Lots of jolting in the front end when turning in 4wd? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
XJMcPhee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Lots of jolting in the front end when turning in 4wd?

Hey all,

Kind of an odd way of putting it, but there's a sort of "shuttering" or "bucking" going on when I was playing with my JK earlier. To be specific, I was in 4 HI with the traction control fully disabled because I was, um, drifting in the snow . I kind of hate how 2wd drifting really isnt an option with the hardwired ESP .

So here I was, in an empty, un-plowed parking lot giving it all she's got and as soon as I start to slow down going sideways, the front end sounds like hell. Its almost sounds like metal clapping its hands followed by a jerking feeling.

Is it play in my drivetrain? The gears? Ball joints? Or could it be the steering components? I feel like it may of put some stress on the Jeep and I'm a little worried.

Also, what is it that causes a type of "jolting" effect when turning tight in 4wd? Is this not good?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 05:56 AM
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

U-Joint bind.

Good way to blow your U-joints and beat the ears off of your inner and outer axle shafts.

2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2004 Wrangler TJ on LEAFS
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
post #3 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 07:27 AM
RockyClymer
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Agree, U joint bind and no it is not so good, esp when the wheels cannot turn independently, it can tear things up.

08 JK 23S - Colorado Jeep Club No. 204
Too much to list - see my profile for details on build
16 JK Rubi with all the trimmings
NRA Life member
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.

post #4 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Its a four wheel drive - not an all wheel drive. HUGE difference and you were simply doing something VERY brutal - binding the front u-joints as stated above.

The difference is - a four wheel drive the front\rear drive bias is unchangeable - that is the torque is applied equally to front and rear drive shafts. Get into a drift and not only do the fronts try to rotate at different speed than the rear - the front tires want to spin at different speeds than each other in ANY turning event - and more more so than the rear) - the ujoints bind. If there is very little traction its not so much a problem. But snow is able to break down and your grabbing traction on the asphalt under it. Only a lack of traction allows differing rotation speeds of individual tires.

In an all wheel setup (like the old Blazer transfer cases with all hi, all lo, n, 4lo and 4hi or a Subaru) there is a differential effect at the transfer which allows the front and rear drive shafts to rotate at different speeds as well as the differential allowing the left right tires of same axle to spin at different speeds - so theroretically each wheel can spin at the rotation it needs or wants based on differentials - not traction.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Hemimonster425
2014 JK Wrangler 

Is the jeep your first 4wd?
post #6 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 11:53 AM
ncb

Could also be the transfer case making noise too if it's bucking.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Psycho-X-Jeep

2009 JK Wrangler 

A follow up question to the OPs question: What if you start to hear a similar noise even when driving straight and it happens no matter if you are in 2 or 4wd? Sort of a similar noise to when you put baseball cards in the spokes of your bicycle... Are the U-joints bad? If so, should I go ahead and upgrade the entire axle, or have a shop just replace the U-Joints? Anything else to look out for?

Call me Eddo
09 JKUR
13 WK2 Trailhawk
post #8 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Hemimonster425
2014 JK Wrangler 

I had a zj and had a clanking when driving straight it was my passager front u joint. If your hearing it and can crawl underneath check them you can tell which ones bad it will be really loose.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-18-2015, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
XJMcPhee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try to be a little more cautious. This isn't my first 4WD, I've had two XJ's and a YJ prior to buying the JK. I've always been able to have fun in 2WD without traction control taking over and pooping on my party. Guess I'll have to just deal with it.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-18-2015, 08:04 AM
duneslider

2007 JK Wrangler 

You can turn traction control off to have fun. I have no trouble spinning a few donuts in parking lots, not sure what else you are wanting though.

07 JKU Wrangler
10 XK Commander Limited
post #11 of 23 Old 01-18-2015, 08:36 AM
JTPhoto

1937 CJ2A 

Could be the front ABS kicking in too. Even though you turn the traction control off, it is not totally off. To totally turn it off you have to go into 4Lo or do the steering wheel dance procedure.

^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, D44HD/J8 w/ OX locker and RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 2635 Predator Alloys, AEV Prem Bumper, Smitty X2O 12K ETC..
post #12 of 23 Old 01-18-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
XJMcPhee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
Could be the front ABS kicking in too. Even though you turn the traction control off, it is not totally off. To totally turn it off you have to go into 4Lo or do the steering wheel dance procedure.
Tried it. Apparently it doesn't work on '13 and up JK's.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-18-2015, 08:20 PM
Hemimonster425
2014 JK Wrangler 

The newer jks have esp electronic stability control it is designed not to let you get sideways.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-19-2015, 05:56 AM
Michel347
2012 JK Wrangler 

Disconnect one ABS sensor and it will turn all the nannies off, reconnect after you had fun.

2012 JK Sport, 2dr, manual 6 speeds, 3.73.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-21-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
XJMcPhee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel347 View Post
Disconnect one ABS sensor and it will turn all the nannies off, reconnect after you had fun.
I'll give that a try

Tags
esp , esp off , noise , shaking , turning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in