Parasitic draw - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ronjenx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-28-2020, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Muddslinger012

Parasitic draw

07 jeep wrangler 3.8l, has some offroad lights, headunit with sub, amp, and speakers.

Past couple months my jeep has been having trouble starting. I got the battery and alternator checked and the both were in good working order. The other day it didnt start, jumped it, let it run for 10 min, shut it off, sat for 10 min, didnt start back up. Jumped it again, drove it for a few miles, shut it off for 30 min and it fired back up. Yesterday morning she was dead dead, couldn't even unlock the doors, no lights, no crank. Jumped it and she was fine.
Last night I hooked my multimeter in series with the battery to see if there was a parasitic draw, I was getting .15a. To me that sounds normal. I started unplugging fuses but none changed anything, I havnt finished this because I ran out of time.
Anyway this morning she didnt start again, so whatever is drawing power is getting bad, to the point where 3 mornings in a row I've needed to jump it.
So once If I finish pulling fuses and cant find the problem, what should I do next? How can I test to see if my radio/ sub/ amp are drawing? Or could the auto shops battery/alternator give a false reading?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-29-2020, 09:02 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

How old is the battery?

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-29-2020, 09:20 AM
FastCarGuy11
2015 JK Wrangler 

Try disconnecting the battery at night. If the Jeep starts easily the next morning you know it might just be the battery is going bad.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-29-2020, 09:53 AM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Normal stock JK ignition off draw is 0.035 amps, or less.

When your meter is connected to check for draw, wait three minutes to let the computers go to sleep. If you lose continuity with the meter, the three minute wait starts over when you reconnect.
jtec likes this.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in