JK total frame replacement after accident - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
jellosh0ts

2008 JK Wrangler 

JK total frame replacement after accident

so here's one I haven't been able to find in the search... I have an '08 Unlimited Rubicon, 15K miles. Drove 5000 miles this summer from NY to Colorado & back to go wheelin with hardly a scratch.. came home, parked in front of my house and overnight someone hit me head on... my Mopar winch bumper looked like it took a good hit and saved the Jeep, but now after being in the body shop a couple of weeks I've been told I need a new frame! The frame got racked down the drivers side, even the body mounts on the rear are stressed! Of course my insurance company wanted the body shop to straighen the frame, but my guy is good and got them to approve a whole new frame. Anyway, has anyone been through this? seen it done? will everything ever work right again?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1023.JPG  

2008 JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Red, Mopar Bumper, Warn 9.5XP winch, Tuffy security, sPOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 PM
RockyClymer
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

A total frame replacement? Why didn't they just total it? That is everything (body, engine, tranny, axles, you name it, off and on) - good luck with having it all done right. Sorry, just my 2 cents worth - I would get them to total it and start over.

08 JK 23S - Colorado Jeep Club No. 204
Too much to list - see my profile for details on build
16 JK Rubi with all the trimmings
NRA Life member
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
post #3 of 33 Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
jellosh0ts

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
A total frame replacement? Why didn't they just total it? That is everything (body, engine, tranny, axles, you name it, off and on) - good luck with having it all done right. Sorry, just my 2 cents worth - I would get them to total it and start over.
I tried to have it totaled... My insurance company needed 75% of it's value to total it, and apparently a new frame is about $2500 plus 40+ hrs of labor still doesn't bring it even close.

I have thought about trading it in after the repair, I figure I'm going to take a financial hit on it eventually...

2008 JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Red, Mopar Bumper, Warn 9.5XP winch, Tuffy security, sPOD

post #4 of 33 Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 PM
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Replacing the frame is the strangest thing i've ever heard of. Who's the insurance company?

AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
post #5 of 33 Old 09-08-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
jellosh0ts

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post

Replacing the frame is the strangest thing i've ever heard of. Who's the insurance company?
Allstate... the original adjuster didn't even want to cover the Mopar bumper.

Anyone I've ever known that's had their car or truck "straightened" after an accident has always had long lasting problems. I guess if they do the job right, the new frame should make it good as new. I hope.

post #6 of 33 Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Beltfed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

wow, thats insane... I would drop allstate immediately after you get it repaired.... I cant believe they didnt total it the cheap bastard... I have Pekin Insurance and they are great, I wrecked a motorcycle last year, not bad at all either...the plastic was damaged but it had a scratch on the frame so they totaled it

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 33 Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The front (replaceable) portion of each side rail is designed to crush before the rest of the frame deforms. I wonder why that didn't happen on yours. (Not the crush cans. The front portion of the rails.)

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-09-2009 at 10:04 AM.
post #8 of 33 Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 PM
RockyClymer
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

40 hours to pull everything off the frame and replace it? Kinda makes me wonder about the estimator...any thoughts on the total labor? I don't question the frame, but the labor would seem like a lot more than 40 hours - the body would lift off, but gotta hold the engine up and the axles have to come off and be re-installed...geez, better know what they are doing.

08 JK 23S - Colorado Jeep Club No. 204
Too much to list - see my profile for details on build
16 JK Rubi with all the trimmings
NRA Life member
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
post #9 of 33 Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 PM
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Also, what does replacing the entire frame do to the title of your vehicle?

AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
post #10 of 33 Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 AM
tkob1060
2016 WK 

Quote:
40 hours to pull everything off the frame and replace it? Kinda makes me wonder about the estimator...any thoughts on the total labor? I don't question the frame, but the labor would seem like a lot more than 40 hours - the body would lift off, but gotta hold the engine up and the axles have to come off and be re-installed...geez, better know what they are doing.
the 40hrs wasnt just pulled out of the air or a guess lol.....there are books, well now its all on computer, but its known as book time, every past on every vehicle has a book time of how long it will take to be replaced R&I removed and reinstalled, R&R removed and replaced. Replacing the frame really isnt that big of a deal, but I am surprised they couldnt straighten it.. The books and software are made by a company called MOTOR, they've been around FOREVER and every and body shop uses them as do the insurance companies. Some companies that use the same shops over and over have deals worked out with them for better labor rates. Body shops arent raking any insurance company over the coals so to speak, but if you go in there to have your car repainted out of your own pocket, they most likely arent going by any book time..
About Us | MOTOR Information Systems

I wouldnt worry the jeep will be as good as new if its a competent shop and to talk the insurance company into a new frame they do sound like they know what they are doing. These guys replace parts every day of the week, the frame is just a big part lol. I've seen it done before, its just a lot more nuts and bolts. Taking the body off is the simplest part, heck some of the shops doing Hemi swaps lift off the body in 45min. Do you have a lift? If not you should get one and have them put in on the new frame for you

check out this link for more info
How Does Gold Class Affect Me?
post #11 of 33 Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 AM
AlterEgo

2008 JK Wrangler 

Have them extend your trans and tcase vents then they have the body off. Its real easy at that point. Great time for a body lift too.

I apologize ahead of time, but the smart a$$ in me can't resist. Good thing Jeep put those crush cans on the bumper, or things would have been a lot worse.

Gary Greenway - KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #12 of 33 Old 09-09-2009, 08:57 AM
groverNH
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck with the frame replacement. Here are some pictures of my wifes JK after getting rear ended on the high way

Crashed JK pictures by groverNH - Photobucket

Also, we have allstate insurance and it was a real pain. I did not feel like I was in good hands. Eventually it got totaled but it took like 5 weeks. Then another couple of weeks to get money from them.

One thing my insurance told me is that if the shop says it can't be reliably fixed then the insurance will consider it totaled. So if the shop says even with a new frame it won't ever drive correctly and they won't be able to stand behind there work and therefore they refuse to fix it, insurance should consider that totaled. at least that is what I was told.
post #13 of 33 Old 09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
dsy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Replacing the frame would not be that big of a deal for a shop. I would think 40 hrs would be a conservative figure and there would be no reason it would not drive as good as new if they do it right. There is not that much to swap frame wise.

Flame red unlimited Rubicon 5 speed 5-45RFE Auto , 35" KM2's, RCV front axles, 3 1/2" AEV premium lift, AEV snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant,Full River Raider Alum skids, Marchal E-Code Lamps, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer, 09 Mygig w/ipod interface, Katzkin leather, ya its got a Hemi :-)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dsy; 09-09-2009 at 01:18 PM.
post #14 of 33 Old 09-09-2009, 01:25 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have always liked that set of pictures.
You can see the front portion of the rails, from the round cross member forward, that are designed to collapse before the rest of the frame deforms. Those two sections are available as replacement parts.
post #15 of 33 Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 AM
highoctane
2013 WK 

Yeah it isn't that hard to pull the body off the frame. I've seen a few threads, not sure they were on here, of people lifting the body off to do a hemi swap. Much easier with the body off the frame. I believe it only takes a few hours to actually get the body off. The rest of the labor would be the engine, driveline, suspension, and wire harnesses.

'08 Silver Jeep Unlimited Rubicon, Teraflex longarm suspension, 17" Raceline beadlocks, 37" MT/R Kevlars. SOLD :(

'13 WK2 Laredo E - Black Forest Green, 3.6. SOLD

'13 WK2 Deep Cherry Red Trail Hawk - 3.6, sunroof, Nav, loaded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in