new jeep owner questions on performance upgrades - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-04-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
cfdfire40
2008 JK Wrangler 

new jeep owner questions on performance upgrades

i just got my first jeep 2008 unlimited sahara first owner installed 3" suspension lift and 35 inch tires its a six speed manual. it has the 3.8 which seems underpowered to me but again i know nothing about these this is totally new to me. i wanna improve performance but dont wanna waste money on a bunch of upgrades if i dont have too. was just wanting some input on what is the best bolt on mods i know exhaust and air intake but some people have told me im wasting money on that. any input is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Rudinater

2009 JK Wrangler 

Did you regear when the larger tires were installed. If not then that is your answer.

After market air intakes, throttle spacers, free flow muffler system do very little if anything to increase the power.

If you really want to add power then look into either the STS turbo system or the Ripp Supercharger. Both add 100hp at the wheels and will set run you about 5K for the bolt on kits.

The other option is a Hemi V8 swap out which will run you 20-25K

Thanks
Rudy Ackerman
In Oregon for now

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 05:52 AM
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

IMO the best order and best bang for your buck is Tuner (a few hundred), re-gear (1-1.5k depending on area), exhaust because I enjoy the sound and clearance nothing related to performance

truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies...

post #4 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

Most likely, your Sahara came equipped with 3.21's. To increase your performance with the 35 inch tires, I would look at re-gearing first, then maybe a tuner.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Vin

2012 JK Wrangler 

The BEST upgrade would be regearing. The Cheapest upgrade would be a programmer. Regearing will allow you to use any HP gains to their most benificial, this includes a supercharger.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Regear (4.88) is going to be the only money well spent, without dropping five pounds on a supercharger, as mentioned above.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
cfdfire40
2008 JK Wrangler 

im sure the last owner did not regear after the suspension lift and 35 in tires. i hope this isnt a dumb question but do i change gears in both axles? i do a lot of daily driving and offroading will only be on weekends when i have time so what size gear should i go with?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
BManz
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdfire40 View Post
i hope this isnt a dumb question but do i change gears in both axles? i do a lot of daily driving and offroading will only be on weekends when i have time so what size gear should i go with?
YES DO BOTH AXLES unless you want it to become a 2-wheel drive only vehicle. Yes you need to do both axles or you won't move well and start breaking things quickly when going into 4WD if you have different front/rear axle ratios. Given the old engine and tall tires a 4.88:1 would be a good fit to overcome some of the tire diameter affect on power.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
RIPPMODS
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdfire40 View Post
i just got my first jeep 2008 unlimited sahara first owner installed 3" suspension lift and 35 inch tires its a six speed manual. it has the 3.8 which seems underpowered to me but again i know nothing about these this is totally new to me. i wanna improve performance but dont wanna waste money on a bunch of upgrades if i dont have too. was just wanting some input on what is the best bolt on mods i know exhaust and air intake but some people have told me im wasting money on that. any input is much appreciated.
There's 100 ways to build a JK - one way! - Gears is one of them, with or without a SC.
  • 2008 Rubi 4dr
  • Auto
  • 37X13.5in Tires
  • 5:38 Gears
  • MBRP Exhaust
  • RIPP Headers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in