Lifetime "Warranty" - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
GPV
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 933
Lifetime "Warranty"

Took the Jeep in for its five year check up. They said everything looked fine except the diff oil was black and that would need to be changed to keep the warranty......................cause it is black.

I think the dealer may be racist!


Sean

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?
 
michiganmaveric's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 2,807
If it is black it does need to be changed. Be thankful that is all they got you for.

Previous Jeeps: 84 CJ7 (A True Jeep), 2000 XJ (163,000 Miles/Totaled (Pictures of wrecked Jeep in gallery)), 2004 WJ (parting out die to major electrical issues)

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Jiblet
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 972
I hope you changed it yourself and brought it back (if necessary) and didn't pay some exorbitant dealer price for such simple job.

They can't hinge your lifetime warranty on something like a fluid change. Maybe you were due to change the diff oil in another X miles based on the schedule you follow.

Just seems fishy to me. Unless I'm misunderstanding something here.
Jiblet is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
I hope you changed it yourself and brought it back (if necessary) and didn't pay some exorbitant dealer price for such simple job.

They can't hinge your lifetime warranty on something like a fluid change. Maybe you were due to change the diff oil in another X miles based on the schedule you follow.

Just seems fishy to me. Unless I'm misunderstanding something here.
They can void that warranty if proof of fluid changes were not done according to the schedule.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Jiblet
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
They can void that warranty if proof of fluid changes were not done according to the schedule.
I understand what your saying but it's true only if a warranty claim is actually made and is denied because the claimed failure is caused by the improper maintenance.

If, say, he throws a rod, they can't say the power train warranty claim is denied just because his diff oil is dirty unless they show that the dirty diff oil caused the thrown rod. Then he could show proof of maintenance or argue the dirty diff oil didn't cause the rod failure.

Even if the dealer changed his diff oil right then and there, it doesn't necessarily save his ability to warranty a future diff oil related failure.

Say his gears grenade next month or next year. He makes a warranty claim that is denied for lack of maintenance AND he can't show he ever changed the diff oil except that one time at the 5yr inspection (or somehow or other didn't keep up with the diff oil changes required), good chance the denied claim would stand.

I guess the real question for Sean is, were you in fact due, overdue, or still on schedule for your diff maintenance?

Also, in my warranty it says I have to have the 5yr inspection but says nothing about having to show any proof of maintenance at the time of the inspection nor does it say that at the time of the inspection any service can or will be required to keep the warranty in force.

If Sean had said "thanks for pointing out that black diff oil, you racist" and drove off. And had been changing the diff oil on schedule all along and was still on that schedule, then no question of void or voidable warranty arises.
Jiblet is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
GPV
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
I understand what your saying but it's true only if a warranty claim is actually made and is denied because the claimed failure is caused by the improper maintenance.

If, say, he throws a rod, they can't say the power train warranty claim is denied just because his diff oil is dirty unless they show that the dirty diff oil caused the thrown rod. Then he could show proof of maintenance or argue the dirty diff oil didn't cause the rod failure.

Even if the dealer changed his diff oil right then and there, it doesn't necessarily save his ability to warranty a future diff oil related failure.

Say his gears grenade next month or next year. He makes a warranty claim that is denied for lack of maintenance AND he can't show he ever changed the diff oil except that one time at the 5yr inspection (or somehow or other didn't keep up with the diff oil changes required), good chance the denied claim would stand.

I guess the real question for Sean is, were you in fact due, overdue, or still on schedule for your diff maintenance?

Also, in my warranty it says I have to have the 5yr inspection but says nothing about having to show any proof of maintenance at the time of the inspection nor does it say that at the time of the inspection any service can or will be required to keep the warranty in force.

If Sean had said "thanks for pointing out that black diff oil, you racist" and drove off. And had been changing the diff oil on schedule all along and was still on that schedule, then no question of void or voidable warranty arises.
I didn't say that, I was very pleasant (at worst a sarcastic smirk) and just walked out the door.

I changed the gear oil at 10k miles (for break in) and now I am at 63k miles so the oil has 53k on it. These axles aren't exactly under a lot of stress. In fairness I haven't crawled under the Jeep and stuck my finger in there to see what the actual condition of the fluid is.

I don't believe there is a schedule for changing the fluid in the manual, all they do is list the oil to use in it.

Sean

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 AM
jstrubberg
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,123
There is a schedule. You're supposed to change it every 15k under harsh conditions. I do mine every 30k.
jstrubberg is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM
rirrgang
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,189
Follow the schedule in the manual. Keep records. Show them if asked. Warranty in effect. Period.

-Rick
07 Sahara Unlimited
rirrgang is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 AM
surfdogs
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 54
I'm actually glad this post came up. I never really thought about the five year inspection since my dealer closed a few months after I bought my 2008. I'll have to get that scheduled, although the closest dealer to me has a (well deserved) reputation for poor service.
surfdogs is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 AM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler
 
ronjenx's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,250
The inspection has to be done within 60 days of each 5 year anniversary of the date you bought the Jeep.
ronjenx is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome