New JK build: Dynatracs, Currie Rock Jocks or G2s? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

New JK build: Dynatracs, Currie Rock Jocks or G2s?

I have a new 2013 JK Sport with a standard transmission. I am looking into replacing the front Dana 30 with either:
-Dynatrac
-Currie Rock Jock
-or perhaps the G2 Dana 44

Any suggestions as far as what is best?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

pretty happy with my Dynatrac Prorock 44 Unlimited HD

Friend had a problem with a early model of prorock and dynatrac actually warrantied it after the 1 year period was already up. Made my decision very easy which axle I was going to buy.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Either Dynatrac or Currie.

What size tire you looking at running? What kind of wheeling do you do?

2016 TJ of the Year

Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Dynatrac would be the best and the most expensive. Not sure why you are doing the swap, are you looking at a 44, 60, or 9 inch?
What size tires?

If you learned something new today, you had a good day.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM
SubAtomicGenius

2011 JK Wrangler 

Don't think G2 makes a JK D44 unless they have done so recently. Another option is the Teraflex 44. Posted an interesting thread about tube strength, I should add the RockJock to the list:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...stock-1288838/
post #6 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM
awinski

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Don't think G2 makes a JK D44 unless they have done so recently. Another option is the Teraflex 44. Posted an interesting thread about tube strength, I should add the RockJock to the list:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...stock-1288838/
just read up on that, great article!
edit: i read it as an article, all at once. meant to say thread haha

The ONLY chlorophyll JK
one more horse power than the average pentastar;

twitter/IG - @Becauseracejeep
post #7 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM
bo9roadking
2012 JK Wrangler 

I went with the Dynatrac PR44U. It is much stronger than the stock axle, works great with RCV's and Reid Knuckles with either a Rubicon e-locker, an ARB, or something else of your choosing. The added benefit is the extra built-in caster to keep your pinion angle in good alignment with the front driveshaft for reduced vibration and still keep your lifted Jeep's steering caster at or better than stock so it doesn't feel twitchy while driving down the road.

You can run a large tire on this axle with no fear of bending the inner C's because they are larger than a standard Dana 60 and almost as large as the ProRock 60. The PR44U axle tubes are also almost the same strength as the Dynatrac ProRock 60 axle tubes. They are the same 1/2" wall thickness and there is only a 1/8" difference in the outer diameter between them. Also, with the axle wall thickness being 1/2", it has the same inner diameter as the stock axle so you can use stock Mopar inner axle seals.

Dynatrac is more expensive than the others, but IMO it is the best product out there and it is made in the U.S.A.

2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl

Last edited by bo9roadking; 01-10-2013 at 08:12 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
Either Dynatrac or Currie.

What size tire you looking at running? What kind of wheeling do you do?
I am doing 37"s and probably the most extreme wheeling I do would be something like Holcomb Creek in Big Bear (nice boulder-crawling), or the Escalator on Hell's Revenge in Moab.
Thanks for your help!
post #9 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdogdude View Post
I am doing 37"s and probably the most extreme wheeling I do would be something like Holcomb Creek in Big Bear (nice boulder-crawling), or the Escalator on Hell's Revenge in Moab.
Thanks for your help!
I am looking to get 37's. I would like a beefier axle than the 30. I do some moderate to difficult wheeling.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
The added benefit is the extra built-in caster to keep your pinion angle in good alignment with the front driveshaft for reduced vibration and still keep your lifted Jeep's steering caster at or better than stock so it doesn't feel twitchy while driving down the road.
I can agree with this, I can pretty much drive my JK on 35s and only need to hold 2 fingers on the wheel, the extra caster is a huge help.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another viable option is to find a JK rubi takeoff

2016 TJ of the Year

Founder,

post #12 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 PM
SubAtomicGenius

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ Still should *technically* and *ideally* sleeve and gusset a Rubi 44 with 37's. Same tube size and inner "C"s as the D30 = prone to bendy, bendy. However, if the price is right and you have a welder handy...
post #13 of 20 Old 01-11-2013, 05:26 AM
SlvrJK08

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm running a dynatrac prorock 44 up front and a g2 built currie rock jock 30 dana 60 out back. Very happy with both axles, definitely a big step up form the factory crap.

2008 JK X 2-door, 37" MTRK's, Xenon narrows, 3" Synergy frankenlift, Prorock 44 front with 5.13's/rcv's/rubi locker, Rock Jock 60 rear w/ 5.13's and a Detroit, and lots of armor...
post #14 of 20 Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
^^^ Still should *technically* and *ideally* sleeve and gusset a Rubi 44 with 37's. Same tube size and inner "C"s as the D30 = prone to bendy, bendy. However, if the price is right and you have a welder handy...
Prone to bending is a understatement, after about 4 months of running 35s on 4.5BS rims I had already bent mine so bad the camber was out of spec.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM
KrawlOff-Road
2007 JK Wrangler 

Another option would be from Solid. We have a pair of D60's on order with them for a great friend of ours and they are shapping up to be great!

The PR44 is a favorite of mine and many others.

I was also going to mention the Tera44 from TeraFlex but it was already mentioned. I think these should get more attention than they do!

-Jason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in