JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Is a rebuildable car title covered under warranty? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/rebuildable-car-title-covered-under-warranty-1453626/)

toxicwaste29 12-23-2012 10:20 AM

Is a rebuildable car title covered under warranty?

I bought a 2012 jku with a salvage title. I have rebuilt it and had it inspected so now the title says rebuilable. My question is, if i take the jeep to a dealership to look at work that needs done on it (would be covered under warranty) how would they know if the jeep was totaled since a totaled jeep voids the warranty.

brianjw 12-23-2012 11:00 AM

99% no. I believe it says right in the warranty guide. Why WOULD they warranty a salvage vehicle?

Doctor7474 12-23-2012 11:35 AM

No it will not have any mfg warranty coverage.

Nor would it be eligable for any aftermarket warranty companies coverage.

Nor will most insurance companies insure a salvage vehicle, the ones that will they will charge you a higher premium due to the inherent liability risks involved. If you already have an insurance policy on it with a insurance company you must make sure you have specifically disclosed to them that the vehicle has a salvage rebuilt title on it, if they don't know and you have an accident then they find out it was a salvage rebuilt vehicle they could deny your claim including any injuries resulting from the accident meaning you could open yourself up to a huge lawsuit.

djm 12-23-2012 11:54 AM

First I agree 100% that Jeep will not warranty a vehicle with a salvage title. I don't agree with their blanket policy of canceling the warranty but they do.

With regards to insurance, one of my 2004 jeeps has a salvage title and the insurance is no more expensive than a non salvage title. I am guessing it depends on why the vehicle has a salvage title. The one I have had been reported stolen, not recovered for 30 days and the insurance company paid the original owner. When it was recovered, the insurance company took ownership of the vehicle with a salvage title and sold it at a salvage auction. It had not been in a wreck or damaged, I got a great deal on it and it has a salvage title, no warranty. I did have to take the jeep to a special DMV inspection station, along with the original police report reporting the vehicle stolen and the report of its recovery and no damage to it. The inspectors looked at the reports, took in into their garage and checked for stolen parts, about 1/2 hour later gave me paperwork to take to DMV and register the vehicle.

I will say this for Jeep, earlier this year the timing belt went and as a result damaged the cam shaft. We were unable to get a replacement cam shaft for 11 weeks, there were none anywhere in North America. I complained on facebook how I have been a loyal jeep owner since 1966 and about how parts should be available, Jeep contacted me and said the part is on back order, they could not cover it under warranty, but they would provide my daughter a rental car at their expense, which they did for 9 weeks.

BadTrainDriver 12-23-2012 12:45 PM

Insurance, no problem.
Warranty(or recall items), no.

toxicwaste29 12-23-2012 01:58 PM

I have it insured, i know that i wont be covered under warranty. my question is how do they know if it is a salvage, i cant see them running a carfax or something for every car they get into the shop for work

josephmartins 12-23-2012 02:41 PM

toxicwaste29,

You might get away with it if their system doesn't report issues associated with the VIN. I suspect it does. If ever you are found out, they may be able to recover far more from you in a settlement than you "saved" pretending to be eligible.

I have to ask why this is even a question. As consumers we shouldn't expect dealerships to treat us fairly if we're always looking for ways to game the system, right?

tjkj2002 12-23-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephmartins (Post 14662779)
I have to ask why this is even a question. As consumers we shouldn't expect dealerships to treat us fairly if we're always looking for ways to game the system, right?

Sadly what 99% of those on here try to do.

FreeLantz 12-23-2012 07:28 PM

Your dealer may not know these things immediately, but as soon as they turn in the warranty claim they will.

If it was totaled by the original owner's insurance company, they will have reported that to the manufacturer. So even if it hadn't been retitled yet, it would still be in Chrysler's system as not eligible for warranties. Once it's been retitled, that is also a matter of public record which Chrysler can easily check, and if it was titled as "salvage", they will see that too. Chrysler probably has a building full of employees whose job it is to prevent fraudulent warranty claims being paid.

jellob 12-23-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 (Post 14662567)
I have it insured, i know that i wont be covered under warranty. my question is how do they know if it is a salvage, i cant see them running a carfax or something for every car they get into the shop for work

So you are proposing on an open Internet forum that you might commit fraud because there's a good chance you won't get caught.

Really!

TjinTopeka 12-23-2012 09:30 PM

If the warranty claim has nothing to do with being in an accident and is solely a Chrysler **** up how is he cheating or scamming the system? That Jeep already had its warranty paid for when it was originally purchased right? I don't think he is taking anyone elses cookies by getting warranty repairs that would have been done regardless.

Now if something needs replaced as a result of the accident that is on the op as far as i'm concerned.

jonballi 12-23-2012 09:50 PM

I had a friend who purchased a Salvaged Mustang. Ford warrantied the car.

joe002 12-23-2012 10:01 PM

I bought a salvaged Hyundai and asked the dealership if any of it was covered (i.e. the parts that weren't damaged), and they said no.

I didn't have any problem insuring it, but as you would think when it got totaled again they didn't give me as much as a non-salvaged car.

ronjenx 12-23-2012 10:38 PM

This is from the 2012 Warranty Booklet:

3.7 Total Loss, Salvage, Junk, or Scrap
Vehicles Not Covered

A vehicle has no warranty coverage of any kind if:
• the vehicle is declared to be a total loss by an
insurance company;
• the vehicle is rebuilt after being declared to be a
total loss by an insurance company; or
• the vehicle is issued a certificate of title indicating
that it is designated as “salvage,” “junk,”
“rebuilt,” “scrap,” or some similar word.
Chrysler will deny warranty coverage without notice if
it learns that a vehicle is ineligible for coverage for any
of these reasons.

73azbronco 12-23-2012 11:18 PM

also be aware most insurance companies will gladly write you insurance, but when you claim they will pay liability but deny comprehensive because of the salvage title (why would they pay twice for the same car, even if you paid to fix it up?)

The time now is 06:40 AM.