Overheating - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Blackstang06

Overheating

hey everybody.
As you can tell by my username, I’m a mustang guy and have worked on my own car since 2008. I’m familiar with rear wheel drive cars and don’t have much knowledge of Jeeps. My wife owns a 2013 Sahara Unlimited currently with 104xxx miles. I do the general maintenance on it, ie change the oil, air filter, tires and mess like that. We live in Charlotte NC so it gets hot here. Recently the defrost light blinks during initial start up, after I believe to be about 15 seconds, the A/C kicks on and blows cold. Unsure of this issue or what to do? Also, even more recently, the car sounds like it’s louder when you drive it. At 1st I thought maybe because of the defrost light blinking and the noise, it could be that the A/C needs to be recharged, but that wasn’t it. Now the sound has gotten louder and louder and runs the entire time the engine is on. To me it sounds like the coolant fans are running on high, but the engine runs normal. Now I drove it the other day and the temp gauge will stay at or below the normal line for approximately 5-10 minutes and the engine stays quiet, but after that, the needle starts fluctuating between normal and what I call the 3/4 line between normal and red. It doesn’t climb above it because what I believe to be is the coolant fan kicking into high and cooling it back down but it just kind of floats between there. I changed the thermostat and flushed/changed the coolant/radiator fluid. Drove it and nothing changed. It’s not leaking from the water pump, thermostat housing, radiator or any of the hoses. No check engine lights so I don’t think it’s the temp sensor... anybody got any ideas or experience with this? I wanted to reach out to people with the vehicle I’m working on hoping for some knowledge from this group. Thank you for your time reading this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-12-2019, 04:03 AM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

Your Wrangler falls into a time frame when the engine heads were being sand casted. These casting would leave small sand particle within the casting that would dislodge and flow down into the radiator thus blocking the flow of the coolant. You've already admitted replacing many of the small suspected parts, but did not admit if you've had the head or radiator check/inspected.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

OK a ford lover, no problem we will go slow, like a mustang.

Above RubiconFreedom mentioned the 'sand', look at TSB attachment it has an inspection idea.

Be sure to use correct rated thermostat - 195deg.

I saw you say - no check engine light - you can have codes with the CEL off.

Coolant FANS running on high at first start- with elec fans that is suspect. You have electric fans ?

Suggestion - go to one of the auto part stores that do free scans, inquire about loaner/rental coolant system pressure tester AND get a free scan post all codes.
Price an Actron CP9670.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013sand.pdf (166.2 KB, 4 views)

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
check the over flow for sludge in the bottom a sign of the issues of sand(? )or was factory contaminated fluid/? hard to say since Fiat never really addressed the issue, not the only as well. Both can look the same.

i know on mine i did a super flush on mine after they replaced the head and REUSED? the old fluid at 20k. from out of the box new. I flushed this running to a endless supply of water until you could drink from it. then flushed that with RO water and replaced with the antifreeze mixed. I never really seen any sand in the out water going into a drum, just funky looking fluid. especially for a F******* new vehicle. Fiat is dead to me. I have two Ford trucks i would put up against any for quality, reliability. 1 has 260,000 miles the other has 200,000 miles towing hard miles. But they are both 7.3s and not really ford engines. Much like Fiat uses Cummings as there own just suck. one is 23 years old and EVERYTHING still works like a clock. The other 16 years old same thing. I would take these any where across the USA and do towing the JEEP on a trailer.(its like owning a Harley . You have a bike you need a truck.........

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in