Need a good replacement steering box - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-11-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Need a good replacement steering box

My sons steering box broke this morning on the way to work. First day on the new job also!

Anyway he’s looking for something he can throw on there for a few months before he’s gone for a year or so. He doesn’t have much money at the moment.

It’s a 2008 2dr. on 37” tires. Does this happen a lot with oversized tires or just a freak failure?

Any suggestions?

Don’t want this to happen again. I figure he was lucky today.

Attached Thumbnails
99C090FD-3168-4222-894F-CAEF71F9C2A8_1552304225323.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 AM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I dont know where shalersville OH is, but Im in NKY. I have a stock JK box sitting in my parts bin I'd sell. I went PSC big bore a year and a half ago. Mine was working fine prior to swap. I just wanted hydro for wheeling. It had 90K miles, has pitman arm attached, and I even have a stock draglink. You might be able to find one closer to home.

As far as does this happen a lot? Yes it does. If you are running big tires, you want hydro assist. Can tap stock box, buy one ready for it, or get the full aftermarket from PSC. The flaw in the JK box is the length of the sector shaft. With big tires, it either breaks exactly like what yours is, or the long sector shaft flexes in the housing and it'll start leaking and youll burn up a gear or pump. More commonly its the break.

The PSC big bore makes the shaft larger. 35mm stock. 45mm in the PSC. You dont NEED the bigger sector if you add hydro. Redneck ram is the cheapest way to do that. Can send yours in if its not broken and they send you one. PSC BB 900 bucks... 1300 ready for hydro. New JK boxes are 550 from Crown 700 from PSC 720 from Mopar. reman at autozone is 230 plus 65 for a pitman arm... Long term solution? Probably not, but you said short term. AZ says limited lifetime warranty... With a steering gear, I wouldnt want to do that job again personally even if the parts are covered.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #3 of 4 Old 03-12-2019, 06:38 AM
rcoe
2012 JK Wrangler 

With 37's I would either go with the PSC HD unit or at the very minimum get a sector shaft brace kit. Synergy makes a nice kit that also beefs up the front track bar mount.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 AM
waterdowg

1984 CJ7 

John,
Check out www.car-parts.com It will give you an inventory of your local salvage yards. I looked in your area and they ranged from $125-$200 depending on mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in