Lots of jolting in the front end when turning in 4wd? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 01-21-2015, 01:31 AM
zjilla

2007 JK Wrangler 

The abs plug is a PITA to get your hands to bc it is behind the shock tower and the fender liners. I couldnt emagine trying to plug it back in when my jeep os covered in dirt and mud...muchless not breaking the plug or wearing out the seal on it with constant plugging/unplugging

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

2007 Unlimited Sahara
98 ZJ Limited RHD (British spec)
USAF Military Working Dog Handler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Shouldn't be too hard to wire a switch into there to "disconnect" one of the ABS connectors.

Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
post #18 of 23 Old 01-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

When you're in 2wd and are not going perfectly straight, the front and rear wheels turn at different rates. For example, when you're making a left turn the outside tires (passenger side) turn faster the the inside tires (driver side) due to the radius difference the tires are tracing. This differing rate allowance is due to the differential, provided it's open (not locked). When you engage 4wd, your transfer case (no differential action) literally LOCKS the front and rear outputs (what the drive shafts are connected to) together so that they're turning at the same rate no matter what. So you'll always have one tire on the rear axle and one tire on the front axle turning at the same rate. This is fine if you're going straight (no requirement for differing wheels rates) or are on a slick surface that allows slippage. If you're turning on a surface with enough grip to not allow sufficient slippage then you'll feel the binding caused by equal wheel rates. We can now deduce that the surface you were on was slick enough to allow slippage, considering you didn't break anything. But it didn't allow enough slippage to completely reduce binding....that's what you felt. Things would be worse if there was no snow in that parking lot.

To take it one more step--if you've got a Rubicon and lock both axles (the differential locks both axle shafts together so that they're turning at the same rate no matter what, just like the transfer case does when you engage 4wd) while also locking the transfer case into 4wd then all 4 tires will be turning at all times at the same rate. This allows maximum traction but allows no differential in wheel speeds. You need to be on a loose surface in this instance since the binding forces within the drivetrain can be great due to the amount of traction available.

OlllllllO

IndyORV

post #19 of 23 Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 AM
zjilla

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Shouldn't be too hard to wire a switch into there to "disconnect" one of the ABS connectors.
That would be better than unplugging them constantly. After changing 3 different sets of abs sensors on these jeeps....i hardly think the effort of unplugging it everytime would be worth the gain

2007 Unlimited Sahara

post #20 of 23 Old 01-21-2015, 05:53 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
When you're in 2wd and are not going perfectly straight, the front and rear wheels turn at different rates. For example, when you're making a left turn the outside tires (passenger side) turn faster the the inside tires (driver side) due to the radius difference the tires are tracing. This differing rate allowance is due to the differential, provided it's open (not locked). When you engage 4wd, your transfer case (no differential action) literally LOCKS the front and rear outputs (what the drive shafts are connected to) together so that they're turning at the same rate no matter what. So you'll always have one tire on the rear axle and one tire on the front axle turning at the same rate. This is fine if you're going straight (no requirement for differing wheels rates) or are on a slick surface that allows slippage. If you're turning on a surface with enough grip to not allow sufficient slippage then you'll feel the binding caused by equal wheel rates. We can now deduce that the surface you were on was slick enough to allow slippage, considering you didn't break anything. But it didn't allow enough slippage to completely reduce binding....that's what you felt. Things would be worse if there was no snow in that parking lot.

To take it one more step--if you've got a Rubicon and lock both axles (the differential locks both axle shafts together so that they're turning at the same rate no matter what, just like the transfer case does when you engage 4wd) while also locking the transfer case into 4wd then all 4 tires will be turning at all times at the same rate. This allows maximum traction but allows no differential in wheel speeds. You need to be on a loose surface in this instance since the binding forces within the drivetrain can be great due to the amount of traction available.
Hey. No fair. You used more words than me in my very comparable post above.

I am the holder of longest winded over worded response title - not you. Stay out of my light!

(well explained man)

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
post #21 of 23 Old 01-21-2015, 05:56 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
That would be better than unplugging them constantly. After changing 3 different sets of abs sensors on these jeeps....i hardly think the effort of unplugging it everytime would be worth the gain

maybe. How much will a switch change the impedence on a single sensor leaving the other three un-impeded? Just having the switch (and the resistance the contacts create) there could fool it into believing that one wheel is spinning faster or slower than the other three?

Asking - not saying...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
post #22 of 23 Old 01-22-2015, 04:50 AM
zjilla

2007 JK Wrangler 

hahaha this got complicated and your not speaking my "nuts and bolts" language anymore. I suck with wiring

2007 Unlimited Sahara

post #23 of 23 Old 01-22-2015, 09:02 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I'm good with wiring, its the canbus and its programming and engineering that runs over my head.
If a wrong tail light bulb can screw up the system, a switch (and its resistance) in a sensor wire probably would as well is what occurred to me!

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE

Tags
esp , esp off , noise , shaking , turning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in