JK "Barn Door" option for factory hardtop - Page 199 - JeepForum.com
 449Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2971 of 2987 Old 09-08-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2R View Post
I am a new JK owner and I must say what you have done is quite remarkable.

I just installed a blue Ox tow plate and much to my disappointment, bull bars and winches don't mix with tow plates.

So, in you spare time, please feel free to develop a bull bar that utilizes the quick connect feature of the plate so I can drop it in after I disconnect the tow bar.

thanks in advance.

A few months ago I designed a "quick install" front receiver/tow bar mount for the JK (and a version for the TJ/LJ) that allows the use of a winch when needed or a tow bar and the entire mount installs/removes in minutes with just a few bolts. Wouldn't be hard to do a bull bar that mounted the same way so all options could be had with only few minute swap.

Receiver/tow bar mount with nothing installed:

Winch installed in the receiver: (the vertical receiver behind the winch permits storing the winch vertically so it doesn't protrude past the bumper for daily driving).

Tow bar installed (test install before I had the mount powder coated):

In this video I'm removing the mount, takes about 30 seconds. Install takes a few seconds longer because of the time to start the bolts in threads.

Haven't thought about doing a bull bar using the same mounting design but it would be pretty straightforward.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2987 Old 09-08-2019, 06:55 PM
L2R
2013 JK Wrangler 

jscherb,

That is pretty cool.
Years ago, I had a bay for my week end projects and a hail storm came up. I couldn't put up the belt sander, pipe bender etc. fast enough to get my ragtop inside.
I ended using 2" receiver tubing to build an "H" shape about 30" high and bolted it to the concrete floor and wall. I then put all my bench tools, grinder sander etc. on plates with hitched sized tubing. I could change out or clear the area in a couple of minutes. Not original at all, just replicating what others did before me.

So, I do some novice work but nothing like you have accomplished. I am in awe of those who can follow an idea thru to completion. You do great work.

I don't know that anyone else who pulls a wrangler behind their rv cares about this idea but it was just obvious that the quick change blue ox has ( about 5 seconds to pull the pin) could have other uses and it just ticked me off that I can't have both.

good luck with your many endeavors and I am going to keep watching.
post #2973 of 2987 Old 09-09-2019, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

More Ikea Jeep accessories... Ikea sells a similar bed pocket called Stickat for $7.99, it's about half the width and the pockets are a little deeper; it comes in black, green and pink. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/stickat...lack-80378338/

Two could fit across the tailgate, in this photo it's sitting on top of the blue one, it would mount a little further down.

Or, with a quick mod, it makes a pretty nice seat back pocket...

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

post #2974 of 2987 Old 09-09-2019, 02:53 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Jeff, The $4.99 Harbor Freight magnetic tool holder will do exactly what that Ikea one does for a lot less if you need to prototype more.

I put one in my camper just to put knives on.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #2975 of 2987 Old 09-09-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Jeff, The $4.99 Harbor Freight magnetic tool holder will do exactly what that Ikea one does for a lot less if you need to prototype more.

I put one in my camper just to put knives on.
Yes, I picked up 3 or 4 or the HF ones when they had coupons offering them for free. I have some ideas for using them in various places in the Jeep but haven't implemented any of the ideas yet. The HF ones are too wide for the fridge though, they would have to be cut. The Ikea one is the perfect width for the fridge right out of the box.

post #2976 of 2987 Old 09-09-2019, 03:00 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Ahh, 18" was OK in my trailer, I don't have the Dometric fridge so I can see than being an issue.

Just trying to help.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #2977 of 2987 Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Ahh, 18" was OK in my trailer, I don't have the Dometric fridge so I can see than being an issue.

Just trying to help.

Help is always appreciated, can never have too much of it .

Thanks.

post #2978 of 2987 Old 09-09-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A few weeks ago I posted some design concept images for new door pockets I was planning to make: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/...l#post40713465

Today I sewed some prototypes. I sewed three different versions to see which design I like better.

The first one has a small Mollle panel, a 1-liter drink bottle pocket, and a map pocket. Here are two views - empty and loaded.

Even with the water bottle in place a large (6" wide x 8" tall) Molle bag can fit... actually it's an Overland Outfitters Grab & Go bag so it can be grabbed off the Molle grid in a second without messing with Molle straps.

The second version has a larger built-in leather pocket with a flap secured by a magnetic clasp and a small leather pocket (which is holding my cell phone in this photo), and also a map pocket.

And the third one has a larger Molle panel and a map pocket. BTW the Molle grid straps are leather on both prototypes.

I'll do some testing to see which I find most useful.

post #2979 of 2987 Old 09-09-2019, 09:10 PM
amitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Today I sewed some prototypes. I sewed three different versions to see which design I like better.

How are you thinking about mounting these? New holes required in door or reusing old pocket holes only?
post #2980 of 2987 Old 09-09-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitti View Post
How are you thinking about mounting these? New holes required in door or reusing old pocket holes only?
The way these are designed the sides and bottom secure tightly to the door panel with no fasteners of any kind like custom upholstery. Along the top, two methods can be used - they can be secured with self-adhesive Velcro, or they can be secured with 3 screws. If you look at the prototypes I sewed, the first one (with the water bottle) is designed to be attached along the top with self adhesive Velcro and the other two have three grommets for screws (the ones with the grommets can also be attached using only Velcro if desired).

In my experience I'd much rather make a few screw holes than use adhesive of any kind - these are designed to carry a good amount of weight and I don't really trust self-stick adhesive for load carrying attachments.

post #2981 of 2987 Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 AM
L2R
2013 JK Wrangler 

If I were using my jeep as a camper, I guess I would want all the storage I could get.

For me, I like the first one. It has a cleaner look.
I have always been cautious about what I put in the door sleeves. If a hard rain damages something, I wouldn't put it in a door pocket.
Lastly, would anyone want a place to mount another speaker in the door.
Just random thoughts. hope it helps.
post #2982 of 2987 Old 09-10-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If I were using my jeep as a camper, I guess I would want all the storage I could get.

For me, I like the first one. It has a cleaner look.
I have always been cautious about what I put in the door sleeves. If a hard rain damages something, I wouldn't put it in a door pocket.
Lastly, would anyone want a place to mount another speaker in the door.
Just random thoughts. hope it helps.
Thanks for the input.

post #2983 of 2987 Old 09-11-2019, 02:00 PM
L2R
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well, it took a few days but I have finally scanned all your posts on this thread.
I don't really care as much about what you are doing but I am very interested in knowing how you have all the energy to do it. :-)

The front bumper hitch looks awesome. Didn't know the hooks were rated to pull it like that but it looks very well made.

I have scoured this thread and the internet looking for those small, 1000 lumen led lights. Can these be bought or is the company keeping them shrouded in secrecy to avoid having to fill orders? I like to put them on my sxs for starters, the headlights on them are equal to an old, miliatary surplus flashlight found on ebay for 2 bucks.

I'd give the flat fenders a 10. I would buy them if they are ever sold to the public.
Same for the motorized vents. It's hot here and I keep a window cracked a little to let the heat escape - then of course, a thunder storm erupts before I can go put it up. ( why I like your side door pockets with flaps on them the best)
post #2984 of 2987 Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, it took a few days but I have finally scanned all your posts on this thread.
I don't really care as much about what you are doing but I am very interested in knowing how you have all the energy to do it. :-)
You know how some people are compulsive obsessive? I don't know if it's a formal psychological diagnosis but if it is I'd be a "compulsive creative" - I can help but think up new designs and better ways of doing things so I build many of these ideas. And the fact that I was able to leave the corporate world early in life gives me the time and means to indulge my obsession .

Quote:
The front bumper hitch looks awesome. Didn't know the hooks were rated to pull it like that but it looks very well made.
Thanks. That project worked out really well. The hooks are designed to pull the Jeep out of being stuck so they're plenty strong. I think I'll have the mount and winch installed on the Jeep when the Jeep gets borrowed by MORryde to be in their booth at the Overland East show in a few weeks so if anyone wants to see it in person it'll be there.

Quote:
I have scoured this thread and the internet looking for those small, 1000 lumen led lights. Can these be bought or is the company keeping them shrouded in secrecy to avoid having to fill orders? I like to put them on my sxs for starters, the headlights on them are equal to an old, miliatary surplus flashlight found on ebay for 2 bucks.
http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/produ...f-road-lights/

Quote:
I'd give the flat fenders a 10. I would buy them if they are ever sold to the public.
I've got the molds so more can be made and if there's a company or person who wants to bring those fenders to market I'll be happy to explore it with them. The fenders get lots of attention, especially from people who recognize them as being modern versions of the original Willys MB/CJ2a flat fenders.

Quote:
Same for the motorized vents. It's hot here and I keep a window cracked a little to let the heat escape - then of course, a thunder storm erupts before I can go put it up.

I just got a new window company engaged with Retrofit Offroad to manufacture slider windows for them. Retrofit has had sliders on the market for the past few years (http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/produ...er-window-kit/) but this new window company will Retrofit the possibility of offering additional window styles, like the swing-up cargo hatch windows I posted about last week. The window company also offers windows with swing-out vent window sections but I don't know if there will be enough demand for Retrofit to offer those.

Quote:
( why I like your side door pockets with flaps on them the best)

A company has picked those up and plans to bring them to market; I delivered the patterns to them the other day and will be helping them with the manufacturing details.

post #2985 of 2987 Old 09-12-2019, 05:38 AM
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
You know how some people are compulsive obsessive? I don't know if it's a formal psychological diagnosis but if it is I'd be a "compulsive creative" - I can help but think up new designs and better ways of doing things so I build many of these ideas. And the fact that I was able to leave the corporate world early in life gives me the time and means to indulge my obsession
I heard in the past you were actually evaluated by a psychologist and he was just finishing his final diagnosis report when you heard he had a Jeep. The word is he never quite finished the report because he was distracted helping you with a barn door, safari top, and the various hinges on his vehicle.

On a serious note, I am glad you left the corporate world early, these threads are awesome, and I always feel like I am watching the work of a true pioneer that is vastly improving how so many things are done on a Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in