Is my '12 JK overheating? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-04-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
kafin8ed
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is my '12 JK overheating?

This has happened to me twice now, the first time I was hoping it was an anomaly but now I'm hoping it isn't getting worse. Both times I had been doing hard driving for several hours in remote parts of the desert, was in 4x4, and in a low gear going very slow. The ping alarm goes off and light above the temp gauge lights up but the gauge needle is JUST barely right of center. I turn off the jeep then some electrical weirdness happens because I take the keys out of ignition but when I open my door the key-in-ignition alarm goes off (so electrically something weird is going on). Then if I go to restart the vehicle it will not even try to turn over. Both times I pulled the ground connector on the battery for 30 seconds reconnected it and it started right up like nothing happened without the overheat warning.

My jeep has 79K miles so it's out of warranty, there's no way for me to recreate this situation for a mechanic. Just by looking at the gauge it didn't look like it was overheating - the red part of the gauge appears to start about the 3/4 way and both of these incidents the needle was just right of center but who knows how that thing is calibrated it has no units on it?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Should I be concerned?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Disconnect the battery. It's the stupid security thing kicking on. It happens to many of us. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes usually ceases the issue.

2013 JKU
1995 YJ
post #3 of 8 Old 05-06-2016, 12:04 PM
white_2003
1972 CJ5 

Is your Jeep an automatic or manual transmission?

'12 JK, 3.6/NSG370/NV241/D30/D44, 2" Lift, 32" KM2's, 4.10's
'01 WJ, 4.7/45RFE/NV247/D30/D44A, 2" Lift, 32" KM2's, 3.73's
'72 CJ5, AMC 304/T-15/D20/D30/D44 2" Lift, 31" KM2's, 4.11's
'48 CJ2a currently under construction. (Wedding present)

post #4 of 8 Old 05-07-2016, 07:08 AM
Brazos609
2012 JK Wrangler 

Both times I had been doing hard driving for several hours in remote parts of the desert, was in 4x4, and in a low gear going very slow.

That is a recipe for overheating so I wouldn't take any chances, proceed as if you have a cooling system issue. The model is known to have cooling system clogging issues. Check for sediment and clogging and verify the fan is working properly.

2012 4dr RUBICON UNLIMITED
2012 2dr SPORT
2005 2dr UNLIMITED gone
1997 2dr gone
post #5 of 8 Old 05-07-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
kafin8ed
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_2003 View Post
Is your Jeep an automatic or manual transmission?
It is a 6-speed manual

I've also had one instance where the Jeep was at work and it wouldn't turn over, then I took it to the dealer and it was the security thing, that's how I learned to pull the battery cable for 30 seconds to restart...

I guess one thing I'd like to know is how reliable are the thermometer gauges on the dash? Mine always comes up to dead center and only rarely goes slightly to the right. If my Jeep actually does overheat is it obvious on the gauge or does the gauge barely move even if there is a big temp change?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-07-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
kafin8ed
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos609 View Post
Both times I had been doing hard driving for several hours in remote parts of the desert, was in 4x4, and in a low gear going very slow.

That is a recipe for overheating so I wouldn't take any chances, proceed as if you have a cooling system issue. The model is known to have cooling system clogging issues. Check for sediment and clogging and verify the fan is working properly.
Yeah I know it's a worst case scenario. At least I wasn't towing. How, where would I check for sediment/clogging? Should I just get the coolant flushed? How about the fan?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafin8ed View Post
If my Jeep actually does overheat is it obvious on the gauge or does the gauge barely move even if there is a big temp change?
I had the coolant issues. Yes, the gauge moves pretty accurately. The electric fan will run full blast when the temp goes up. Sounds like an airplane in taxi when it cranks up to full blast. My needle moved.

After coolant flushed, needle where it belongs.

Quote:
Yeah I know it's a worst case scenario. At least I wasn't towing. How, where would I check for sediment/clogging? Should I just get the coolant flushed? How about the fan?
Wouldn't worry about the fan.

The coolant in my 13' was my issue. Before the fan ran full blast at all times, the heat on the drivers side stopped working. The sludge will clog up the heater core and therefore not allow the air going to the drivers side of the cabin to warm up.

People get sludge in the reservoir tank. You can see it there. Has the consistency of peanut butter.

Nobody has a 100% certain reason for it. IMO it's the Mopar OAT coolant breaking down. Regardless, I get my system flushed every fall now to hopefully keep the sludge from getting too bad and requiring a replacement core.

2013 JKU
1995 YJ
post #8 of 8 Old 05-10-2016, 01:53 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I guess one thing I'd like to know is how reliable are the thermometer gauges on the dash?
Only as reliable as the computer's determination of "normal". In other words driving flat land across the dessert - 210 degrees is normal. Driving lead footed up a grade 240 is normal.
Both would have the needle in same general display area.

The ding and light tells you its above what the computer expects. The driver's response to that in that particular situation (since you KNOW 4lo and crawling makes heat) SHOULD be an idle down, that is let it cool down a bit at an idle (surge cooling helps sometimes as well - idle to 1800 and back 4-6 times a minute). If its 5 degrees away from "limp mode" and you shut it off - that could create problems on restart... If the needle is 3/4 of the way (which mine did towing a broke TJ up Cadillac hill) - that's when you really need to consider shut down.

(remember the cooling system stores heat from the block and removes it in the rad - on shutdown the actual coolant temp will rise as it equalizes, so a shut down at 230 would swelter to 245ish and when you try to restart - it limp modes). On the stock cars and mods - you can hear the guys surge cooling just before shutdown after coming off the track - or during pit stops to remove the heat NOT removed by cruising so "slow" down pit road, that wappa wappa wappa is NOT just to sound cool - its to GET cool!).

There are obd port monitors with iPhone apps that can display actual temps... even a low budget scanner should show actual CT in live data mode. I carry an Innova 3140 with the JK at all times. Spoilt ***** gets her own scanner!

In any case - when you have a history of heat issues - the guys above have given great advice!

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
electrical , jk , overheating , temperature gauge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in