Possible to install a Smittybilt 76857 Gen 2 Bolt-On Tire Carrier on a JK with 1” bod - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
TheHeretic

2015 JK Wrangler 

Good morning!

I did ask this question to Smitybilt Tech Support: “Can the 76857 SRC Gen 2 Bolt-On Tire Carrier for Jeep JK work with a 1” body lift?”. The response from Smitybikt was yes, however, I do not trust the tech person I was talking to understood why I was even asking the question. His demeanour on the phone was one of: “its a tire carrier, why would a body lift matter”. While with a swing away tire carrier I see the point, however, as this tire carrier connects to both body and frame; it swings with the tailgate, but the weight is held by the frame, I see an issue. Although there is a turnbuckle style connector, that I believe WOULD have enough adjustability; it is the integrated bump stop on the tire carrier plate, which is attached to the tailgate, where I see the issue. This bump stop, is shaped to accept the tube frame of the tire carrier. I see there being a one inch height difference, assuming no, or little vertical adjustability.
I had one person, online who I do not know: advise that there is enough adjustment to account for the body lift. When I asked the question to Quadretec, it was a simple: ‘No” [it cannot be done].

Is there anyone on here who has purchased this tire carrier that can confirm there is possibly enough adjustment? This will be mounted to a Jeep 10A bumper, so I will also be ordering the 10A adapter plate, which Smittybilt confirmed I will need for this install.

Attached Thumbnails
CD565880-E502-4B74-A8EF-790739F8EF6F_1575640213123.jpg  

VA3IPB

Past Jeeps
1987 YJ
1995 YJ
2005 TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 03:06 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
my math say that would be 1" to high up. perhaps it has extra holes to move it down? Being smithy i doubt it. You may have to drill the holes your self 1" lower. Just another reason why i keep saying a no good reason for BL on JK.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
TheHeretic

2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
my math say that would be 1" to high up. perhaps it has extra holes to move it down? Being smithy i doubt it. You may have to drill the holes your self 1" lower. Just another reason why i keep saying a no good reason for BL on JK.
I came to the same conclusion; however, Smittybilt stated it will work. I have serious doubts to that point. Yes, I will have to modify, I just do not know by how much depending on built in adjustabiliy. I will ASSUME there is about 5-6mm of adjustment in the design, looking at the slots on the backing plate. That means I would need to somehow find another 19 to 20mm of adjustment elsewhere on the assembly. I ordered the parts, so I'll see. If I have to remove the BL, I'll remove it.
There is nothing wrong with a BL. If you go the Atlas TC route, you will require the BL. Ask me how I know.

VA3IPB

Past Jeeps
1987 YJ
1995 YJ
2005 TJ

post #4 of 6 Old 12-07-2019, 11:02 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Cant use a atlas on the W580 auto so its moot for me and anyone that does, well you could BUT it MUST have the same stock ratios, there is no way to program the trans controller to anything over 4:1 and no way to say have more then one ratio. They talk about it at Atlas and the issue with these new autos. But the auto is very good in jeep. I would have made it fit by changing tube before i did a BL, but i dont mine cutting up a jeep. would not take to much tunnel work. For me making the body higher would only make many trails here even harder to get by with out a lot of damage. we do a lot of of camber and very tight canyons here.

But to remove it now? it would be MUCH easier to just move that saddle that the swing fits into when closed. Unless that saddle is bolted to slots in the tray? that would make it adjustable? No idea and it sounds like the maker as well. 1" is a lot.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #5 of 6 Old 12-07-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
TheHeretic

2015 JK Wrangler 

Okay, to your first point: I am not being rude, but what does the purpose of talking about an Atlas to that degree solve the point of the thread?

To the other point, which is pertinent to the thread: the saddle is bolted with slots. I am going to assume the slots are approx 12mm in length, probably close to that. So yes, I intend to utilize that adjustment. Another adjustment is the spacers that are placed on the arm for adjusting in vertically.

I appreciate your input, however unless you have this particular tire carrier your input is only antidotal.

VA3IPB

Past Jeeps
1987 YJ
1995 YJ
2005 TJ
post #6 of 6 Old 12-23-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
TheHeretic

2015 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE: The Smitybilt Gen2 tire carrier will work with 1” body lift, HOWEVER, you need to make a small adjustment to the rubber bushing that is supplied with the kit. If I am able to upload photos I’ll show the part you need to modify. It’s not a big deal to modify.

The rubber bushing that is included needs to have a notch cut out of it. I used a 4” angle grinder with a cut off wheel (it’s a hard rubber bushing). The bushing just needs to be able to sit a little lower then designed. Had it installed for a couple weeks. No issues, no rattles.
Attached Thumbnails
26052A0F-6A96-4DB4-9296-F0BE06A09F77_1577146261752.jpg   39B49462-5D9B-431A-BFF8-B3A19A786919_1577146279912.jpg   E671A208-57D6-4E7C-AEC5-807B566CDCDF_1577146295577.jpg  

VA3IPB

Past Jeeps
1987 YJ
1995 YJ
2005 TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in