New JK owner's soft or hard top? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-13-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
lincolnmatthews
2015 JK Wrangler 

New JK owner's soft or hard top?

I'm about ready to pull the plug on my old YJ & buy a 2015 2-door Rubi. Haven't driven any yet, but I like the soft top, but was wondering if its more prone to leaking than the hard one? I swore that I would never buy a new one unless it had been pouring rain for days (which it usually does this time of year here, but its been pretty dry lately) and then I could check for wet carpets at the dealer before I bought it.
Do you guys like your soft top? are they fairly quite?. I've had a Sailcloth on my old YJ & I'm ok with it other than a air leak over the pass front door that I was never able to fix, (its quite on the drivers side)
Sorry for the long post, & I know that I have to test drive some, but there's none really close by, so thought I would ask first.
Also like so many, I will be really Pissed after spending 35-40k & have wet carpets!, I didn't with my YJ after I found the leak!
Maybe I should wait till it does rain again before I buy one???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnmatthews View Post
I'm about ready to pull the plug on my old YJ & buy a 2015 2-door Rubi. Haven't driven any yet, but I like the soft top, but was wondering if its more prone to leaking than the hard one? I swore that I would never buy a new one unless it had been pouring rain for days (which it usually does this time of year here, but its been pretty dry lately) and then I could check for wet carpets at the dealer before I bought it.
Do you guys like your soft top? are they fairly quite?. I've had a Sailcloth on my old YJ & I'm ok with it other than a air leak over the pass front door that I was never able to fix, (its quite on the drivers side)
Sorry for the long post, & I know that I have to test drive some, but there's none really close by, so thought I would ask first.
Also like so many, I will be really Pissed after spending 35-40k & have wet carpets!, I didn't with my YJ after I found the leak!
Maybe I should wait till it does rain again before I buy one???
I live in Florida where it rains a lot. I bought 2 2013 JK/JKU on the same day. Both soft tops and both of them leaked pretty bad during the first bad rain storm we had. I was a bit upset at first, but after taking both tops down for first time, and then putting them back up, neither one of them has ever leaked again.

I've owned 3 Jeeps in my lifetime and all soft tops. Personally, I would never buy a hard top.

Mike
post #3 of 15 Old 03-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

with the new sun rider soft tops I heard they are a lot more quite then the old ones, I have one for my 4 door but have yet to use it due to its still new lool and its still winter season out side

post #4 of 15 Old 03-13-2015, 11:43 AM
RAZORBILL

2014 JK Wrangler 

I'd get the hardtop. It easier (cheaper) to buy an aftermarket soft top than a hardtop. I live way out on the coast but if you keep an eye out on cl you may score a soft top from someone that got the dual top option and doesn't need/use it. I saw a few last year when I was looking but it was never convenient to make the 4 hr trip to Seattle. In the end I just got a Trektop and colored it done. No leaking issues with either top.

If you are shopping for a Jeep near Seattle check out Rairdon Jeep in Kirkland. I got a good deal there with little to no hassle. Can't speak to their service dept but the sales part was easy with no drama or screwing around.

Previously owned: 80 CJ-5, 97 TJ,99 XJ, 95 YJ,10 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 10 JK Sport
post #5 of 15 Old 03-13-2015, 12:17 PM
JLH
2013 JK Wrangler 

Both tops have the potential to leak. The real question you have to ask yourself is if you really want to mess with taking the hard top on and off every year. Also, do you have a place to store it during the summer months? Here locally guys that thought they would be okay with leaving the hard top on year around felt unsatisfied and cheated from the whole Jeep experience. The hard top with the freedom panels removed just isn't the same as a soft top being down. After a year or two of screwing around with the hard top and trying to store it, the guys around here sold them and run the soft top year around. YMMV.

Ah, how beautifully the orchestra sounds before a rain! In a dry sunny day there is no way for the instruments to sound this way!
post #6 of 15 Old 03-13-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
lincolnmatthews
2015 JK Wrangler 

I hate to admit it but all the yrs I've owned my YJ I have never dropped the top!. I know I guess I have missed the full Jeep experience. Well for along time it was kept inside at our cabin & only got used during some vaca's & it rains a lot there. But for the last few yrs it has been my DD but again every time I thought about dropping it then the weather would turn to ^*(%. Besides I work in a harbor with lots %^*$hawks & they crap everywhere!!
Anyway I prefer the soft top, but just have to drive them to know for sure.
Only thing is one dealer has a New Rubi Soft top at 38k & one has a used 015 w/500 miles with the hardtop for 33k,(these are just asking prices) I guess this should be a no-brainer, get the hardtop! I just don't really like the same color top as the body! I could paint it blk but won't

Thanks you guys!
post #7 of 15 Old 03-13-2015, 03:09 PM
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have both on my 04. The hard is fine in the snowy maine winters but its a pain to remove and store for the rest of the year. My next jeep will be soft only.

How's that Hope and Change workin for ya?

Black Jeep Club v1.0 and v2.0 #1776

2004 Rubicon
2013 JKU Sport
1969 M715
post #8 of 15 Old 03-13-2015, 05:43 PM
1slosvt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Honestly, I'd just skip the hardtop. The soft top on my JKU is quiet and doesn't leak a drop. It's easy to put down and VERY easy to just flip open the sunrider. With a hardtop you have more potential for leaks, you have storage issues and you get lots of days in the late fall/ early winter and late winter/ early spring where you wish you hadn't put the hardtop on quite yet.

-2012 JKUS
-2014 GC Laredo
-2k xj
post #9 of 15 Old 03-13-2015, 08:13 PM
RAZORBILL

2014 JK Wrangler 

Another thing to consider is security. While nothing will keep out a determined thief I would say a soft top draws the attention of the lazy ones. I still vote for the hard top. I built a rack for mine and come Spring off it comes. I keep it outside and it does just fine.

Previously owned: 80 CJ-5, 97 TJ,99 XJ, 95 YJ,10 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 10 JK Sport
post #10 of 15 Old 03-14-2015, 12:16 AM
duneslider

2007 JK Wrangler 

I have both and they both have goods and bads. However, I haven't used the soft top in years. Hard top in winter and then bikini top in summer. That's what's been working for me for the last few years.

07 JKU Wrangler
10 XK Commander Limited
post #11 of 15 Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
lincolnmatthews
2015 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the feedback on the tops! Well I just bought a new Rubi with the soft top today! Of course I'm in Love with my new Rubi! The top seems quite enough for me, it still feels like a Jeep with the softtop!. Now I have to put the old YJ out to pasture (by the road with a for sale add) so difficult after all these yrs & memories! Never once let me down way out in the interior of BC CA!
post #12 of 15 Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 PM
ryanryan03
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would get the hard top. I have a 2010 jk with a soft top and rented one with a hard top and it was night and day. The hard top is so quiet. Plus a two door is a pita to find a CL hard top. JKU is simple. JK is rare on there. I live in Houston.

My Jeep: 2010 Black JK Mountain Edition / Waiting patiently for the Zombie Apocalypse...
post #13 of 15 Old 03-14-2015, 11:28 PM
pentastarguy
2015 JK Wrangler 

enjoy your new jeep.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-15-2015, 08:23 AM
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

My hardtop leaks like a sieve!!! Haven't had any problems with the soft top yet (I'm looking around now for the hardest piece of wood I can find to knock on).
post #15 of 15 Old 03-15-2015, 09:25 AM
nrifenbark
2015 JK Wrangler 

I had a TJ with the factory soft top and was not impressed. Top up it drummed at highway speeds and the entire jeep experience was loud. Getting the top up and down was a pain. But that was a TJ. The JK is a much improved vehicle and I understand that the soft tops have been significantly improved too.

My 2015 JK is a hardtop and I really like it. I live in AZ and currently have the freedom panels off and replaced with a Trek Armor shade. Works well.

I will soon have a garage built on my property and am going to have the interior height of the garage high enough to be able to install a pulley lift that will lift the hard top off the jeep tub and leave the top suspended in the garage. That way I can drive without the top but replace the hard top on the jeep with relative ease. Hopefully, that will be the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in