Mods and upgrades for 2.8L CRD Diesel engine JK owners - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-23-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
RaduRobescu

Garage
Mods and upgrades for 2.8L CRD Diesel engine JK owners

Hi everyone

Thinking about upgrading my new JK 2 door Rubicon. I am running the 2.8l diesel engine with automatic gearbox and I was recently reading about exhaust upgrade and cold air intake. In terms of performance, has everyone experienced better power ? Or is the exhaust upgrading just for the sake of the sound

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Not a lot of diesel JKs around here. They don't sell them on this continent.
But, in general, modern engines gain very little from CAI and exhaust systems. The factory ones are designed to handle all the air our engines suck in and pump out. It's not until you start modifying the engines internals (cam, displacement, etc.) that CAI and exhaust make a real difference.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 9 Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
RaduRobescu

Garage
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the diesel engine was my only option in my country so I went for it and I do not regret it, but there are a lot of exhaust modifications on the web that make the engine sound absolutely gorgeous so I was looking for more details in terms of power

post #4 of 9 Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 AM
jrallen

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin
Not a lot of diesel JKs around here. They don't sell them on this continent. But, in general, modern engines gain very little from CAI and exhaust systems. The factory ones are designed to handle all the air our engines suck in and pump out. It's not until you start modifying the engines internals (cam, displacement, etc.) that CAI and exhaust make a real difference.
I've found that to be VERY far from the truth with diesel motors, especially ones with turbos. You can physically force more air into the motor with a larger intake and you will build more power. It won't make much of a difference on a naturally aspirated gas motor, but that isn't what the OP has.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-23-2017, 01:14 PM
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
I've found that to be VERY far from the truth with diesel motors, especially ones with turbos. You can physically force more air into the motor with a larger intake and you will build more power. It won't make much of a difference on a naturally aspirated gas motor, but that isn't what the OP has.
especially ones with turbos?

Guess you don't work on turbo diesel motors.

A turbo has a wastegate- it is there to limit the maximum boost air pressure (or force as you called it) going into the engine. NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING you do pre turbo will change the maximum boost (only an aftermarket "tune" for computer ctrled waste-gates engines or adjustable waste-gate on non, will change that boost ).
Believe me when I say that the OEM airbox flows plenty for all stock applications.
The last thing one would want in a diesel of any type is to limit the intake side- it has tremendous "sucking" force and would quickly destroy the restriction- unlike a gasoline motor where one controls the air for rpm/power, on a diesel it is the fuel (diesel) that is controlled. Pre-emisions and in its base form a diesel engine runs open intake (no throttle plate). There is no outside control of intake air.

Now we can go further adding to this is that some turbos are now variable vane and also controlled by the software like the 2.8 crd (basically like running many different size turbos in one- to limit LAG). In essence , a tune can now also control how early boost builds up, whereas in the past it was pretty fixed.

Save your CAI and invest in a "tune"
but before you do so- trust me when i say that it is the first thing that warranty has us check for (or evidence left that there has been a "tune" run) on powertrain failures.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-23-2017, 05:18 PM
GreenbayTJ06
2014 JK Wrangler 

The cai and exhaust will give it an awesome sound though.

Jeep is life
post #7 of 9 Old 06-23-2017, 07:33 PM
mrcarcrazy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaduRobescu View Post
Hi everyone

Thinking about upgrading my new JK 2 door Rubicon. I am running the 2.8l diesel engine with automatic gearbox and I was recently reading about exhaust upgrade and cold air intake. In terms of performance, has everyone experienced better power ? Or is the exhaust upgrading just for the sake of the sound

Thank you

Just so you know, we are all extremely jealous of you. Diesel Jk Is but a dream for the majority of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Jeep:
99 Sahara.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-24-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
RaduRobescu

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenbayTJ06 View Post
The cai and exhaust will give it an awesome sound though.
Do diesel engine require diferent type of exhaust then gas ones? There are a lot of good exhaust out there for the bigger petrol engines, but there is no info regarding the diesel compatibility.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-24-2017, 11:35 PM
GreenbayTJ06
2014 JK Wrangler 

I don't think there is a difference

Jeep is life

Tags
2016 , crd , diesel , exhaust , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in