JKU Big Break Kit - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 05-19-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
LunchBox
1979 CJ7 

Garage
JKU Big Break Kit

Been a looooong time since I have posted but happy to be back.

Apologies if this has been explained elsewhere but I have searched far and wide and have come up empty-handed.

For the JK series Big Break Kit (P5160051AC), it states in the install instructions that... "If a MTX vehicle is used a clutch reservoir will be required for the clutch."

Does this mean the installed one needs replaced or is there a different part number that I cannot seem to find? Every post I have found about installing this has made no mention of needing anything for the clutch reservoir. The only things mentioned that don't come with the kit are extra break hardware screws and such, but nothing significant.

Is there a mysterious part number I am overlooking or as long as I buy the kit, I will have all the important parts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-19-2019, 09:10 PM
Brianscj5

Garage
It was talked about here look at post #8 he gives the part # he used for the clutch Master cylinder reservoir. Hope this helps

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

Crown Automotive Big Brake Kit RT31046

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 28 Old 05-20-2019, 12:17 AM
Kolak
Vendor

The Crown/RT Offroad kit has been an excellent kit. Check it out here:

https://www.crownautomotive.net/Big-...t/RT31046.html

They do recommend the HD master cylinder for best performance:

https://www.crownautomotive.net/Brak...8091278AB.html

Send me a PM here on the forum or email me at [email protected] if you'd like pricing or have questions.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 Old 05-21-2019, 01:33 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

The Crown kit is fantastic. I have it with the Mopar Performance booster and master cylinder and can stop 37's with a trailer almost on a dime.

You will need to add a clutch cylinder reservoir for a manual. Many have used this one. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...1098/overview/
Kolak likes this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 28 Old 05-22-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
LunchBox
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks, guys! Didn't mean to go dark all of a sudden.

Brian; Thanks for the post! I didn't see that as I was specifically doing searches with the MOPAR kit and it never showed.

Kolak & cranbiz; Thanks for the recommendation on the Crown as I had a friend point out Crown as well. I don't want to turn this into another 'which kit should I get thread', but is there a bonus or downfall to the Crown over the MOPAR? The comparison I had for for the two kits to make them 'equal' with respect to all needed parts (added breaklines, and booster kit) had them coming in at negligible price point. The end cost for MOPAR would only come out more due to shipping for for the MOPAR parts versus with free shipping for the Crown parts. So all things considered:

1. If it only costs a little extra to go OEM, why wouldn't I? Does the MOPAR kit have abnormal issues I haven't otherwise read about? Or does the Crown offer superior performance or life?..etc
2. If I did go Crown, would I potentially run into issues replacing pads later (IE; Do I always need to buy Crown pads for those or am would I still be OK using whatever pads I choose?)
post #6 of 28 Old 05-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Mopar performance kits are not OEM. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Those parts are not original equipment, and they're not made by the vehicle manufacturer. They are all aftermarket kits re-branded with the Mopar logo. You're paying extra for the additional markup Mopar puts on the kits, and maybe a Mopar logo.
Kolak likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #7 of 28 Old 05-22-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
LunchBox
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Hey Kruzin,

Been out of the Jeeping game for a loooong time so still learning all the newer stuff. Just trying to do right by my Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer
Not sure if you were trying to be condescending or not, but I know what OEM means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Those parts are not original equipment, and they're not made by the vehicle manufacturer. They are all aftermarket kits re-branded with the Mopar logo. You're paying extra for the additional markup Mopar puts on the kits, and maybe a Mopar logo.
I know manufacturers do this (not just in autoparts) I had looked around to see if I could find who actually made the parts but I continued to come up empty. What I did not know, until now, was that anything that starts with a 'P' in the part was classified as a 'Performance' part and thus would be considered non-OEM. Based on previous posts I read in my research I was under the impression these were OEM because they showed up as replacements for other FCA vehicles, not just an upgrade. So that was my logic behind 'get the OEM vs. Aftermarket' thought process. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FWIW, had an argument with Subaru dealership on my old Outback where the parts guy just laughed at me when I asked him if there was anything 'special' about the starter. It was 3x the cost of non-dealer part, and he said "Yeah, you won't need to replace it again in 70k miles." Jokes on him, the aftermarket lasted for another 130k+ until I was T-boned. Point is I have nothing against non-dealer parts.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 PM
Brianscj5

Garage
The Mopar kit is the crown kit with the addition of the bigger master cylinder, brake booster and brake hose's. It's sold through Mopar parts department with a FCA part #.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 02:18 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Crown uses part number 5143350AC pads in the kit. That's a RAM front pad so you can easily get replacements other than Crown.

or
post #10 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 06:20 AM
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

I went with the Mopar Big Brake kit. Mostly because my jeep club gets a 20% discount through the dealership. And I didn't know about the crown kit. I did have to make up my own clutch reservoir. I used a kit from summit racing that is relatively cheap. It does suck that its not a bigger warning label for the mtx guys.
post #11 of 28 Old 05-25-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
LunchBox
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks everyone for the help, and replies.

Just got everything ordered. I ended up going with the Crown BBK for the front and crown service parts with the rear, as well as the Mopar booster kit and wilwood reservoir (as well as some POR15 and other misc hardware) so my wallet hurts a little.

Hopefully everything arrives without a problem and off to work I will go! Thanks again for the help and feedback!
post #12 of 28 Old 05-26-2019, 12:47 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Who'd you order them from? You didn't contact me but hopefully one of the forum Vendors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchBox View Post
Thanks everyone for the help, and replies.

Just got everything ordered. I ended up going with the Crown BBK for the front and crown service parts with the rear, as well as the Mopar booster kit and wilwood reservoir (as well as some POR15 and other misc hardware) so my wallet hurts a little.

Hopefully everything arrives without a problem and off to work I will go! Thanks again for the help and feedback!

or
post #13 of 28 Old 05-26-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
LunchBox
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Who'd you order them from? You didn't contact me but hopefully one of the forum Vendors.

I do greatly appreciate the offer and will certainly take you up on it in the future but I ended up with a majority from Quadratec and a few off of Amazon.

The biggest driver was really just urgency. My right caliper started sticking recently (though intermittently) and got really bad the last few days and has had my ABS kicking in when driving. I was hoping it wouldn’t escalate this quick and that I could get all my parts in order to shoot you a PM however last night it almost caused me an accident and I couldn’t wait.
post #14 of 28 Old 05-26-2019, 07:33 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Just FYI, I'm direct with Crown. There's no middleman. I've been a dealer for their parts for 15+ years. Anything you would have ordered from me would have shipped the very next working day from the Crown warehouse closest to you right to your door. Looks like you are in Ohio? Crown's MA warehouse is 2 working days away. My relationship with them allows for instantaneous warranty service should you have a parts issue. My sale rep Scott takes care of things extremely promptly.

Quadratec is a Vendor here so at least I feel good that they got support. It's very expensive to be a Vendor on this forum so we appreciate that.

or
post #15 of 28 Old 05-26-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
LunchBox
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Thats awesome to know! I wasn’t happy about needing to jump the gun so fast on this but for future orders, you will def be the the first in my list.

I certainly would rather support the forum vendors when possible but I had some extra credits from Amazon which is why a few things came from there (since I already had non-Jeep stuff to get anyway) but a majority of it was Quad.

Seriously thank you and sorry for not reaching out to you first. Hopefully it doesn’t bite me, but maybe that’s what I get for being out of the forums and jeeping for so long.
Kolak likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in