Radiator fan excessivly on even while driving. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
tripdubs
2012 JK Wrangler 

Radiator fan excessivly on even while driving.

I have a 2012 wrangler sport 28K miles. I noticed the other day while driving that the radiator fan was on. It seems to be on full blast too. The jeep isn't running hot at all. The temp needle never gets past half or even up to half way.

When I start the jeep the fan is not on. I drive it around some and it seems when it gets to full operating temperature it turns on. It did this when it was 75 out and even as low as 55 out. Seems like the fan kicks on and stays on full blast even while driving.

When I turn the car off the fan stops too. The coolant level is fine and I checked to make sure there is nothing in the fan area or radiator and there isn't. I am not running any fans such as A/C all are off. Those were the things I read to do from the threads I found. I am not sure where else to look.

TIA

Last edited by tripdubs; 06-29-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-29-2015, 02:21 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
is odd, but to be sure if you turn on the AC you do not hear the fan kick up even faster? It stays the same audibly A/c or off. I have a 2012jkr 32k on the clock and normally the fan is not heard unless the ac is on then its very loud or say crawling for hours at times it kicks in and out. The fan is as well tied into the trans temps, water temp and Ac use. So canbus tells the fan low or high.

check fan connection< the easy one
from there nothing is simple on these. but next easy might be the fan its self if the low speed is not working. But this might be speed controlled buy the canbus too. I am not sure you might have to search or tinker. Me i am the tinker the fan comes out and i start play with the inputs to see how it works. might be something simple, but never cheap as it is a Jeep. Fix it till its broke....

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-29-2015, 05:59 PM
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

check the low speed resistor that is located on the top passenger side of the fan shroud. it is more than likely cracked and shorting out, which will make the fan run a full speed.

89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy

post #4 of 15 Old 06-30-2015, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
tripdubs
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys I'll check those. Something else I noticed yesterday while driving home from work. The temp stays around half when driving around town. When I got on the highway and drove 70mph the temp went over half. Not sure why it would run hotter on the highway.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-30-2015, 02:16 PM
J3PH3RY_J33P
2011 JK Wrangler 

it's good maintenance and routine to not just change oil and filter and rotate but to backwash (from inside engine bay as well as from front grill slots thru as well ) the radiator fins with a hose if you have gone thru any dirty wet or muddy trails ....you'll be amazed at how much has accumulated and to what degree your rad is being hindered from effectively cooling things ....do not use a car wash or your own power washer but a garden hose for this (& for obvious reasons ) ...may not be your issue but it is for more jk owners than you'd guess .....
post #6 of 15 Old 07-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is the gauge in the JK even a real analogue display? Or is it a glorified dummy light like in most vehicles? Usually you can't trust the position of the needle beyond "it's not pegged so it's good enough."

Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
post #7 of 15 Old 07-01-2015, 01:20 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Is the gauge in the JK even a real analogue display? Or is it a glorified dummy light like in most vehicles?
Its computer display for "cold", "low", "normal", "high" or "overheat".
Running 215 partial load, no AC - shows "normal"
Running 225 high load, no AC - shows "normal"
Running 235 high load, AC on - shows "normal"
Running 235 partial load, no AC - should show "high"
245 should show overheat - if experienced for a set time period (expressed in trip counts)
etc.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
post #8 of 15 Old 09-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Noticed my fan is now running full blast quite frequently. It's one thing in the dead of summer with the ac running - but on a 60 degree night in September? Never noticed it before like this. Is this normal? I have 75k on the Jk now. Wondering if the casting sand issue that these engines have is somehow monkeying around here. I have noticed that the driver side vents will run cool at times with the heat on.

2013 JKU
1995 YJ
post #9 of 15 Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 PM
cherrybomb05

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
check the low speed resistor that is located on the top passenger side of the fan shroud. it is more than likely cracked and shorting out, which will make the fan run a full speed.
Had the same problem in my JK. Ended up being this resistor.

Low speed fan didn't work due to the resistor being fried, so the high speed fan was working double time to try to maintain the correct temperature. The low speed fan is more of a temperature-maintaining speed, while the high is to get it to cool down when it's hot.

07 WK
10 JKUR
11 JKR
post #10 of 15 Old 09-29-2015, 11:53 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
Noticed my fan is now running full blast quite frequently. It's one thing in the dead of summer with the ac running - but on a 60 degree night in September? Never noticed it before like this. Is this normal? I have 75k on the Jk now. Wondering if the casting sand issue that these engines have is somehow monkeying around here. I have noticed that the driver side vents will run cool at times with the heat on.
Hey Matt The Hammer,

How often have you noticed your fan running on full blast? Have you only noticed it since the weather change in your area?
post #11 of 15 Old 10-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

All spring and summer I didn't notice it. I drive roof off most of the time then.

Obviously I can only really hear it at low speeds. I think I noticed it at the end of summer through today. It's most obvious when I get off the highway and drive local roads until I get home. When I pull up to park, I you can really hear the fan roaring as it echos off the house/adjacent cars. Almost like the engine noise when you're in a plane at it's pulling up to the terminal.

Also, after cruising for a while on the highway and then getting off, the temp gauge will spike (thus kicking the fan on overdrive). The gauge normally stays slightly to the right of the mid-line. When it spikes, it will creep up to the 3/4 point. This movement of the needle is new as I would have been un-nerved if this occurred when new.

I checked the coolant level and noticed it was low. I added coolant with OAT as required for this model. It's been a few days and the frequency of the spiking as decreased. The fan still is cranking by the time I'm done driving the Jeep though.

I found stuff on line that the radiator could be dirty and causing the need for the fan to run full blast to help get air through. I never off road this Jeep. It's been very dry around here for the past month, and I don't wash the Jeep often, maybe the radiator has accumulated a nice grimy coating? It's now raining here for the past few days. Highway driving now may clean whatever may have been on the grill and fan off. (honestly, this is a stretch)

2013 JKU
1995 YJ
post #12 of 15 Old 08-10-2020, 03:10 PM
TX Hans
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
All spring and summer I didn't notice it. I drive roof off most of the time then.

Obviously I can only really hear it at low speeds. I think I noticed it at the end of summer through today. It's most obvious when I get off the highway and drive local roads until I get home. When I pull up to park, I you can really hear the fan roaring as it echos off the house/adjacent cars. Almost like the engine noise when you're in a plane at it's pulling up to the terminal.

Also, after cruising for a while on the highway and then getting off, the temp gauge will spike (thus kicking the fan on overdrive). The gauge normally stays slightly to the right of the mid-line. When it spikes, it will creep up to the 3/4 point. This movement of the needle is new as I would have been un-nerved if this occurred when new.

I checked the coolant level and noticed it was low. I added coolant with OAT as required for this model. It's been a few days and the frequency of the spiking as decreased. The fan still is cranking by the time I'm done driving the Jeep though.

I found stuff on line that the radiator could be dirty and causing the need for the fan to run full blast to help get air through. I never off road this Jeep. It's been very dry around here for the past month, and I don't wash the Jeep often, maybe the radiator has accumulated a nice grimy coating? It's now raining here for the past few days. Highway driving now may clean whatever may have been on the grill and fan off. (honestly, this is a stretch)
I know this is an old post but I'm experiencing a lot of what you describe and am interested in you were able to figure out the culprit of your issues. I also have a 2013 JK. Thanks
post #13 of 15 Old 08-12-2020, 09:19 AM
Pillswoj

2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Mine was a slow leak in the radiator, it was also not sucking the antifreeze back from the overflow bottle. When the engine is completely cooled (overnight) pull the radiator cap and check the level in the radiator. If it is low then there is a leak somewhere. Otherwise take it for a pressure test and flush and fill.

Jeff
2014 2 dr Rubicon
post #14 of 15 Old 08-12-2020, 10:16 AM
Geoskier9

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Check the bottom of the overflow bottle for “casting sand” it could be clogging everything up
post #15 of 15 Old 08-13-2020, 09:36 AM
TX Hans
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
Mine was a slow leak in the radiator, it was also not sucking the antifreeze back from the overflow bottle. When the engine is completely cooled (overnight) pull the radiator cap and check the level in the radiator. If it is low then there is a leak somewhere. Otherwise take it for a pressure test and flush and fill.
I decided to re-start the problem solving process to double check everything and eliminate all the typical problem areas - radiator cap, radiator, thermostat housing, etc.

Started with a new Mopar radiator cap. Topped off the radiator with coolant, burped it, and added coolant to the recovery tank so it was slightly above the MIN line. Drove it around in the Texas heat and got everything hot. Opened the hood and no more coolant smell from the passenger side of engine compartment (but still coolant smell from other areas). Recovery tank level was higher (near Max line). Left it to cool down overnight. Next morning the recovery tank level was back to slightly above Min. Pulled the radiator cap and coolant level was full. All really good signs that this part was working and new radiator cap had positive effects. BUT, drove around for about 2 or so hours on and off during the day. Late in day, noticed the recovery tank was below Min now, even with engine hot. Upper radiator hose was hot but soft. I let it all cool down for a while and pulled the radiator cap. The level in radiator was down quite a bit. Left it to cool overnight and this morning, I added nearly 1 qt of coolant (about 3/4 of 1 qt) to the radiator and burped air from the top hose by squeezing and tapping to get air bubbles out. Added more coolant to recovery tank. All in, I added 1 qt of coolant to a system that started out full in the last 24 hours. Where did 1 qt of coolant go to while driving a few hours?

As part of trouble shooting this more, I noticed two other coolant smell locations. 1. I get the hot coolant smell from the driverís side seat with the window down and Jeep running (parked) and if get out, can smell in this area standing by driver's door (hood closed). 2. Get a slight smell of hot coolant on right side of engine compartment. Very hard to tell where coming from, especially with that recovery tank nearby. This could be the right side radiator. Donít know if these two smell areas are the same source or independent.

Visually checked radiator from top, side and bottom and so far, donít see any signs of a leak but will need to remove the shroud and plastic surrounding pieces to get a better look inside that area. Going to pull that apart today. Very suspicious of this given all the reports and the smell.

Visually checked the thermostat housing and no signs of dried coolant in that area.

With this thing losing nearly 1 qt of coolant so quickly, I would think I would find an active leak with puddling somewhere.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in