JK front passenger seat removal - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-27-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Maine45
2014 JK Wrangler 

JK front passenger seat removal

JK Sahara 2 door, need help with connector
Have removed seat bolts 18mm and seat belt T45 now down to the connector.
Must unplug electrical connector under the seat.
Anyone know how connector comes apart.

Going to Sebring FL. races and need seat out so I will have place to sleep at the track.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-27-2007, 06:52 PM
jeepers3

You realize of course that if you remove the passenger front seat, you have to take it to the dealer to have the seat re-installed properly because the passenger airbag sensor will need to be recalibrated, and only the dealer can do it.

This is true even if you just loosen the bolts, which you have already done - so now I guess you are screwed.

If I were you, I would leave that seat he hell alone.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-27-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Maine45
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
You realize of course that if you remove the passenger front seat, you have to take it to the dealer to have the seat re-installed properly because the passenger airbag sensor will need to be recalibrated, and only the dealer can do it.

This is true even if you just loosen the bolts, which you have already done - so now I guess you are screwed.

If I were you, I would leave that seat he hell alone.

Knew passenger airbag sensor would have to be recalibrated. Don't carry passenger in my Jeep have other cars for that.

post #4 of 17 Old 02-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Evil_Ed
2007 JK Wrangler 

Most Mopar connectors have a bar you need to pull out, and then a snap to lift up to disconnect it...like a red bar that pulls out?

Failing that...you can always just cut the wires..?

Especially if you never have a passenger, may as well have the airbag professionally removed. Provided you don't set it off or otherwise destroy it, you can always put it back in later...
post #5 of 17 Old 02-28-2007, 12:24 AM
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Ed
Most Mopar connectors have a bar you need to pull out, and then a snap to lift up to disconnect it...like a red bar that pulls out?

Failing that...you can always just cut the wires..?

Especially if you never have a passenger, may as well have the airbag professionally removed. Provided you don't set it off or otherwise destroy it, you can always put it back in later...
Total speculation - but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a law somewhere about disabling or removing airbags from cars. A while back they had they key thing you could use to turn it off if a child is up there or whatever - which is why they came up with these occupant classification system things.

I dunno - just a guess. The govt is always trying to increase its power and intrude on our lives - this would be just another way for it to unconstitutionally assert itself.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 AM
nota4re

Quote:
Well, OK, I think some clarification.

First, I do not think the dealer is necessary to re-install the seat "properly". When you're done, simply bolt it back in and torque the bolts if you want to be totally proper. Re-connect the connector.

Second, you can remove the seat and connector (IMO), but just don't ever turn the key on when the connector is disconnected. The computer (upon ignition on sequence) will perform a self-diagnostic check of sensors and will be very disappointed not to hear back from the passenger seat. This will trip a code and this code typically is not resettable by the owner with battery disconnects, etc. (DCX would consider this a major fault code and wants the dealer to look at it.)

In brief, do what you want with the seat, just get it installed/connected before the computer discovers something was changed. You'll be OK.

UltraMount CB Ant. Mount for the JK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 White 4-door Rubi
post #7 of 17 Old 02-28-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Maine45
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re
Well, OK, I think some clarification.

First, I do not think the dealer is necessary to re-install the seat "properly". When you're done, simply bolt it back in and torque the bolts if you want to be totally proper. Re-connect the connector.

Second, you can remove the seat and connector (IMO), but just don't ever turn the key on when the connector is disconnected. The computer (upon ignition on sequence) will perform a self-diagnostic check of sensors and will be very disappointed not to hear back from the passenger seat. This will trip a code and this code typically is not resettable by the owner with battery disconnects, etc. (DCX would consider this a major fault code and wants the dealer to look at it.)

In brief, do what you want with the seat, just get it installed/connected before the computer discovers something was changed. You'll be OK.

Thanks for all your help.
The connector was a squeeze and pull. Now have red light on dash that tell that there is no airbag for passenger. That ok the dealer can recalibrat when I trade it in. Now have Jeep configurated the way I want.

JK Sahara 2dr Green Metallic, Dual Top, Trailer Group, LS Diff, 18" Wheels
post #8 of 17 Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Five0retired
2010 JK Wrangler 

Seat removal for Rhino Liner

....Well i just found a Rhino Liner installer who will install the Rhino Guard for $500.00, BUT he says I have to bring the jeep to him stripped,..... top off, rear seat and passenger seat removed. From what I am reading here do I bring the jeep to the dealer and ask them to strip the seat?
post #9 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM
krutj

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five0retired View Post
....Well i just found a Rhino Liner installer who will install the Rhino Guard for $500.00, BUT he says I have to bring the jeep to him stripped,..... top off, rear seat and passenger seat removed. From what I am reading here do I bring the jeep to the dealer and ask them to strip the seat?
Just take it to the dealer after the bedlining, have them recal the airbag.

-- Joel --
post #10 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Croce

2009 JK Wrangler 

Dont mean to hi-jack the thread, But i needed to remove some bolts on the rear seat and seatbelt to install a seat cover. That wont make a difference with the air bags right since it was the rear seats?

2009 Jeep JK Sahara Unlimited | Smittybilt XRC Rock Guards | Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper | Rockcrusher Front D30 Diff Cover | KC Hilities Daylighters | Rancho Oil Pan Cover | BMD Evap Skid | AEV Snorkel

Mirror Flip | Daystar dash | Painted Sahara Rims | Seat mounted Mag-lites | Gutter Grill inserts | Smittybilt Seat covers | Vent Mirrors | Spray Can-Bed Liner and Interior Paint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Any fool can know. The point is to understand- Einstein
post #11 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 PM
nyrangersfan19

2012 JK Wrangler 

What exactly would happen if one weren't to recalibrate the airbag? I was planning on just removing the front seat, spraying the bedliner, then putting it back in without starting the vehicle in between. Any problem with that?
post #12 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 04:03 PM
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

If the airbag isn't calibrated correctly, it won't deploy.

That's a problem for your passenger, but I seriously doubt it's illegal. Most vehicles have a switch to allow you to disable a passenger side bag anyway. I doubt the car manufacturers included a switch enabling you to break a law.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
tkob1060
2016 WK 

You do NOT need to bring the jeep to dealer to recalibrate the airbag BUT you must disconnect the battery and wait 2 minutes before unplugging the air bags, then when you reinstall disconnect the battery before plugging the seat in again. I know this for a fact, I had mine out for linex install.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 04:13 PM
tkob1060
2016 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Dont mean to hi-jack the thread, But i needed to remove some bolts on the rear seat and seatbelt to install a seat cover. That wont make a difference with the air bags right since it was the rear seats?
no the rear seat has no air bags. did you get the bolts all out yet? If you need to remove the bolts on the 4 dr rear seat you have to take the front leg bolts out first, then flip the seat up and you can get to the rear bolts, use a long 6 or 10 inch extension on a 3/4 drive ratchet.

post #15 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Croce

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
no the rear seat has no air bags. did you get the bolts all out yet? If you need to remove the bolts on the 4 dr rear seat you have to take the front leg bolts out first, then flip the seat up and you can get to the rear bolts, use a long 6 or 10 inch extension on a 3/4 drive ratchet.

Thanks for the response, just wanted to double check
Love the Rhino-Line/LineX btw, Looks great

2009 Jeep JK Sahara Unlimited | Smittybilt XRC Rock Guards | Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper | Rockcrusher Front D30 Diff Cover | KC Hilities Daylighters | Rancho Oil Pan Cover | BMD Evap Skid | AEV Snorkel

Mirror Flip | Daystar dash | Painted Sahara Rims | Seat mounted Mag-lites | Gutter Grill inserts | Smittybilt Seat covers | Vent Mirrors | Spray Can-Bed Liner and Interior Paint

Any fool can know. The point is to understand- Einstein

Tags
air bag disconnect , JK Wrangler , seat removal , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in