Offroad Fuel Economy - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-30-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Offroad Fuel Economy

While I know this is an odd ball question, but something to consider. In my previous jeeps I had a pretty good idea of how long I could run offroad on a tank of fuel. Being that this is my first JK I am in the trial and error phase so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to do the North Padre beach run this summer. It is 60 miles each way along the water line. There are numerous side trails to explore along the way so say round trip with some side trails 150 miles. This should be a 4hi run as it is sand and not exactly "hard" by any means. The speed limit is 15mph-25mph depending on time and area so it is a long duration type of run. I figure 4 hours each way.

Now my question for those that have run the JKs for a while offroad could you comfortably run 8 hours on a tank?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-30-2018, 07:58 AM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAdams1 View Post
While I know this is an odd ball question, but something to consider. In my previous jeeps I had a pretty good idea of how long I could run offroad on a tank of fuel. Being that this is my first JK I am in the trial and error phase so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to do the North Padre beach run this summer. It is 60 miles each way along the water line. There are numerous side trails to explore along the way so say round trip with some side trails 150 miles. This should be a 4hi run as it is sand and not exactly "hard" by any means. The speed limit is 15mph-25mph depending on time and area so it is a long duration type of run. I figure 4 hours each way.

Now my question for those that have run the JKs for a while offroad could you comfortably run 8 hours on a tank?

Heres a close example. Did an all day trip that started at 9am on the trails, lunch on the trail, town for dinner, night ride til 1am. Big rocks, woods trails, gravel roads. 140 miles in one day. Used a little over 3/4 tank. Mine is a 2dr with an 18.5. Fill up before you get on the trail. Tank will last all day. If you are concerned, just bring a jerry, rotopax, or if you can secure a 5 gal... Youre likely good though.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #3 of 3 Old 05-30-2018, 09:35 AM
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

You should be fine as long as this isn't 150 miles of soft deep sand like you'd typically find at a dune where you're using excessive throttle to overcome the resistance, in which case you'd need massive amounts of fuel far beyond what the OEM tank can carry. If it's basically just unpaved smooth road-way you'll be totally fine as the fuel requirements are pretty similar to just being on the road.

In general, there's no way to base fuel consumption on hours or miles. I've burned a full tank of gas in just a few hours deep snow wheeling where you're basically just at full throttle the entire time. I've also done around an 8 hour run of the Rubicon and used only 1/4 tank of gas. It's completely dependent on what you're doing, not miles or hours. I usually figure 1-2MPG for deep snow (not much experience with sand but I believe deep soft sand would be similar), 2-5MPG for crawling anything in low range, and 5-10MPG for general off-road driving at speed in 4Hi.

Something to keep in mind is that if you're on very steep inclines or side hills for extended periods of time, if your fuel tank is running low you can starve the pump since the fuel moves around in the tank and the pickup goes dry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in