No more tire envy--for now, BUT I have some rubbing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
chrisguags
2008 JK Wrangler 

No more tire envy--for now, BUT I have some rubbing

I just installed 35" Duratracs with Level 8 Guardians onto my 2dr JK, only has a 2.5" RC spacer lift on it. Everything clears, driving on the road is fine. But when reversing at full turn (or close to it at least) I have some rub on the air dam. How much should I trim? Can I leave it on and trim it or do I have to take it off?

ALSO, important, the pinch seam. I read up a lot about cutting it. It's not hitting, yet lol, but what do you guys suggest? I'll post a couple pictures.

Sitting on a curb, the pinch seam is quite close (next post also):

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
chrisguags
2008 JK Wrangler 

As you can see, just from sitting on the curb, practically no flex and its very close. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
McDonell

Nice!

post #4 of 14 Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Xodius
2008 JK Wrangler 

First, close only counts in hand grenades and horse shoes.
Second, look great!
Third, I have 35's on MB72's and they are about that close. When I stuff them on the trail I would hop out and look how close they were to the seam but it always appeared that the distance wouldn't change much. You could always trim or hammer it back. Not sure if I will or not just yet. Although I have been jonesing to plasma cut something else on my rig lol.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Ruby_Tuesday
2012 JK Wrangler 

When in doubt, cut it out......Cut the pinch seams, takes 5 minutes?...
I cut the air dam on the jeep with a razor knife, I cut a stright line took off about 6"
post #6 of 14 Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
chrisguags
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday View Post
When in doubt, cut it out......Cut the pinch seams, takes 5 minutes?...
I cut the air dam on the jeep with a razor knife, I cut a stright line took off about 6"
Yes, takes 5 minutes but I don't have any JB weld/similar antitrust coating and I would need to borrow a friends Sawzall. I want to cut it, but with my current tool situation, it becomes a hassle.

I'm definitely going to cut the air dam with a razor knife right now though and see if it keeps rubbing. I'll just have to keep cutting until I find out haha
post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 PM
river2c
2014 JK Wrangler 

Pull the air dam off as it's flimsy and will get destroyed off road anyway. The pinch seam should be OK. The tires can't get any closer because they rotate on the axis of the fixed control arms. Can't hurt to trim the sharp corner if you are uncomfortable with the clearance though.

2014 JKU Copperhead
post #8 of 14 Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

You can simply take a hammer and smash that pinch seam flat.

As your axle droops the tire will move closer to the center of the vehicle so checking during stuff really wont tell you anything. The higher the lift you have the more your axle will travel as well unless you are running a nicely set up long arm.

If you learned something new today, you had a good day.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Also keep in mind that the control arms have rubber bushings that compress. Just because it doesn't run when it's static doesn't mean it will clear when you're trying to dig out of a hole or something.
It just takes a minute with a sawzall to trim the pinch seam. Stuff some epoxy or RTV sealant in there like a lot of us do, and cover it with paint.

You can remove the air dam or trim it. I removed mine initially, then I decided to cut it with a jig saw. I just stuck masking tape as a rough line of where I wanted to cut and went at it.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
chrisguags
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think I'm just going to hammer it flat and cut it off at a later time. I already trimmed the air dam and that was so simple.... Didn't even make a line. I just started cutting down the line already on the air dam. Went well
post #11 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Spike6901
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Also keep in mind that the control arms have rubber bushings that compress. Just because it doesn't run when it's static doesn't mean it will clear when you're trying to dig out of a hole or something.
It just takes a minute with a sawzall to trim the pinch seam. Stuff some epoxy or RTV sealant in there like a lot of us do, and cover it with paint.

You can remove the air dam or trim it. I removed mine initially, then I decided to cut it with a jig saw. I just stuck masking tape as a rough line of where I wanted to cut and went at it.

'14 WK2: Armor, Dog Taxi
'17 JKU: Lift, Armor, more...
'97 ZJ: Lift, exhaust, more...
post #12 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Spike6901
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguags View Post
I think I'm just going to hammer it flat and cut it off at a later time. I already trimmed the air dam and that was so simple.... Didn't even make a line. I just started cutting down the line already on the air dam. Went well
The air dam, although gay, does help to keep your hood from fluttering so bad on a windy day at highway speeeds. So, if you can trim it, you would be better off until you destroy it anyway.

'14 WK2: Armor, Dog Taxi
'17 JKU: Lift, Armor, more...
'97 ZJ: Lift, exhaust, more...
post #13 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 PM
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike6901 View Post
The air dam, although gay, does help to keep your hood from fluttering so bad on a windy day at highway speeeds. So, if you can trim it, you would be better off until you destroy it anyway.
If you wheel your Jeep it will come off.....................

Sean

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
post #14 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
xflstl

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike6901 View Post
Daystar hood latchs fix that flutter like right now.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
2.5 inch lift , 35s , duratrac , guardian , rubbing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in