New Aluminum Door Handle JK - Opinions? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cranbiz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-10-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
dvanzant

New Aluminum Door Handle JK - Opinions?

I was challenged to make a set of aluminum door handles for the JK and this is what I came up with. Keep in mind this is the first try. I need to clean up the cnc program a bit to improve the finish.

What are your thoughts on the overall look? Any thoughts for improvements?

Attached Thumbnails
HANDLE.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 AM
Randglerjk

Looks good. Id like to see how it looks like on a door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
dvanzant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randglerjk View Post
Looks good. Id like to see how it looks like on a door.
Thanks! I plan on doing a check fit this week and will machine a set once verified. I'll post another pic once it's installed.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 01:42 PM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanzant View Post
Thanks! I plan on doing a check fit this week and will machine a set once verified. I'll post another pic once it's installed.

So this uses the underlying spring and mechanism, but is a complete handle replacement? Id be interested depending on price. Rampage makes something similar. I dont like the design, but would like metal handles. Rampage does aluminum or stainless. I wouldnt put chrome, polished or raw aluminum on my rig. They need to be black - flat preferrably - or need to be able to make them black at a powder coater.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #5 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
dvanzant

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
So this uses the underlying spring and mechanism, but is a complete handle replacement? Id be interested depending on price. Rampage makes something similar. I dont like the design, but would like metal handles. Rampage does aluminum or stainless. I wouldnt put chrome, polished or raw aluminum on my rig. They need to be black - flat preferrably - or need to be able to make them black at a powder coater.
Thanks for the input!

Correct, it will install in place of the existing handle without any mods.

I have the same opinion, there are some existing aluminum handles out there but I'm not in love with any of them. I can understand their look though as the challenge is to come up with something that can be machined efficiently. The more "organic" the shape, the longer it takes to machine... more time = more cost.

Same opinion on the finish as well. I prefer black (or darker color) and maybe a machined accent or exposed aluminum. The handle would most likely need to be anodized as the thickness of a powder coat might hurt the push button function.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 02:01 PM
Randglerjk

Why dont you look at the tailgate hinges of the JL and use that style for the handle. If you can make the handles appear seamless like those hinges youll have a best seller.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
dvanzant

Quote:
Why dont you look at the tailgate hinges of the JL and use that style for the handle. If you can make the handles appear seamless like those hinges youll have a best seller.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Could you clarify a bit as to what you would change about the one I did and what you really like about the JL hinges? You can be critical about mine, I don't mind.

Here's why I ask... relating to the hinge, I could create a simple profiled block with a few holes in it and it would only take a few minutes to machine and, unfortunately, it would look like a turd. I could also create something that has great shape and style but might not be "geometric" and it would take hours to machine. I'm trying to find the balance for something that looks good but is cost/time effective.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Randglerjk

That hinge has a classic toolbox style look to it and with it being painted it goes well with the car. That look is classic.

This handle is from a toolbox. How can this be redesigned to be a wranglers handle? This is what i would like on my jeep. Metal on metal - which is what what i like about your handle (the fact that its metal). Oh and will you make a plastic base to protect the paint?

post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 04:45 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Unlike some, I really like your design. It looks sleek and modern to some degree.

I could see those on mine.
dvanzant likes this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #10 of 10 Old 03-15-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
dvanzant

Quote:
That hinge has a classic toolbox style look to it and with it being painted it goes well with the car. That look is classic.

Oh and will you make a plastic base to protect the paint?
Ok, I know what you mean now. The appealing part of that tailgate hinge is what makes it hard to machine. it much faster to make something that has straight or angled walls. The smooth flowing surfaces require a much longer machine time thus increasing the cost.

And yes, there will be something that protects the paint. It will probably be simple die cut rubber pieces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in