Luke warm heat, new radiator & heater core, what gives?! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwmbishop

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-25-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
tarralyn

Luke warm heat, new radiator & heater core, what gives?!

I feel like I've lived on this forum the past month, but finally am posting to try and get answers. I'm going to start from the beginning...
2010 Unlimited Sahara w/ 110k miles. I noticed this past summer my passengers side floor board was always wet, which it continued being wet until replacing my heater core 2 weeks ago. I do have weathertech floormats so even if coolant wasn't leaking anymore the moisture was maybe trapped under the rubber floormats? I honestly didn't think much of it, thought maybe the drain plug was open and water was getting in from underneath. It wasn't until early January I put two and two together that it might be the heater core, when heat stopped blowing out of the vents unless I was moving and a gushing water noise came from behind the dashboard when starting it. (I live in Michigan, made it through a month of sub zero temps until the heat started acting up). As I was driving it the 5 miles to the shop for a new heater core, a very light white smoke/steam came from under the hood when I parked.
The day after I picked it up from the shop I realized hot air was still only blowing when I was moving, ice cold at idle. And then I heard the gushing water noise again. Took it to the dealership this time, they said I needed a new radiator, failed pressure test. Took it one more place just to be sure and that shop said the same thing, so I got the radiator replaced.
Today is my first day driving it with the new radiator, no more gushing water noise, but now my heat is only blowing at luke warm temps no matter if I'm idle or I'm moving.
Anybody have any ideas? I'm starting to lose my mind over this!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 05:41 AM
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarralyn View Post
I feel like I've lived on this forum the past month, but finally am posting to try and get answers. I'm going to start from the beginning...
2010 Unlimited Sahara w/ 110k miles. I noticed this past summer my passengers side floor board was always wet, which it continued being wet until replacing my heater core 2 weeks ago. I do have weathertech floormats so even if coolant wasn't leaking anymore the moisture was maybe trapped under the rubber floormats? I honestly didn't think much of it, thought maybe the drain plug was open and water was getting in from underneath. It wasn't until early January I put two and two together that it might be the heater core, when heat stopped blowing out of the vents unless I was moving and a gushing water noise came from behind the dashboard when starting it. (I live in Michigan, made it through a month of sub zero temps until the heat started acting up). As I was driving it the 5 miles to the shop for a new heater core, a very light white smoke/steam came from under the hood when I parked.
The day after I picked it up from the shop I realized hot air was still only blowing when I was moving, ice cold at idle. And then I heard the gushing water noise again. Took it to the dealership this time, they said I needed a new radiator, failed pressure test. Took it one more place just to be sure and that shop said the same thing, so I got the radiator replaced.
Today is my first day driving it with the new radiator, no more gushing water noise, but now my heat is only blowing at luke warm temps no matter if I'm idle or I'm moving.
Anybody have any ideas? I'm starting to lose my mind over this!
Is the heat blowing hotter on the passenger side?

Mike
post #3 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
tarralyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
Is the heat blowing hotter on the passenger side?

Mike
No it's not, it's equally luke warm across the board.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a similar issue with my 2013. The heat blows hotter on the passenger side floor and dash vents then it does on the driver's side. I am being told my problem is cause by a "blend door" valve which is behind the dashboard and apparently a b^tch to get at. Not sure if your problem could also be caused by this valve or if your 2010 even has one.

Mike
post #5 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 11:24 AM
AftonJeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Once your vehicle is up to operating temp check to see if the temp of the two hoses that go to and from the heater core are close to the same temp. Carefull, they both should be hot. If one of them is cooler your heater core is still blocked and you may have to flush it to remove the blockage. It's easy to do with a garden hose or they sell kits you can splice in. If they are of similar temp odds are the blend door isn't functioning as it should.

The other option is to take it back to the guy who did the radiator and ask him why you have no heat from the vents.

97 TJ, 4.0 Auto and 3.07's
17 JKUR, 3.6 Auto with 4.10's
post #6 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 11:38 AM
ToddPaul

1972 CJ5 

Garage
It may sound silly but did they for some reason disturb the vacuum line for the heater control valve ? Check it for cracks. Be sure it is pulling the valve all the way open.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 12:51 PM
AKjeff
1974 CJ5 

Is the jeep getting up to temp? It may need a thermostat.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 04:47 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddPaul View Post
It may sound silly but did they for some reason disturb the vacuum line for the heater control valve ? Check it for cracks. Be sure it is pulling the valve all the way open.
Vacuum line to heater control valve? The core on a JK is constant hot - a door blends hot air from it with cold air from the condenser in balance with selected temp set in control head - what does the valve DO? As coolant must always flow through the core (no thermostat bypass).

I thought it was all electric and controlled by the Climate module via canbus... typically when the blend door fails to move (so heat is not diverted into the mix) its either the motor or the control head.
ToddPaul likes this.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2017, 12:07 AM
ToddPaul

1972 CJ5 

Garage
My misunderstanding, I apologize for any misleading information, yes it is controlled the way you have described .

Tags
blend door , heat , heater core , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in