Larger tires in rear vs front - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-04-2021, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Billy4

Larger tires in rear vs front

I realize this might be a dumb question. But currently running larger tires in the rear than front. Really because of a budget issue. I'll change that soon. Height is different and I'm experiencing for the first time death wobble at higher speeds and after a bump. Pretty good chance they are related I think eh? Thoughts? Opinions? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-04-2021, 09:47 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

You NEED to be running all the same size tire if you ever put it in 4WD, or you will trash your drivetrain. Different size tires means the axles and driveshafts are spinning at different speeds. If you engage any mode of 4WD, that's going to make a very expensive SNAP somewhere.
Impossible to diagnose your wobble issue without more info, but that's generally a suspension issue not tires. Start with telling us what mods have been done to the Jeep.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 6 Old 05-04-2021, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Billy4

Thanks Kruzin. No mods. Not touching the 4wd for now. Hopefully just another couple weeks till tires are replaced. I've just started educating myself and reading all the posts about death wobble. Lots of amazing info. I replaced just about everything in the front end last year (Covid and free time) except the track bar and sway bar / links. I had the front tires off the ground today and had someone move the steering wheel back and forth. Couldn't see any play in the track bar but it's 10 years old and it seems like it doesnt take much play to cause issues....and I could easily be missing seeing the play. I'll recheck and make sure it's all torqued down tommorow and the steering damper is shot so I'll replace that too but as I've read that won't solve the wobble. ( Just looking into things it seems in 2019 that jeep might be starting to put together a recall for this but that seemed just a beefier stabilizer.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-05-2021, 10:57 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Tire balance will also do it.

If the track bar is moving, you will normally see it. Ball Joints good? Unit bearing? You need to test the track bar with the tires ON the ground. Off the ground, if it's shifting, it's REALLY bad.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 6 Old 05-05-2021, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Billy4

Thanks! Wasnt looking at the track bar while on the ground. ( I missed that in my searches) I can definitely see a bit of movement on the track bar. I'll replace that and see how it goes. Unit bearing I think is wheel bearing? Replaced those and ball joints last spring. Will test them out too.( Using pry bar method under tire to look at ball joint movement) Also ordered some grade 8, 9/16 bolts and hardened washers with grade 8 lock nuts for the new track bar since reading about the 14mm that came with the jeeps not being the right size. Thanks for the information and help.

Cheers
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2021, 11:39 AM
2katz

Have you considered that the abs, traction control or stability control has been affected by the tire size difference.

As I understand it, when there is a difference in tire rotation the systems kick in.

Maybe that may be making it feel like DW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in