2Likes
  • 1 Post By marshdrummer
  • 1 Post By JoonHoss

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2021, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
NCJEEPFAN
2006 WK 

Need Help Deciding On Lift Height

Hey Guys, as the title says......I need help/real world experiences. We have a 2015 JKU Sahara. Just installed 33" tires, running factory Sahara wheels.

I want to do a lift but not sure what height. Looking at the small lift now, not doing any hardcore trails, mainly beach and possibly light trails. After doing a lot searching and reading, I'm almost confused at this point.

I'd love to do the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit, which is supposed to be 2" front and 1" rear (includes longer front sway bar links). It seems perfect for what we need. Or possibly one of the other kits that is supposed to be 1.75".

My question boils down to, at what height do others things need to changed out, IE; sway bar links, track bars....etc?

06 WK Laredo
3.7, 4wd......lift and tires coming soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2021, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
NCJEEPFAN
2006 WK 

Crickets.....Thanks guys.

06 WK Laredo
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2021, 05:35 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

First off, you didn't even give your post 12 hours. Many of the folks who would help only read/post during daytime hours. Whining that nobody replied in the middle of the night is not going to gain many helpful replies. This isn't a live chat room.

Second, this topic has been covered so many hundreds of times that most of us are tired of answering the same questions over and over. The answers to your questions are here if you bother to take the time to read some of the endless lift threads in this forum.

But it boils down to this:
0-1.5" does not need much beyond springs/shocks. Track bars, sway links, etc. are helpful but not needed.
1.5-3.0" should get more like track bars, control arms, sway links, etc.
over 3" starts needing a lot more, like longer drive shafts, upgraded steering, etc.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2021, 10:31 AM
marshdrummer

I did a 2.5" Rubicon lift with Falcon shocks. All bolt on, no sway or track bars or ball joints. Running 35"x20" Nitto Mud Terrains. I've done some pretty rough trails with no issues. No issues on the road or Highway (minus the tires pulling from grooves in the road). No rubbing at all (but the correct back spacing on the rims). I will tell you this - you don't want 20" rims or mud terrains for the street. Very harsh ride even with the tire pressure on the low side (about 35psi) and I was scared to ding them on the rock trails. I haven't run any other tire so I can't speak to that, but I will go with all terrains rather than mud terrains next time around.
NCJEEPFAN likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2021, 01:35 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
I did a 2.5" Rubicon lift with Falcon shocks. All bolt on, no sway or track bars or ball joints. Running 35"x20" Nitto Mud Terrains. I've done some pretty rough trails with no issues. No issues on the road or Highway (minus the tires pulling from grooves in the road). No rubbing at all (but the correct back spacing on the rims). I will tell you this - you don't want 20" rims or mud terrains for the street. Very harsh ride even with the tire pressure on the low side (about 35psi) and I was scared to ding them on the rock trails. I haven't run any other tire so I can't speak to that, but I will go with all terrains rather than mud terrains next time around.
No reason you would ever need ball joints or a sway bar for any amount of lift. At 2.5", you really should do something about the track bar if the kit didn't come with at least a relocation bracket.

And with 35s, 35psi is not relatively low. That's too high. A tire that size, depending on the rating, should be around 28psi. Just because it says it can hold 50 or 55 lbs doesn't mean that's normally what it should be run at.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 9 Old 06-25-2021, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
NCJEEPFAN
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
First off, you didn't even give your post 12 hours. Many of the folks who would help only read/post during daytime hours. Whining that nobody replied in the middle of the night is not going to gain many helpful replies. This isn't a live chat room.
First, I wasn't whining, when I replied myself, 80 people already viewed it.

Second, I didn't ask the "how big of a tire can fit stock" or "will 37's fit stock"...I was asking a direct question, because I have done a ton of research. Some report, their Jeep was all over the road after even a small lift, some say no issues. So I wanted to some real world experiences.

I've had (1) TJ, (1) ZJ and (1) WK, all with a just 2" spacers and new shocks, no other suspension parts and they all rode and drove great. I'm seeing very mixed info on running this same setup on a JKU.

Third, your actual answers helped and that's exactly what I was asking for. Thank You.

06 WK Laredo
post #7 of 9 Old 06-25-2021, 07:40 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Did you read the sticky?

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/...reads-1074059/

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-26-2021, 03:09 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

The coils spacers you are already familiar with will work just fine for you and what you are wanting to do, you can easily put the 2" upfront, a 1" out back, and be just fine.

You can run the stock shocks upfront with a simple extender, or change them out if you want something different.

You will have zero driving issues set up like that.

If you want to change suspension and do a full lift, but if you are littlerly looking to get a little lift and level it out, there is no need to do any more than that.

I'm familiar with your quandary on how much the lift will give your specific vehicle over stock height, with spacers, its just the spacer, and that's it.

What size tires did you go with? A true 33"? Or P-metric version?

Hoss
NCJEEPFAN likes this.

I used to be a people person, until people ruined it...
post #9 of 9 Old 06-27-2021, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
NCJEEPFAN
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
What size tires did you go with? A true 33"? Or P-metric version?

Hoss
Thanks for the reply. I am probably going to end up using the Teraflex "leveling' kit. Its supposed to be 2" in the front and 1" in the back. It seems to fit our needs for now. It looks like an easy install and is reasonably priced. Will probably do a full, real lift kit after the Jeep is paid off.

I ended getting a 275/70r18. Looks great, needs a lift for sure now, and they didn't seem to hurt the power too much.

Thanks for the help everyone!

06 WK Laredo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in