My little hard top lift write-up (pics) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 06-13-2009, 04:51 PM
RRCP08JK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJohn View Post
As an engineer, I can appreciate the "technical" drawings! Good job. Once concern though, the tie around the back lift window, don't you think this is stressing the window a bit?? If you can rig the straps with hooks or completely wrap the top with the straps and tie it so it can't slip out then you can suspend the top until you want to reinstall it.

Just a thought. But yours is a good idea!
CAD* aint so hard to use after all!

*Crayon Assisted Design

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 06-13-2009, 05:02 PM
NPHLYT

So does the dog then have to use the treadmill?
post #18 of 26 Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 PM
robsbluerub
2007 JK Wrangler 

Oregon wins the prize for inexpensive. I had a similar approach. To answer the engineer's concern I used ratchet straps with hooks and the back glass hinges only took the side load to prevent the hooks from sliding.

Nice pics oregonvette.

post #19 of 26 Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Dines
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Brilliant!
post #20 of 26 Old 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPHLYT View Post
So does the dog then have to use the treadmill?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2011-2016)
post #21 of 26 Old 07-22-2010, 02:14 PM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice project. I like the way you saved so much money. No need to net pick it, as you know already thereís always room for improvement (3/4" eye bolts), the hard part is coming up with a workable whatever in the beginning. Great job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2011-2016)
post #22 of 26 Old 07-14-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

update

Okay, I haven't been on the board much lately & I just realized I had two PM's asking for the pictures in the thread from last March.
So, here's the update. (obviously the actual components & bolts used will be different per your own application & situation) But, as a general overview:

Original thread... My hardtop lift is very inexpensive & extremely easy to do. Cost was less than $15.00, completely portable, stores in a ziplock bag, take it camping, use under a tree/pole/swingset etc.

note: the top isn't "stored" in this elevated position. It is only in the air & elevated for a maximum of 3 minutes. This is a simple way for a "one person job" to remove & re-install their Hard Top safely, quickly & very affordably. Once it's removed, I drive the Jeep out from the garage & cart the top away to the back of the house in the dog run

I first loosen & remove the hard top bolts and back the jeep up into the garage bay.

1. I screwed this into the heavy roof joist in the garage sideways/horizontal with wall washer for added safety (you can obviously substitute a heavier 1/2" eyebolt or U-bolts etc etc. for addl safety):

The one in this pic is weight rated at 250 lbs:

2. Then, I simply hook a $9.99 rope hoist (harbor freight) up to it:

3. Then, I wrap these two mototrcycle tie-downs ($3.50) around the hard top and then attach them to the rope hoist.

4. I lift & separate!

5. Tie the "tag-end" of the rope onto a hard fix point on the garage wall. Drive jeep out of the garage. Put down a plank of plywood on top of a Radio Flyer wagon.

6. For One Person Transportation - Put wagon directly under the elevated hard top. Lower roof onto the wagon. weeeee! Roll the wagon into the dog run near the back of the house. Wait for October, reverse steps. One person job!

Store in a Ziplock baggie & toss in my Jeep recovery gear bag (used when camping off a tree) or wherever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
post #23 of 26 Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 PM
DangFoo

2013 JK Wrangler 

Nice write-up and pictures.

I'd do something like this, but my kids like to play in the garage every once in a while and I'm too "paranoid" that one errant kicked ball and the whole thing comes down [anchored strong or not - s*** happens] on them or the other vehicle.

I opted for the cart and putting the top on the side of the house; wedged to where it can't tip-over unless King Kong leans on it. I still think your hoist is an excellent route for some people and a heck of a lot cheaper than the ready-made options.
post #24 of 26 Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

subscribed
post #25 of 26 Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

OregonVette,

I love your illustrations!
Such drawings can be more informative, and certainly more fun to look at, than photographs.
post #26 of 26 Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 PM
CCGRUNT0331

2008 JK Wrangler 

Great creativity, awesome budget, as for me, my jeep came with a winch and so I'm leaning towards a pulley system where the jeep winch will pull the hardtop off and up to the rafters using my Yakima crossbars, I'll keep y'all updated,
Cheers!

2000 TJ Sport: SOLD!
2008 JKU Rubicon: aka 'Bruiser'

Tags
d.i.y , hard top hoist , JK Wrangler , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in