Rear fenders on JKU always get scratched.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
mightydog78

2013 JK Wrangler 

Rear fenders on JKU always get scratched..

I have a dilemma and couldn't find what I was looking for on the search tool. For some reason when my passengers in the rear get out they always run up against the rear fenders. Now I have a 4 inch long scratch where it looks like someone's belt bucket knicked it.

I was wondering if this is also happening to anyone else or if I need to find skinnier friends. Is there some sort of clear vinyl that could go over that part of the fender to protect it??

I want to find a remedy before they get scratched even more!

2013 JKU Sahara

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
they painted? i would think if painted they could have been covered in that clear film people use on cars. If they are the rough textured plastic, no. Film wont work. I am going out on a limb here, this Jeep will not see trail time. Depending on where you live with inspection changing the flairs width may not fly with the local pd. There many plastic ones after matket they are all junk. my opinion. If you can not stand on them they are not trail rated. There are many Metal ones getting in the more expensive range, they all can get scratched.

I stopped looking for scratches about 2 days after this Jeep was built in 012. been replacing plastic ever since, one part at a time.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 PM
josephmartins
Long-time Jeep Nut

2001 WJ 

I'd have to second the clear vinyl adhesive protector. It's your best bet. No different than using a screen protector on a smart phone or tablet.

If you're concerned about scratches, but don't want to alter the way the Jeep looks, clear vinyl. Note that should you decide to uninstall the vinyl down the road, chances are excellent that the paint underneath will be a slightly different shade from the surrounding paint due to fading at a different rate than the paint beneath the vinyl.

Kind regards,

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8, 01 WJ Limited, 96 XJ Classic, 00 XJ Sport, 90 XJ Wagoneer, 97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 98 ZJ Limited, 5.2

post #4 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 03:26 PM
deltabravo

I'm having a hard time envisioning how a belt buckle would scratch a flare from getting in and out of the jeep.

Sounds more like damage from a shopping cart or something else.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM
SubAtomicGenius

2011 JK Wrangler 

They swing outside of the door, the kids do it all the time. Fortunately for me, scratches are the least thing I am worried about.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM
torque77

Yeah it happens when people get out of the jeep as it is taller than a lot of people are that sit in the rear so when they get out the rear fender is almost up against the rear doors and there buttons on the back of there jeans or belts hit it.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 PM
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Same thing happens on my white fenders but they are trashed frame gravel and brush anyway. Not too worried about it at this point. One of the first things I bought were used gray fenders that already had some scuffs, but they sit in my basement. Eventually I'd like to get teraflex sliders that should keep from throwing gravel onto the door hinges and rear fenders. Maybe then ill consider repainting the fenders and putting 3m film/clear bra on the front on the fender.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in