Opinion on Smittybilt XRC bumpers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Scott08X

Opinion on Smittybilt XRC bumpers

4wheel parts is offering if you buy the XRC front and rear tire carrier bumper they will give you free the XRC fender flares (normally $400). I like the bumpers and seem to be a good cost point, just not sure about them. I wish the front had provisions for the factory foglights. I am also kind of torn between the mid and full lenght. The other I really like is the rampage bumpers. They have a rear with tire carrier as well but can't find any reviews on it. So what are your opinions? I have read bad and good about Smittybilt.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 PM
skivviss

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott08X View Post
4wheel parts is offering if you buy the XRC front and rear tire carrier bumper they will give you free the XRC fender flares (normally $400). I like the bumpers and seem to be a good cost point, just not sure about them. I wish the front had provisions for the factory foglights. I am also kind of torn between the mid and full lenght. The other I really like is the rampage bumpers. They have a rear with tire carrier as well but can't find any reviews on it. So what are your opinions? I have read bad and good about Smittybilt.

Thx
i have the smittybilt xrc, both front and rear.

no issues with the rear at all, the tire carrier is stout and the latch holding the gate is very firm. a bit better clearance coming out of an obstacle then stock.

however, after a few months of having the front now i am debating getting something a bit more minimalist. not because the bumper is failing me in any way, its just very large compared to what i thought it looked like in pictures. which is really personal taste and not the bumpers fault.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Hollywood1971

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the rear bumper but went with Rugged Ridge for my front. I love their rear bumper...the tire carrier is excellent and has everything you could ask for. As Skivvis said, clearance is awesome. Very noise-free and I really like the latch system.

CURRENT - 2012 2-door Rubicon, Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, ATX 181 with 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers

DECEASED - 2008 2-door

post #4 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 AM
drowe303
2007 JK Wrangler 

skivviss, did u bedline your fender liners?
post #5 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM
skivviss

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe303 View Post
skivviss, did u bedline your fender liners?
nope. fenders are still stock until i figure out if i want tube ones or just hacking the stock ones. the stock ones are torn up pretty good from branches and rocks trying to touch my jeep.

or if i misunderstood and you meant inside the jeep. not yet, i do plan to strip all the carpet and bedline the entire interior.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 AM
JKClay
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've got both the front and back...love em both! The back rattles a bit, but that is expected from any bumper with tire carrier. I got mine about 6 months ago and saw that deal for the free fenders just the other day...boy I wish that they would have done that back then!

09 JK, 4" Pro-Comp stage 2 lift, 1" BL, 305/70x17 Nitto TerraGrapplers, Smittybilt XRC bumpers, XRC-8 winch, ORFab rock sliders & side armor, Smittybilt I-Rack
post #7 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 AM
cvjoint
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have both and there winch and you cannot beat the price of them. They are well made and you will not have a problem for the rear if you ever go to 37's or bigger.

2008 Rescue Green 4 door. Rusty's 3.25 coils. Rough Country 2.2 shocks. JKS adjustable track bars. Teraflex lower adjustable control arms. BFG 315/70/17all terrians. Teraflex stablizer. KC slim lites. Rugged Ridge wheels.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
skivviss

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKClay View Post
I've got both the front and back...love em both! The back rattles a bit, but that is expected from any bumper with tire carrier.
i do have some rattle from my back, but i've traced it to the supposedly required third brake light mounting. i really need to double check my local ordinances to see if i can get that sight blocking annoyance off my rig.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 AM
SoCalJK

2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the front and have no issues with it. Easy to install, good quality. I agree that it would have been nice to be able to fit the factory fogs but I can live without them. Will probably get the rear when I have the budget to replace the standard rear bumper.

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4x4, Auto, Jeep Green, Tow Package, Soft top, 3 inch spring lift, MBRP Catback
post #10 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Scott08X

Question on light mounted on the bumper. Can you wire the lights on the bumper to the factory fog light switch?
post #11 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 12:53 PM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott08X View Post
Question on light mounted on the bumper. Can you wire the lights on the bumper to the factory fog light switch?
The best way to do this is to use the factory wiring to trigger a relay with the power for the new lights coming directly from the battery.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Uncfan900
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I love my front winch bumper, tough looking and holds up great.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 AM
xplosivo1
2011 JK Wrangler 

wow...thread resurrection! I got all excited and went looking for the package deal on 4wheelparts.com They don't have the flair package, but you can get the front and rear bumpers with matching rock rails. (although I have heard the rock rails are worthless)

2011 Unlimited Rubicon / Bright White....stock (but it's a very capable stock)
2007 Unlimited Rubicon / Silver / 35 BFG AT 5/13 Gears / Pro Comp 4" lift - SOLD SOLD SOLD

"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence." -GEN. JOHNSON, US.ARMY
post #14 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 AM
skivviss

2010 JK Wrangler 

Wow. My opinion on the XRC rear bumper changed shortly after this thread.

The rear latch mechanism wasn't very durable, over a few hundred miles of washboards it developed a worsening fitment until it will no longer remain latched without a ratchet strap-like solution to keep it closed.

Both the front and rear have taken some great abuse on the rocks. My issue is just with that tire carrier latch mechanism.

|
|
post #15 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM
superman
2007 JK Wrangler 

i have the front xrc bumper.. i love it, with the exception of no factory fog light mounts... but a buddy made me some brackets so i could mount them in the aftermarket light location... i love how the winch mount is recessed so it leaves the grill free for plenty of air..

i have mounted a couple of friends xrc rear bumper/carriers.. the 1st was 3.5-4yrs ago, the 2nd was this past fall.. they have changed the latching a but.. its still the same latch but they have added a bracket to ensure a tight fit. they have figured how to stop the handle from coming loose.. on the intigrated hitch, they have beefed up a bit.. its 500lb tongue weight n 5,000lb towing.. even tho the jk is supposed to haul a max 3,500lb

07' JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

www.hof4x4.com

Tags
bumpers , JK Wrangler , review , smitty built , wrangler , xrc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in