JK spring replacement - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By propped1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
RustyC0755

JK spring replacement

Does anyone happen to know if springs from a '15 will fit '08? I need to replace mine and someone is donating some from a '15.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-22-2019, 01:30 PM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyC0755 View Post
Does anyone happen to know if springs from a '15 will fit '08? I need to replace mine and someone is donating some from a '15.

All JK stock springs fit all JKs. There are various spring rates for 2dr v 4dr v sport v rubi.... but they will all work. A 4dr rubi spring is the stiffest. Almost all aftermarket spring manufacturers are better quality springs than stock.

I am curious why you are need to replace springs.... break one? I bet its shocks you need to replace.
RubiconFreedom likes this.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #3 of 5 Old 04-22-2019, 01:48 PM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Perhaps the jeep is too spongy as coil springs tend to sag or budge over time. Plus if one knows the springs tag numbers maybe they just want to upgrade. Anything below 17AC (front) or 56AA (rear) could use a bit stiffer coil. Even with an upgrade to the 10A of Rubicon Recon coils can offer a significant spring rate as well as a minimal lift.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry

post #4 of 5 Old 04-23-2019, 07:16 AM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
Perhaps the jeep is too spongy as coil springs tend to sag or budge over time. Plus if one knows the springs tag numbers maybe they just want to upgrade. Anything below 17AC (front) or 56AA (rear) could use a bit stiffer coil. Even with an upgrade to the 10A of Rubicon Recon coils can offer a significant spring rate as well as a minimal lift.

I have seen sag issues from aftermarket spring manufacturers, I have heard of broken coils.... But a spongy ride is not the coil. Each coil bears a different weight and does different things in suspension cycle. Usually one will break, not all 4 get spongy. See a lean. Thats a coil. If its just vague ride and spongyness, its a shock (s). Especially in the JK. The coils dont take as much abuse since there is a seperate shock controlling the cycle. Now if a shock isnt working? And you keep driving on it and all the compression/rebound is on the spring. The spring breaks, but it wasnt the springs fault.

The Stock JK shocks should be changed every 40-50K. They are not great. If you have aftermarket shocks and a lift, I havent seen many shocks make it past 40-50 either. Lots fail at 25/30. Sooner if you really beat on them. I bent a shaft on a rear brand new Fox 2.0 adjustable that had about 2000 miles on it. Wiped out the bearing and seals. Had it rebuilt. Had 5160 bilsteins before on 33.5s doing Easy medium offroading.... 27K and the fronts wouldnt rebound. Just fancy limit straps. If you have a stock 08 with 150K and still running the stock junk.... things are going to break.

The best thing you can do for ride is get an aftermarket spring (Teraflex leveling springs are very good quality and stiffer than factory at the same height), and a quality monotube shock. With all the junk JK owners throw on their rigs, they get heavy. I weighed mine for shock tuning. 5067 lbs no back seat, nothing in it. Full tank of gas. Me not in it. Me and my offroad stuff and a cooler? 5600lb rig. Its a 2dr. Some of these 4 drs you see are pushing 6200-6500 lbs with kit and a passenger or two. Good shocks, changed frequently.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #5 of 5 Old 05-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
Sounds great, but a lot of folks are probably interested in your non-descript triple-rate coils

2017 JK Sahara (my Smartcar)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in