LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 11:49 AM
scottlaroc

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=1&RunFlat=All

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 03:12 PM
ToolFan

the BFG mud terrain is by far one of my favorite tires ever. I had them in 3 different sizes and beat the piss out of them off-roading and never had a problem. You can never go wrong with a BFG in my opinion. I had sizes
31x10.5r15
33x12.5r15
35x12.5r15

Worth every penny!
post #18 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 03:56 PM
arbby
2005 KJ Liberty 

you should be worried about the bulge in the tire. It is a broken sidewall belt and will then 'pop'. The other one 'should' be cover under warranty. How low did you air down too?

|l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Gone: 1993 YJ

post #19 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
06flex

1999 TJ Wrangler 

18psi~16psi

Stu website supporter.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One of the best jeep websites out there for reference. If you can help please do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You didn't correct the problem, you only worked around the real problem.
post #20 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 04:51 PM
jay5_o
2004 TJ Wrangler 

those stock tires you have look like garbage, street only, buy some a/t , m/t tires.

Those tires are not designed to be aired down, so getting warranty for them will be almost impossible.

RE 3.5" superflex kit, 33/12.50/15 , trXus M/T
1.5" wheel spacers
front and rear Warn diff covers, engine skid.
post #21 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 05:14 PM
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

06flex, I wouldn't waste time, energy or effort trying to fight people regarding your stock tires and the warranty. As jay5_o said, the tires that came on your JK are strictly street tires.

I hate to say it, but airing them down and taking them on some off road trails is just asking for all kinds of trouble. Don't get me wrong, with the proper tire, it's good to air it down when you go off road. I usually keep my tires running from 25psi to 35psi, just depending on the use. For everyday driving, I keep them at 30psi.

On the other hand, I hope you got a chance to look at the new mud terrains that are coming out. Someone posted a very good link showing the new tread. As you can see, the tread pattern is different than the previous model mud terrains (even though these are already pretty strong and tough!)

One last thing, I wouldn't sleep on that deal that the tire shop is giving you, that's a fantastic deal!

Happy trails! Cheers!
post #22 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 06:55 PM
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Did you get the road hazard warranty with your tires? If so, then you should be able to get them replaced at no charge. This sounds like a real PIA and I would hate to be dealing with it myself. I do agree with what was previously mentioned about the tires being street only and that airing them down was just asking for trouble. Airing down does help alot with ride comfort and grip on rocky surfaces but the tire's sidewall has to be able to withstand the additional stresses.

On another note, I like those new BFG mud terrains. From the picture it l;ooks as though the lugs have a sort of a siping to them. How do you think they might perform on the street compared to the current/previous BFG mud terrain MT KM. I like the ones that came stock on my Rubi and wanted the same tire in a 37" size. But to my understanding the 37" sizes quite noisy on the road. Just curious as to how the new desing would be.

post #23 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 08:23 PM
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogg
On another note, I like those new BFG mud terrains. From the picture it looks as though the lugs have a sort of a siping to them. How do you think they might perform on the street compared to the current/previous BFG mud terrain MT KM. I like the ones that came stock on my Rubi and wanted the same tire in a 37" size. But to my understanding the 37" sizes quite noisy on the road. Just curious as to how the new desing would be.
Well this is the closest thing I could find about the new tire, it's not much, but it's proof about the new tire:

http://www.swampfox.ws/michelin-roll...t-truck-tires/

The offroad capability of the new tire is going to be much better than the current tire in strength and off road performance. Those sipes will allow it to grip the sticky stuff while the sidewall should allow us to climb over those rocks without puncturing anything.

On the road, I think we will see and experience better handling on the wet and slippery surfaces. With the tread being designed the way it is, I'm going to assume the road noise is probably comparable to some Baja Mtz's, if not better.

I know the new Rubis are coming off the factory with these new tires. Maybe someone with them can chime in here.
post #24 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
06flex

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think I am going to order these for my wifes jeep a set of 5 for around $650 isnt bad. Now that she is hooked it will be money well spent. I just wish a set of 33x10.50 or 33x12.50 were that cheap.

Stu website supporter.

One of the best jeep websites out there for reference. If you can help please do.

Quote:
post #25 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 09:34 PM
lrjeep

I'm really happy with my maxxis bighorns. 450 for a set mounted and balanced. The maxxis mudders are real popular around here to. Both of them are great tires that are at a very reasonable price.

http://www.maxxis.com/products/autom...il.asp?id=5477

http://www.maxxis.com/products/autom...il.asp?id=5476
post #26 of 41 Old 08-18-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
06flex

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrjeep
I'm really happy with my maxxis bighorns. 450 for a set mounted and balanced. The maxxis mudders are real popular around here to. Both of them are great tires that are at a very reasonable price.

http://www.maxxis.com/products/autom...il.asp?id=5477

http://www.maxxis.com/products/autom...il.asp?id=5476
how do they hold up aired down.

Stu website supporter.

Quote:
post #27 of 41 Old 08-19-2007, 03:16 AM
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

The maxxis bighorn radials are very good tires. You can air them down to 5psi and they climb without problems. When you air them back up, they perform well in gravel, snow, dirt and rough terrain. They do fine in the mud, but they aren't the best as they just weren't created for this purpose.

And if you plan on frequently traveling with high speeds, the tire will wear faster than other tires. Avg price stores sell each tire is somewhere between $155-$175 per tire, although it really depends on the size you want.
post #28 of 41 Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM
lrjeep

I know this is pretty much decided but I just wanted to clear one thing up. My tires (32") were 105 a piece from a local dealer (that includes mounting and balancing). I saw nowhere that was charging over 140 for even the largest size at least around here.
post #29 of 41 Old 08-19-2007, 08:38 PM
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Found a pick of the new BFG:

Definitely not as cheap as what others tires that you could get, but very cool.

http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catal...errain_t_a_km2

I might have to look into these myself.

post #30 of 41 Old 08-19-2007, 09:15 PM
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

Scrogg, you win the award for the great find of the night!

I'd expect when the supply increases, the price of these will come down in about 2 years or so. Since the demand for these new tires is VERY high and the supply is very low, expect to pay a bunch if you can secure them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in