Rancho RS66114B 4in lift - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-02-2020, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Junkyard Junkie

Rancho RS66114B 4in lift

Hi,

I have a 2008 JKUR, currently bone stock. I'm just starting the build on it, lift (3-4"), gears (5.13), hemi swap are in the near future. Plan to run 35'. I'm doing all the work for a significant savings on labor cost.

As I wait for the Copart auction to end for the hemi donor, I want to start gathering parts for the winter project.

What do you think about the Rancho 4" lift, with the rancho 9000 shocks. Price on it is about $1700. I know there are cheaper options, but is there a better option on the 3-4" lift for the price.

Yukon 5.13 gears are on the way. This isn't a money no object build. I am saving a lot by doing the work, but cash is still in short supply, so the idea is to get good parts, but not necessarily the best stuff out there.

Thanks.

Last edited by Junkyard Junkie; 10-02-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-04-2020, 10:40 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Not sure i would go ranch at 4.5. If you are going 4.5 there is more to it. The shocks i know i would pass on. I would go Franken lift of parts to do it well. Spring choice. They are not all the same at 4.5. Since at this point the lift should be all about how well it can flex. Free length is what you are looking for. Longer a spring can reach with out unseating. You shocks will be measured at that point. Good set up you should have at least 12" of travel and still stuff at 3" bumps with the shock at its full compression -.2 or so bump first shock should very close to it. Want more rear drop? just cut off and move up the rear lower shock mounts about 1.0-1.5" depends on shocks compressed. but factory its unused do to the angle the rear shocks are at.

4.5 you will need to do the the drag link flip and raised track bar axle mount. Or the steering will be to twitchy and roll center of the track bar is to far off. This mod does a lot for handling on lifts where you have a bump stop of 3", that you will.

Since you have a long wheel your choice of trans are better. I wonder if you can find a 8 speed? Even the W580 would do well. But no way would any of them need 5.13 gears at all ever for just 35s. Matter of fact if you are at say 4.1 right now might be dead on for a modern Tap shift trans like the 5 and 8 speeds or more and a Hemi.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-05-2020, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Junkyard Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Not sure i would go ranch at 4.5. If you are going 4.5 there is more to it. The shocks i know i would pass on. I would go Franken lift of parts to do it well. Spring choice. They are not all the same at 4.5. Since at this point the lift should be all about how well it can flex. Free length is what you are looking for. Longer a spring can reach with out unseating. You shocks will be measured at that point. Good set up you should have at least 12" of travel and still stuff at 3" bumps with the shock at its full compression -.2 or so bump first shock should very close to it. Want more rear drop? just cut off and move up the rear lower shock mounts about 1.0-1.5" depends on shocks compressed. but factory its unused do to the angle the rear shocks are at.

4.5 you will need to do the the drag link flip and raised track bar axle mount. Or the steering will be to twitchy and roll center of the track bar is to far off. This mod does a lot for handling on lifts where you have a bump stop of 3", that you will.

Since you have a long wheel your choice of trans are better. I wonder if you can find a 8 speed? Even the W580 would do well. But no way would any of them need 5.13 gears at all ever for just 35s. Matter of fact if you are at say 4.1 right now might be dead on for a modern Tap shift trans like the 5 and 8 speeds or more and a Hemi.
So, I did pass on the Rancho and got a teraflex 2.5" with fixed lower front control arm and adjustable front track bar. I already have a 2" body lift. My thought is to add spacers to fine tune the lift height and get new adjustable front, rear control arms and rear track bar, if necessary. I'll wait to put it together and get shocks later based on flex.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/teraflex...r-unlimited-jk

I had to struggle with the 5.13 vs 4.88, but I am going with the 5.13. I know it's a bit overkill and will not be good for highway driving, but this is not a daily driver and will mostly see in-town road use, so I'm not too concerned about the high RPMs. I want to maximize the crawl and leave room for 37s in the future.

I put in 5.13s in my '98 TJ with 35s and it turns right at 2000 RPM at 60. That's with a 5.9L magnum and 46RE. It is a bit too much gear, but I can live with it. Plus the kick in pants at take off is worth it to me.

My budget does not allow for some of the better transmissions available. I have to stick with the one that will come in the donor vehicle. Right now, I'm looking at a 2007 Grand Cherokee, with the 5.7L and 545RFE. My total budget is about 10-12K, preferably less if possible, but without sacrificing the quality of parts. Once I run through that, I'll need to stop and sell something. (Happens every time)

Appreciate the reply. I'll start a build thread soon. I can always use the help. The suspension set up is new to me.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Rancho_Lifts
Vendor

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I know you went a different route, but for the price point this system is hard to beat for an off the shelf system that bolts right on.
As 222Doc mentioned the one thing some may want to address is the drag link flip or just upgrade the knuckles.
As to the shocks, you will be hard pressed to find a better performing shock at its price point, and it has a limited lifetime warranty.

I love sharing this video, because it is pretty cool

post #5 of 5 Old 10-10-2020, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Junkyard Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho_Lifts View Post
I know you went a different route, but for the price point this system is hard to beat for an off the shelf system that bolts right on.
As 222Doc mentioned the one thing some may want to address is the drag link flip or just upgrade the knuckles.
As to the shocks, you will be hard pressed to find a better performing shock at its price point, and it has a limited lifetime warranty.

I love sharing this video, because it is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFyCP9XRJpA
I'll look into the flip. My Jeep came from NJ, so there's no shortage of rust. I'm in NM so further rusting will be slow, but the knuckles are toast. I'm looking at options right now. I've removed the front axle for a rebuild and re-gear.
I've always run the RS5000's and been happy with them.
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in