JKU Axle Dana 30 vs. 44 (possible swap) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Johnnyswell

JKU Axle Dana 30 vs. 44 (possible swap)

What's good Jeepers,

So I'm about to get rid of my current 00' XJ and Upgrade to a JKU. I'm currently looking around at some slightly used ones online with manual transmission and under 80k miles but wondering what the major drawbacks of having the dana 30 is verses the dana 44 axle.

As a fair warning I will be using the JKU for off-roading, mudding, beach cruising, and light/small rock crawling. Nothing too crazy though. I'm definitely going to throw on a 3.5" lift with 33s at least.

From my understanding all JKUs basically have the dana 44 in the rear. Everything but the Rubicon has the dana 30 in the front where the Rubi has the dana 44. If I ended up not going with a Rubicon (because of color and my price range) what would I need to put a dana 44 in the front?

I know the Rubicon has the axle gear ratio of 4.10 while most others have the 3.23 ratio. So I know if I throw a dana 44 in the front I would need to change front and rear gears to at least 4.10

I really need to know all the parts I would need to do this. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-29-2016, 08:53 AM
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

You are on the right path. If you are just going to wheel with 33's and not wheel hard, I would save the coin and just add some strength do the D30. You can truss it, put C gussets on there, and swap the shafts and you would be more than good to go with 33's. 33's is close to stock on a JK and there is not a lot of change.

If we can help, please let us know.

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
Forum Discount: KORJEEPFORUM
post #3 of 3 Old 03-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Z-OR

I'll give you a few things to chew on while you do some more research.

- 3.5" is a big lift on a JK and bring with it some added costs and headaches over the more common 2.5" lift.
- As Krawl said, 33" is almost stock size and you can get to 33s with just a little coil spacer and a little bumpstop.
- 35's is the common size for any lifted JK. Will definitely require a regear with 3.23s. 4.10s can work if they work for you.
- Gears are a whole 'nother can of worms. I suggest searching for a day or two and reading up online. When your head feels as if it is about to explode, write back...
- The Dana 30 vs. 44 discussion is the very least of your worries. The 44 in the Rubi's is a minor upgrade from the 30. Sharing axle tubes and C's, which (again) as Krawl wisely pointed out are a common weak point.
- That said, many of us with more brains than right foot have managed to make the 30 last just fine on 35s.

:-)

2016 JKU
Cloaked! / 35" BFGs
Crawler Conceptz /AEV ProCal /VKS sliders
- GC 5.7

Tags
axle comparison , Axle gear ratio , dana 30 , dana 44 swap , jku

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in