Pentastar engine - Page 9 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 126 Old 12-26-2011, 02:17 PM
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictrik View Post
I have not tried to pop-start any automobile for so long it would be irrelevant to mention. Has anyone pop started a recent TJ or JK without a battery? I do not think you would get enough spark without sufficient exciter current to the alternators field winding. The Diesel engine may also not start but would have a better chance since the previously mentioned piezoelectric injectors used in modern Diesels require much less power by design and there are no spark plugs. The biggest impediment to starting a Diesel & the reason a strong battery is required is the additional draw from the starter to combat the resistance of a Diesels high compression, and the need to run glow plugs in cold weather. Diesel fuel has a much higher flash point and substantially lower kindling or auto-ignition temperature which is why it is suitable for compressive ignition without the use of a spark catalyst. This setup ultimately requires more from a starter which in turn requires more from a battery. Take the starter out of the equation on a engine warm enough not to need glow plug support and I do not see what would impede the Diesel from pop-starting; other than lack of exciter current to the alternators field winding and perhaps not generating enough force to overcome the inertia the higher resistance a Diesels compression ratio would present. Gravity from a nice hill could overcome the later...

A Diesel is also a more robust and long lived engine. The Jeep is not by any stretch a car.
Uh ok but I'd still rather have a nice high-revving gas engine for passing and for pop starting cold. The fact that you might be able to pop start a warm diesel doesn't do a heck of a lot for me, I am sure a Pentastar will last longer than I will have it, the price/maintenance/upfront cost of a diesel significantly diminish any benefit from the extra mpg, and I'm not afraid to throw a jerry can on a spare.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 Old 12-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Mictrik
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Uh ok but I'd still rather have a nice high-revving gas engine for passing and for pop starting cold. The fact that you might be able to pop start a warm diesel doesn't do a heck of a lot for me, I am sure a Pentastar will last longer than I will have it, the price/maintenance/upfront cost of a diesel significantly diminish any benefit from the extra mpg, and I'm not afraid to throw a jerry can on a spare.
OK, for your needs thats fine. I doubt we will ever see gasoline powered offerings dropped for Diesel. I just want a Diesel offering like the rest of the world has. If you use your Jeep on longer ventures, want to keep it for a LONG time, Want very low end power to move you over obstacles when just off idle, Want 30MPG, A safer fuel to place in a Jerry Can when off road in high temp conditions; then you want a Diesel. The rest of the world, even the Japanese embraced the Diesel as an optimal power source for a heavy duty off road vehicle. Only in the States do I see it not offered. A powerful modern Diesel will give you plenty of power to pass, this is a Jeep not a sports car... Those gears work both ways, A\ask any BMW 325d owner.
I find it funny how people are concerned with speed out of their trucks or off road vehicles, especially when we have some of the lowest speed limits in the western world. Some of the USA still enforces a 55mph max, majority of the nation is 65 & 75. I see the Jeep wrangler as an off road go anywhere vehicle and as such I see low end power as most crucial. There are many SUV type vehicles available in the USA that try to be all things, lets keep the wrangler true to its original design intent and refine towards that intent.
post #123 of 126 Old 12-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Mictrik
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwink View Post
What they fail to mention is that the poor guy driving that VW diesel won't have any heat in the cabin today. I used to own a jetta TDI when I lived in Maine and would commute 30 miles to work each day. I kept the TDI in a garage overnight and on cold days, I would not ever get the temp gauge to budge and best case scenario was blowing 45 degree air in the cabin.

My BMW solved this diesel problem my fitting an electric heater that supplemented the coolant- that was the fastest heating car I have ever owned, blowing heat within 30 seconds of startup.
Yes, we were speaking about starting not heating the cabin. In any event Volkswagen has a an Electric heating option in the USA now. You see they offer far less options on their US Diesels due to the smaller market for them.

Another Vid i found: It is long but it mentions the electric heater.

post #124 of 126 Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Aretelio

2007 JK Wrangler 

Wait, how did I walk into a VW TDI thread on the Jeep forums...

I was just derping around the forums and saw this about the Pentastar. I love my Jeep, but driving around in what my friend's call the lifted Grand Caravan gets old. It'd be nice to not have to deal with that ridicule. LOL!

The future will soon be a thing of the past.
post #125 of 126 Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictrik View Post
OK, for your needs thats fine. I doubt we will ever see gasoline powered offerings dropped for Diesel. I just want a Diesel offering like the rest of the world has. If you use your Jeep on longer ventures, want to keep it for a LONG time, Want very low end power to move you over obstacles when just off idle, Want 30MPG, A safer fuel to place in a Jerry Can when off road in high temp conditions; then you want a Diesel. The rest of the world, even the Japanese embraced the Diesel as an optimal power source for a heavy duty off road vehicle. Only in the States do I see it not offered. A powerful modern Diesel will give you plenty of power to pass, this is a Jeep not a sports car... Those gears work both ways, A\ask any BMW 325d owner.
I find it funny how people are concerned with speed out of their trucks or off road vehicles, especially when we have some of the lowest speed limits in the western world. Some of the USA still enforces a 55mph max, majority of the nation is 65 & 75. I see the Jeep wrangler as an off road go anywhere vehicle and as such I see low end power as most crucial. There are many SUV type vehicles available in the USA that try to be all things, lets keep the wrangler true to its original design intent and refine towards that intent.
Dude.
post #126 of 126 Old 02-17-2012, 05:28 PM
jeeptastic1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistom1
Where do you find diesel fuel--do you need to go to a truck-stop? No truck-stops where I live. What happens if you're running low on fuel and can't find it--can you run gas in a diesel in an emergency or used cooking oil from McDonalds?
Can I ask where you live? Because 99 percent of has stations have diesel fuel now, unless you live in a city then it's harder to find.

Tags
JK Wrangler , pentastar engine , rumors , speculation , thoughts , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in