JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Keyless entry acting up ? What is going on ? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/keyless-entry-acting-up-what-going-921683/)

fleck 12-09-2009 05:43 PM

Keyless entry acting up ? What is going on ?

I have only had our 09 Sahara 2door for a month. Love it !

Anyway we recieved 2 key/remotes with the Jeep. I lock the Jeep with the remote and when I come back to get in.... it will not work..period. I have to unlock it the old fashoin way (hahaha) So I switched keys and the other key is doining it from time to time. ARGH !!

Took the Jeep and both keys to dealership. They tested the keys and said there is nothing wrong with them. But they won't look at the Jeep because there appears to be nothing wrong. Here is the funny part.... They told me to bring it in when it does it again ??? How??? Once I get into the Jeep...start it.. drive it there.... the problem is gone! Everytime it stops working... I manually unlock it, the alarm goes off, I start it, drive home, And it works fine for a couple days.

So basically they told me they can't do nothing unless it repeats this problem while in their possesion.

I know this is not any big mechanical issue, but it is annoying. The keyless is a nice touch when it works. I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem and what did you do to fix it???

Thank you for your time !

Joe Diver 12-09-2009 05:47 PM

I'd start by replacing the batteries in both fobs.....see if it still happens.

CGScotty 12-09-2009 06:24 PM

Yup can't go wrong by putting new betteries in.

NetworkMD 12-09-2009 06:46 PM

Absolutely agree new battery, and if that does not work ask the dealer to reprogram the fobs to the Jeeps computer. Do you carry both fobs to determine if the issue impacts both of them at the same time?

Good luck, getting this issue resolved.

Scooter_Trash 12-09-2009 07:03 PM

Get a spare key too, you'll need it if you ever need to reprogram the keys. If you loose one, you'll be out some serious cash, so the spare is cheap insurance. But none of this solves your fob prob.

Jeep - Transponder keys for less

fleck 12-09-2009 07:53 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions... I will try them all and see what happens !!

Thanks again guys =)

PhatJK 12-09-2009 09:06 PM

Happend to me a couple of times. Snap opened the back, wiggled the battery, then everything worked fine.

waterboarder 12-09-2009 10:07 PM

In my experience, the batteries in the FOBs go much more quickly than they should. Replace early, replace often.

fleck 12-11-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterboarder (Post 8447296)
In my experience, the batteries in the FOBs go much more quickly than they should. Replace early, replace often.

Well I just spent $5 on 1 battery to see if it was the battery and sure enough............... this did not help :mad: So I went and fetched the other remote with the original battery and it worked ?? What the ?!?!!??

So I start the Jeep up and then shut it off. The key with the new battery now works fine ?? It's like the Jeep doesn't want to recongize the key transponders all the time. I acts up when it feels like it.

Can I reprogram them myself or do I have to take to dealership and have them look at me like I crazy again.

PhatJK 12-11-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleck (Post 8457733)
Well I just spent $5 on 1 battery to see if it was the battery and sure enough............... this did not help :mad: So I went and fetched the other remote with the original battery and it worked ?? What the ?!?!!??

having the key your pocket, vibrations, shock from keys slaming onto tables, thermal cycles, moisture build up, etc..., can degrade battery connectors. The spare key is safely stored so everything should be pristine.

jearnold 12-11-2009 02:05 PM

Could be the wireless control module which receives the signal from the key remote. Have the dealer reprogram your keys to the wcm. This should take care of the problem.

TJeeper 12-11-2009 03:53 PM

Mine does this at least once a week. One remote does not work, the other does. Replaced batteries, no help. It is like the computer "forgets" the remote, then remembers it for a week or so and forgets it again. I haven't even bothered taking it to the dealer, I know the run around I would get from them.

It's like the Jeep forgetting the settings I have on the locks. I set it, a month later the settings change. Again, can't prove it to the dealer, so I know I'll just get blown off.

fleck 12-11-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJeeper (Post 8459695)
. Again, can't prove it to the dealer, so I know I'll just get blown off.

Amen ! I just know they hate doing any kind of warrenty work !:mad:

waterboarder 12-11-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleck (Post 8461827)
Amen ! I just know they hate doing any kind of warrenty work !:mad:

I just don't see how that could be. They get paid for warranty work. They don't get paid if you don't bring them something to fix.

PhatJK 12-12-2009 05:53 PM

Happened again today! Cleaned the battery and it worked again. Still use the same battery that came with the key.

The time now is 04:31 PM.