Need help with buying a Jeep - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-03-2020, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
gdgraph

Need help with buying a Jeep

Hi all, new to Jeeps and am shopping around and need some advice. I'm looking at two options, (1) taking advantage of a new Rubicon with all the sales out during COVID, or (2) buying an older used jeep that someone's already done some mild mods to to save some money. Since jeeps hold their value so well, it doesn't make much sense to me to buy a 2-3 year old Jeep because you don't save much money (at least now that COVID has deals with $5-6k off MSRP). From what I've seen, the price doesn't really drop significant until you look at something about 5 years old with over 70k miles on it.

If I go with a used jeep (5-10 years old with 70-120k miles), what should I be worried about? I guess what I'm trying to ask is at what mileage is there a lot of maintenance to take into consideration into what I'm going to be spending? Is there a break over point (like 100k miles) where I'll need to do a bunch of maintenance/repairs with a Wrangler, and how much would these things end up costing? What's the sweet spot in mileage that I should target? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-03-2020, 08:35 AM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

If u can buy a jeep out right do it.

With in 5 years will land u in the jeep jk 3.6 engine, good engine good power good all around comfort

10 years will land u in the 3.8 engine, good engine underpowered for the wrangler tends to burn oil, easy/cheaper to maintain or replace.

Rugged interior look not too bad.

If u go with a 2011 and under 3.8 make sure to get the Rubicon with the 4.10 gearing

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 08-03-2020, 09:45 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Personally, I would look at 12+ for a JK. Those have the 3.6L (better IMHO than the 3.8L) and in the auto versions, the NAG1 which is a far better transmission than the 42RLE

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 6 Old 08-05-2020, 08:01 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Agree with Moezer, If you can get a new JLR, I would by all means. All new with warranty and updated features. I have a 2012 JKUR and I love it and enjoy it, but I do get JL envy sometimes.

Will the older model with the "upgrades" be the same upgrades that you would have done? Will they be done right? Will they increase or decrease the value?

As far as older ones....yes 2011 up got interior changes with 2012 up got the 3.6. But 12 had head issues and recalls. Most will be over 100K by now. Cost vs cost of monthly payments vs repair bills and maybe an unreliable Jeep, Id spend the money and not worry unless you get a great deal. I was lucky enough to get mine from a friend at a great price with lower mileage components such as an engine replaced under warranty etc. Fingers crossed mine drives great and no issues so far....some are not that lucky.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
2012 JKUR RHD
post #5 of 6 Old 08-06-2020, 03:44 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I had a 2007 JKU. It was by far the worst POS vehicle I ever owned. It was the first brand new vehicle I ever bought, I made a deal to trade it in on my 2014 JKU in November 2013 (also brand new). It has been the opposite. It’s been one of the best if not the best vehicle I ever owned. Sure, there a few things that went wrong but mostly minor. There was one major thing and it was out of warranty but the dealer took care of it. It was the oil filter adapter housing cracked.

I find most people that are trying to sell their Jeeps are on crack. Twenty thousand for an early 90’s YJ that is not super pristine or upgraded is insane. That kind of stupid pricing is common and is what drove me to get the 2014 JKU despite wanting something older and simpler than the terrible 2007 I had. I used to have a 95 YJ and it was a lot simpler but harder to live with as an only vehicle.

The JL’s are still experiencing growing pains, mostly involving steering. Some early models of the JL reported cracked welds on the frame and other ridiculous things.

If something happened to my JKU such as a total loss accident, I honestly would not know what I would replace it with.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-06-2020, 06:57 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
Agree with Moezer, If you can get a new JLR, I would by all means. All new with warranty and updated features. I have a 2012 JKUR and I love it and enjoy it, but I do get JL envy sometimes.

Will the older model with the "upgrades" be the same upgrades that you would have done? Will they be done right? Will they increase or decrease the value?

As far as older ones....yes 2011 up got interior changes with 2012 up got the 3.6. But 12 had head issues and recalls. Most will be over 100K by now. Cost vs cost of monthly payments vs repair bills and maybe an unreliable Jeep, Id spend the money and not worry unless you get a great deal. I was lucky enough to get mine from a friend at a great price with lower mileage components such as an engine replaced under warranty etc. Fingers crossed mine drives great and no issues so far....some are not that lucky.
Other than the head, which was replaced at 25K (and is still under the 10 year/150K warranty extension) my 3.6L has been a great engine. I'm now at 105K and I have really wheeled it hard since about 60K (before that it was momma's daily driver).

In fact, it has been so reliable and trouble free, I bought the Trailhawk with the 3.6L instead of the hemi. That's my experience. I know others have had a horror show but you can find those examples with just about any modern engine.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in