Keep new wheels and tires on in winter? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
GEC5741

Keep new wheels and tires on in winter?

Hey Guys,

I have a question I was wondering about. I'm in the process of looking for my first JKU and one of the first things I hope to do is put a 2.5" lift and upgrade to most likely 33" tires and new rims. I live in between Chicago and Milwaukee so winters can be pretty brutal with the snow and salt etc. I'm looking for a JK with the cold weather package and I believe that should come with a decent tire stock. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea come winter to swap back to the stock tires to keep the new wheels in good condition? Kind of hate doing that but just wanted to see what the experts would say to something like that.

Thanks, in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

A lot of people have 2 sets of wheels/tires they swap out seasonally, either for the same reasons as you or because their summer tires suck in the snow.
Not a bad idea.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 9 Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Depends on the JK/JKU package on what tires you get. Sports come stock with 16" wheels with a basic street tire that IMHO, sucks in the winter. Sahara's and Rubicon's will usually have a slightly better tire package on them.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 9 Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
GEC5741

Looking to get a sport S which usually come with 17's. Also I believe the cold weather package comes with a bit better tire than the basic stock ones. But yea as you said it would come down to whether or not the stock ones are any good in the snow because I'm sure my aftermarket ones would be great in the snow. I just want to keep the rims nice as long as I would be able to because we all know what snow/ice and road salt do to things.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-06-2017, 03:34 PM
terpsmandan
1998 ZJ 

Different tires will not be a part of the cold weather package. I got a set of rims off of a GC and powdercoated them matte black and used them for winter wheels with snow tires. Right now I have Nokian tires for her 15 JKUR and I intend to get another set for my 09. I have used Firestone, Bridgestone and General snow tires and have been happy with them.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-07-2017, 09:36 AM
cevtv

Cold Weather group includes "BF Goodrich Brand Tires".
post #7 of 9 Old 05-07-2017, 10:09 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
For 33s with a 2.5 lift your best choice is a 4.75 maximum backspace. Most wheels are going to be 4.5 so that's not a problem. To run the OEM wheel you want a 1.25 or 1.5 wheel spacer/adapter.
I went the spacer route on my winter set, and after 5 years going through the extra work and diligence I put the spacers on the shelf and bought a second set of wheels.
Just make sure you get a tire crayon and mark inside sidewalls when you come off. Stay in rotation to get most life of rubber.
And don't spend money for high treadwear numbers. Running two sets you will age em off before you wear em out. A 320 is a softer rubber and that's a plus in traction and ride.
Always wash tire, rinse and allow to dry well before storing, and store inside if possible, or tire bags in shade outside during summer. Do not allow your summer tires to freeze... Best to store deflated. If you use tire crap (aka black or shine) - soak with prewash at the car wash before pressure washing to get it all off before storing.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-07-2017, 10:32 AM
MikieB
Web Wheeler

2015 WK 

I replaced my 17" Sport S wheels last summer with a set of Quadratec Rims and 285's. Looks so much better. I live in PA and we also have salty winters. I was originally planning to reinstall my stock set for winter, but decided to leave the new ones on and so far they are fine. I sold my stock set on craigslist to make back some of the money and clear out some storage space.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-08-2017, 11:38 AM
terpsmandan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevtv View Post
Cold Weather group includes "BF Goodrich Brand Tires".
Looks like those are KO2's. I ran them last winter and they are not bad when new. I prefer to run a dedicated snow tire in winter. General, Firestone, Nokian and Bridgestone make LT rated snow tires that will work better than an off road tire on the snow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in