Lift & Tire Questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
GOTJEEP1234

Lift & Tire Questions

I just recently placed an order for a 2016 JKU Sport. I am looking into larger tires and a lift kit. I am wanting to get at least 35 inch tires (possibly 37s) and I am curious as to what size lift I would need. I had originally seen a JKU at the dealer with 35s and a 3.5inch lift that I thought looked good however am beginning to worry about the extra modifications required to put a 3.5 inch lift on my new JKU. I obviously don't want to have issues with my brand new jeep. I am not planning to do any heavy-duty off roading. I am getting the towing package and so my gearing ratios will be 3.73 (I believe). Please let me know what you all think I should do. I am also curious as to if I should do a full suspension lift or a partial body/partial suspension lift. Pros and cons to each? Any pictures of your current set ups would be helpful too. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Don't mess with a body lift.

Get a 2.5" to 3" regular suspension lift and run 35's, which are commonly sold as 315/70-17.

On a 17" wheel, you are going to need 4.5" backspacing.

Going to 37's will require a higher lift. Higher than 3" starts getting into more parts and more expensive components such as replacement driveshafts etc.

Read the FAQ section about Will It Rub

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Z-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Don't mess with a body lift.

Get a 2.5" to 3" regular suspension lift and run 35's, which are commonly sold as 315/70-17.

On a 17" wheel, you are going to need 4.5" backspacing.

Going to 37's will require a higher lift. Higher than 3" starts getting into more parts and more expensive components such as replacement driveshafts etc.

Read the FAQ section about Will It Rub
Well that just about covers it.

/end thread

2016 JKU
Cloaked! / 35" BFGs
Crawler Conceptz /AEV ProCal /VKS sliders
- GC 5.7

post #4 of 5 Old 10-29-2015, 08:25 AM
jksrep
Pete from JKS

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTJEEP1234 View Post
I just recently placed an order for a 2016 JKU Sport. I am looking into larger tires and a lift kit. I am wanting to get at least 35 inch tires (possibly 37s) and I am curious as to what size lift I would need. I had originally seen a JKU at the dealer with 35s and a 3.5inch lift that I thought looked good however am beginning to worry about the extra modifications required to put a 3.5 inch lift on my new JKU. I obviously don't want to have issues with my brand new jeep. I am not planning to do any heavy-duty off roading. I am getting the towing package and so my gearing ratios will be 3.73 (I believe). Please let me know what you all think I should do. I am also curious as to if I should do a full suspension lift or a partial body/partial suspension lift. Pros and cons to each? Any pictures of your current set ups would be helpful too. Thanks!
3.73s will get you by with 35s, but you'll notice a little bit of a performance hit. With a programmer to adjust the speedo and transmission shift points you'll be alright.

If you're sticking with 35s you can get away with a 2.5" lift with a little bit of rubbing, but with a porky 4 door I would go with a nice 3.5" kit for a little extra clearance and the look balances out nicely. You can brace the track bars and gusset the C knuckles and be ready for pretty much anything with 35s, and you can get pretty dirty with 35s and some driving. Unless you need them I don't recommend running 37s, even though that's what the cool kids will tell you it's the thing to do. 37s are opening up a can of worms and you'll end up spending a lot more money.

JKS makes several really nice JK lift kits that we call our JSpec line. They're all about total vehicle performance and drive really, really nicely on the street while being fully bashable in the dirt.

For your needs I would start with our JKontol JSpec kit: http://jksmfg.com/i-20697409-jspec-3...er-jk-4dr.html
Add our J Link fixed lower control arms: http://jksmfg.com/i-16457968-wrangle...ntrol-arm.html and http://jksmfg.com/i-16457976-wrangle...ntrol-arm.html
Finish it off with a rear track bar brace: http://jksmfg.com/i-8952508-fab-wran...bar-brace.html
Then, pick up our JCal programmer for the speedometer and transmission points: http://jksmfg.com/i-21821810-jks-j-cal-programmer.html
Now go drive your Jeep!

You will end up with a Jeep that is a joy on the street and will hold up to a beating in the dirt. It'll look like the Jeep pictured here, which is running our 3.5" JSpec kit and 35" KO2s.

Let me know if you're into it, I'll see what we can do as far as pricing goes!

Justin from JKS Manufacturing

Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-29-2015, 06:23 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
3.73 is marginal at best with 35"s. 4.1 is min. 4.56 performance/tow<auto. Why do people keep saying they can change the shift points on a w580? You can change the tire size by using a number of programmers. but none of them can crack the Tcm in the W5 and say change a shift point algorithm, wish . Off road your low wont be as low with 35"s and you will need low sooner as well. If you had bought a Rubi you would have a lower low and they come 4.1 auto that are set for 35"s, with some lift.

3.73 with 35"s will put the 5th in the gear hunt with 4th on the auto. The manual you can leave 6th for the salt flats in Utah....or high speed freeways

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
lift , modifications , suspension , tires , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in