need power steering help/diagnose/delphi swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 12-19-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
johnny9

2012 JK Wrangler 

need power steering help/diagnose/delphi swap

2012 jku sport auto.

i can build a engine and suspention,welder/fabricator all my life but having more trouble with the power steering than ever in 40 yrs.

i hit a tree and broke the sector shaft
got a cheap one from parts store,just so happened to be a delphi box.
went back to rock quarry and changed box. prob didnt bleed correctly but seemed to get all air out and drove 8 mi or so to get home.
noticed at the 4 stop signs going home jeep wont turn at all at stop signs.then when i take off and rpms raise it seem to work fine again?

next day and today, for hrs,ive jacked it up and turned wheels lock to lock slow and steady. working fine no air no fluid loss or leaks i can see and i went under it with flashlight also,many times.
then let down on ground,and did same thing again,bleed turning wheel maybe 20 more times.no air no whine,can see the fluid coming in from return line and see its flowing. cranked jeep and did it again 15-20 times

take it for a ride again,3rd time now,all works great in my yard,turns left and right all over my 2 acres and all works amazing,till i get on paved rd and man it drives so good better than ever since ive owned it.

then i stop at sign,turn left and cant turn the wheel.. so get straight again and drives perfect,i can swerve and all fo a mile and power steer works great again, go to turn in my driveway slowing down and whalla, does it again and have no steering.

so i rev it up a little in neutral and its hard to make it turn then ,it kinda just releases and starts working again in my yard. wtf,pump went bad from the hit?

wondering if when i bumped the tree,and broke the sector shaft, if maybe it broke a pressure valve in the pump?
or hurt the pump from the 1 ton steering and 37,s pushing back on it at time of bumping tree?

on a side note,the new delphi box was installed on my 2012 wrangler so i assume there the same since i realized its a older box.but the one i want to drill for hydro someday soon anyhow so i read i got lucky.

and the collar from the steer shaft that bolts to the gear box i noticed even when tight the collar is loose and i can slide it a 1/8 inch back n forth even tho bolt is tight and thru the slot? makes no sense unless the delphi gear box shaft is smaller than the 2012 box that was in it.. my jeep has 125k miles and well taking care of mechanically . youd never no on the outside tho. i work it on the weekends pretty hard .
at the moment the steering is more important than the collar. need help?. figure i should just go buy a new pump and hope it fixes it? the pump is clean and has no sign of leaks as well and always worked till i hit the tree at a slow speed,just misjudged the 3 inch space i had to fit :-)

Attached Images

JACK OF ALL TRADES,,,MASTER OF NONE

fla cracker head born and bred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-20-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
johnny9

2012 JK Wrangler 

seem to have the steering working better,been driving around and turning a lot,seems to have loosened up a bit.
seems like a spot when driving straight that theres a spot to where,when i snap the wheel gently to the right it seems like it has a hard spot then lets loose.. weird. getting better.
have a new replacement coming tomorrow.. if its not the delphi like i got lucky to get last sat , im not swapping it. id rather keep it and send it to westtexasoffroad.com gonna have to go psc steering this up and coming year..

if anyone knows if the 07-08 intermeadiate shaft coupler that connects the shaft to the box,has a diff coupler than the newer jeep plz let me no so i no what i need..

JACK OF ALL TRADES,,,MASTER OF NONE

fla cracker head born and bred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in