rebuild or replace? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-14-2021, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

rebuild or replace?

Over the weekend, I noticed a "POP" coming from the rear axle on my 09, when turning right. Turns out that the side and spider gears in the dif are shot. The POP was the sides/spiders jumping a tooth when turning.

I think I got lucky and caught it early, as the ring and pinion appear to be undamaged. There were no chunks in the oil, just a little bit of fine material.

The dif appears to be the factory LSD (track lock I assume). Wandering if I would be better off to rebuild the track lock, or would it be better to get an open carrier and put in a "lunch box" type limited slip/locker?

EDIT: to add to the above. If you found yourself in my situation, what would you do?

Select-able locker is out of the budget, but would like to keep some type of limited slip/locker for the few times a year that the jeep is off the pavement. Just looking for thoughts on track lock vs lunchbox.

Red 2009 JKU. Needs a little TLC, but it's got good bones, and will be a nice family project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-14-2021, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

anyone know of any odd ball places to check for dif parts?
I've checked just about all of the mainstream parts places that I can think of, as well as just about all of the jeep specific places, and the trac-lock rebuild kits are out of stock everywhere.

Red 2009 JKU. Needs a little TLC, but it's got good bones, and will be a nice family project.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-15-2021, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

guess my fairy jeep mother was looking out for me LOL!!!

While I struck out on finding a "internals kit" for the trac-lock, I did find a new carrier/trac-lock assembly, and it's about 1/2 the $$.
the money saved on the carrier will go towards new bearings and seals. Only slight hiccup now, is going to be pressing on the new axle bearings without a shop press. The pressed on bearings are my one complaint about the D44 design.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-15-2021, 10:38 PM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you replace the carrier you will need to get the gears set up and shimmed properly. This is someting that most backyard mechanics can't do on their own.
You may be better off paying the extra for the parts and rebuilding the TracLoc if you plan on doing the work yourself.

I installed bearings on my diff with a well fit piece of pipe or socket and a big f'ing hammer.
The problem is when you shim the bearings properly you need a puller to get the bearings back off between shim tests.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-16-2021, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

If I could find the internal parts kit in stock anywhere, I would go that route. However, everywhere that I have found it for sale, has it listed as "out of stock".

Not too concerned about setting up the new carrier, I've done several over the years. While I do prefer working with adjusters, the shims aren't bad, just takes a little more time/patience.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a big fan of the pressed on bearing(on the axle shaft) being the only thing retaining the axle shaft in the tube.

post #6 of 17 Old 06-16-2021, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

You know, I may just swap all the internal parts from the loaded carrier, into my existing carrier. Then I won't have to mess with shims, and possibly having to reset the pinion.

post #7 of 17 Old 06-16-2021, 10:53 PM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thats a good idea, using the new carrier as a parts donor!
I never understood the axil bearings either. I asume that they figure the brakes will hold it all together if all else fails.
I installed my axil bearings in a shade tree way as well! I heated the retaining rings in the oven for awhile and slammed them on with a big piece of pipe in a slide hammer fashion. I found a piece of 1/4" wall DOM pipe about 3' long that fit well and made sure the end was squared up perfectly so the rings and bearings went on straight.

Jim

post #8 of 17 Old 06-17-2021, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

I think my dislike for the axial bearing design stems from bad experiences with them from back in the drum brake days. Back then, if the bearing failed, there was nothing to stop the wheel and axle shaft from parting ways with the axle.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-24-2021, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

Update, a little frustrated.

All of the parts finally showed up, so I started tearing down the rear axle. I got it up on jack stands, pulled the tires, drained the fluid, pulled the brakes, and started removing the retainer flange nuts.
3 of the flange studs (two on the drivers side, and one on the passenger side) are spinning in the plates.

Unless someone has a better idea, it looks like I'm going to have to pull the parking brake shoes (for easier access), and weld the studs to the retainer plates.

post #10 of 17 Old 06-30-2021, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

Got everything put back together last night after work. Only thing left to do is install the dif cover, and add oil and lsd additive.

Here are a couple pics of the side/spider gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #11 of 17 Old 06-30-2021, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

post #12 of 17 Old 06-30-2021, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

post #13 of 17 Old 06-30-2021, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

Looks like my suspicion was correct. The bevel springs, and clutch packs were totally shot, which allowed the side gears to move outward, reducing the contact area of the side/spider gears and caused them to wear.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-30-2021, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

On a less greasy note, my son got a 3D printer for his birthday, and made me a jeep grill key fob for Father’s Day.

post #15 of 17 Old 07-01-2021, 02:28 PM
calisk8er1080

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm a little late to the thread, but I was gonna suggest replacing the whole carrier as you have to ask "why did the spider gears fail in the first place?" Odds are, the whole carrier was on its way out anyway. Glad everything's back together now at least.

Been MIA from here for a while... I'm trying to be active in this community again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in