jk hardtop 4 door makes drum sound when going over bumps - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Godxilla
2011 JK Wrangler 

jk hardtop 4 door makes drum sound when going over bumps

just got a 4 dr hardtop jk. when i roll over bumps on the road i get a lot of reverb sound, like im sitting in a drum. anyone else have this? anything to do about it???

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 AM
sixty5vdub

That's because ............. it is a big drum.
JK

Make sure the top is properly secured to the Jeep.
Should have 6 star-drive bolts in the rear of the Jeep, attaching the top to the tub (don't over-tighten these, or you will crack the hard top). A little past hand tight is fine. Check them periodically to make sure they don't vibrate loose.
There should also be two bolts attaching the top to the Jeep that can only be seen with the front Freedom Panels removed. They attach the top to the Jeep at the B-pillar (the post between the front and rear door).
Finally, there should be two fasteners attaching the top to the Jeep through the sound bar. Will be located on either side of the interior light, directly behind the front seats.

If all of this checks out ok, then you can try to minimize noise by adding DynaMat or some form of headliner to the top.
Or, buy some Nitto Mud Grapplers, and you won't hear anything except the tires.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Godxilla
2011 JK Wrangler 

Do others experience this same issue? i feel like im inside a big drum! it happens more when im going 20-40 mph than freeway speeds...

post #4 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 01:37 PM
mtbr
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've never had this, but my guess is with sixty5vdub. "sounds" like loose or missing bolts.
Possibly 1 or both of the large hand screw bolts over head?

2012 4 door Sahara / Black
2008 4 door Sahara / Rescue Green Jeep Club Member #15
1992 YJ / White
post #5 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Vin

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have tha same in the 2 door. I think it's just the nature of the beast.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 PM
HikerX

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godxilla
Do others experience this same issue? i feel like im inside a big drum! it happens more when im going 20-40 mph than freeway speeds...
I hear the same thing, usually on the left side like it's between the front and rear doors. It sounds like something is "flopping" up and down, but not like it's rattling or anything.

'14 WK2 Limited
Previous Jeeps
'11 JKU - '96 XJ Country - '04 TJ - '86 CJ7
post #7 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerXJ View Post
I hear the same thing, usually on the left side like it's between the front and rear doors. It sounds like something is "flopping" up and down, but not like it's rattling or anything.
Put a couple wraps around the door strikers. The little "U" on the latch plate.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

My 2010 2-dr did the same thing, and my best guess was the hardtop was acting exactly like a drum, flexing and vibrating independently from the rest of the vehicle.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Hieneken49
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the same issue, i think its poor drivers door alignment. Before i take it back to the dealership, any easy fixes?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 AM
wrestlerobx

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu View Post
Put a couple wraps around the door strikers. The little "U" on the latch plate.
A couple searches would tell you that this is the most likely thing to be causing this noise. The hardtop being loose and bouncing would be louder and way more noticeable. I am not saying that it couldn't be the cause but it is unlikely. Plus you would have cracked the thing by now.

Ok, if neither of these are the culprits then you could potentially have a dent in your tailgate. What you would be looking for is a concave area that if you push on it will sound like a tin can be popped in and out. This noise is called canning and can sound like a drum. If you don't have any dents and you have gone through all three of these ideas then throw a couple more wraps of electrical tape on the U part of the door stricker where the latch sits.

JEEP
post #11 of 11 Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 PM
marcus2137
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had a 99 cherokee that did the same thing over speed bumps; the top near the rear would pop up and down and sound like a drum (or just like the sound of sheet metal popping back and forth). I put some cheap dynamat-type insulation under the roof (you can get a generic insulation that is same as dynamat from hardware stores), and the sound stopped. It was really annoying before then though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in