Keeping Factory Fogs on w/ High Beams?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Rockafella
2010 JK Wrangler 

Keeping Factory Fogs on w/ High Beams??

Did a search but the above key words are way to broad to lead me to where I wanna be.

Soooo, how do you do it? I simply would like to keep my fogs on when I switch to the high beams. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 AM
jimmyzwheelz

2012 JK Wrangler 

It's not legal to operate fog lights with high beams. Why would you want to anyway? You would have not added light from the fogs with the high beams. And if it's foggy enough to need the fog lights, the high beams would blind you bouncing back from the fog!

Jimmy
jimmyzwheelz
post #3 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Grizzly1

2010 JK Wrangler 

With the high beams on there is a "black" spot between the front of the vehicle and the begining of the high beam. The fog lights would illuminate that portion of the road. Obviously in fog you wouldnt turn your high beams on... But I am sure the OP appreciates your sarcasm.

OP, I have not researched it for the Jeep, but on a chevy truck I used to have, there was an after market relay to accomplish this. As far as the legality of it, that is news to me.

Semper Fi

Grizzly

post #4 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Steve98
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
With the high beams on there is a "black" spot between the front of the vehicle and the begining of the high beam. The fog lights would illuminate that portion of the road. Obviously in fog you wouldnt turn your high beams on... But I am sure the OP appreciates your sarcasm.

OP, I have not researched it for the Jeep, but on a chevy truck I used to have, there was an after market relay to accomplish this. As far as the legality of it, that is news to me.

You said it before I could, it would be nice to have highs and fogs on back or deserted roads.

2006 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Avernar

2010 JK Wrangler 

The fogs don't shut off when you pull the lever toward you to flash the high beams. Someone in the forum was trying to figure out which two wires to swap in the wiring harness to reverse the on and flash function.

I haven't seen anything since.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 AM
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
With the high beams on there is a "black" spot between the front of the vehicle and the begining of the high beam. The fog lights would illuminate that portion of the road. .

As far as the legality of it, that is news to me.

I don't know if they're really fogs or driving lights, but as said, they do a good job of illuminating the road directly in front and to the side, where most of the deer pop-out from and passed-out homeless roll-over into the road-way from.

As far as legality, hell, here in Kalifornication, it's anarchy, ain't no laws being enforced. I would love to be pulled over by a cop, for having "fogs" on, just for a community contact, and to prove cops still exist. You can drive from San Diego to frisco and never see a one--too busy guarding the crooked politicians.

I'm gonna' probably go with the IPD's that Bricktop posted about a few days ago. The IPD Fat-Boys worked well on my TJ once I got them adjusted properly. The lights on the JK are better than the TJ's, especially after I had the high-beams adjusted so they weren't up in the trees but on the road.

2009 JK Rubicon 4-Door
2006 TJ Rubicon Unlimited
post #7 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 AM
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you're good with wiring you could do it easily.

Check out this diagram made by Waterboarder. It should help.

You can check out this thread too

'08 X, Jeep Green, 6 speed, 32" BFG MT's, power options, rubi rock rails, front grab handles, soft top all year round ...oh yea and dirt.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Canadian-Bear
2011 JK Wrangler 

I accomplished this by running a separate switch/relay setup. I always drive with my lights and fog lights on. My fog lights aren't affected by the high beams.

2011 CANADIAN BEAR JK

/l ,[____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
post #9 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 11:32 AM
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzwheelz View Post
It's not legal to operate fog lights with high beams. Why would you want to anyway? You would have not added light from the fogs with the high beams. And if it's foggy enough to need the fog lights, the high beams would blind you bouncing back from the fog!
In case you didnt realize, not too many jeeps are 100% legal on this website. I also agree with the OP, with high beams on, and fog lights off it seems to only be bright down the road some, i think that having the fog lights on would help that.

BTW thanks johnny law

Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
post #10 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Rockafella
2010 JK Wrangler 

Was starting to wonder about the jeepers on this forum after the reading the first reply but thanks to the rest of you that ensured my sanity

Also thanks for the wiring diagram. I'm gonna give that other thread a good looksie and see if I can figure this thing out. It's not a pressing issue, but if it's an easy mod to do I'd love to get it done for those back country/dirt roads late at night w/ no on-comming traffic (besides the deer)
post #11 of 12 Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Canadian-Bear
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockafella View Post
Was starting to wonder about the jeepers on this forum after the reading the first reply but thanks to the rest of you that ensured my sanity
Hey, there are always going to be those "law abiding citizens" that feel they need to point out the obvious.

Most of us are here to help, and not to insult other's intelligence. I just came off of a course. Just before our exams, the standards officer always wrote on the board - "RTFQ" - Read The F'ing Question. It is self explanatory.

2011 CANADIAN BEAR JK

/l ,[____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
post #12 of 12 Old 07-29-2010, 10:13 AM
jimmyzwheelz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockafella View Post

Dang...you guys are wound way too tight! My post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek sarcasm! Geez...lighten up a bit.

Good luck with your re-wiring. Waterboarder's diagram is very helpful!

Jimmy
jimmyzwheelz

Tags
activation , fog lights , JK Wrangler , modification , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in