Long-time Jeep Nut

2001 WJ 

toxicwaste29,

You might get away with it if their system doesn't report issues associated with the VIN. I suspect it does. If ever you are found out, they may be able to recover far more from you in a settlement than you "saved" pretending to be eligible.

I have to ask why this is even a question. As consumers we shouldn't expect dealerships to treat us fairly if we're always looking for ways to game the system, right?

Kind regards,

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8, 01 WJ Limited, 96 XJ Classic, 00 XJ Sport, 90 XJ Wagoneer, 97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 98 ZJ Limited, 5.2
post #8 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 PM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmartins View Post
I have to ask why this is even a question. As consumers we shouldn't expect dealerships to treat us fairly if we're always looking for ways to game the system, right?
Sadly what 99% of those on here try to do.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
post #9 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 07:28 PM
FreeLantz
Are we havin' fun yet?

2013 JK Wrangler 

Your dealer may not know these things immediately, but as soon as they turn in the warranty claim they will.

If it was totaled by the original owner's insurance company, they will have reported that to the manufacturer. So even if it hadn't been retitled yet, it would still be in Chrysler's system as not eligible for warranties. Once it's been retitled, that is also a matter of public record which Chrysler can easily check, and if it was titled as "salvage", they will see that too. Chrysler probably has a building full of employees whose job it is to prevent fraudulent warranty claims being paid.

David Lantz
2013 JKU Rubicon 10th Anniversary
Co-President, Texas Four Wheel Drive Organization - Sugar Land Chapter
facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL
post #10 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM
jellob
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
I have it insured, i know that i wont be covered under warranty. my question is how do they know if it is a salvage, i cant see them running a carfax or something for every car they get into the shop for work
So you are proposing on an open Internet forum that you might commit fraud because there's a good chance you won't get caught.

Really!
post #11 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 PM
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

If the warranty claim has nothing to do with being in an accident and is solely a Chrysler **** up how is he cheating or scamming the system? That Jeep already had its warranty paid for when it was originally purchased right? I don't think he is taking anyone elses cookies by getting warranty repairs that would have been done regardless.

Now if something needs replaced as a result of the accident that is on the op as far as i'm concerned.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM
jonballi
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had a friend who purchased a Salvaged Mustang. Ford warrantied the car.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 PM
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought a salvaged Hyundai and asked the dealership if any of it was covered (i.e. the parts that weren't damaged), and they said no.

I didn't have any problem insuring it, but as you would think when it got totaled again they didn't give me as much as a non-salvaged car.

2008 Rubicon - 2 Door - Flame Red - Automatic - MyGIG - Power Group - Deep Tint.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
post #14 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

This is from the 2012 Warranty Booklet:

3.7 Total Loss, Salvage, Junk, or Scrap
Vehicles Not Covered

A vehicle has no warranty coverage of any kind if:
• the vehicle is declared to be a total loss by an
insurance company;
• the vehicle is rebuilt after being declared to be a
total loss by an insurance company; or
• the vehicle is issued a certificate of title indicating
that it is designated as “salvage,” “junk,”
“rebuilt,” “scrap,” or some similar word.
Chrysler will deny warranty coverage without notice if
it learns that a vehicle is ineligible for coverage for any
of these reasons.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 11:18 PM
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

also be aware most insurance companies will gladly write you insurance, but when you claim they will pay liability but deny comprehensive because of the salvage title (why would they pay twice for the same car, even if you paid to fix it up?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in