Jeep Wrangler radiator leak issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
SDBazinga
2015 JK Wrangler 

Jeep Wrangler radiator leak issue

Hi all, new to the Forum. My wife has always wanted a Jeep and just bought a used 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara this weekend that has 50,000 miles on it. We noticed it had an antifreeze smell to it and took it back to the dealer we bought it from on Monday and they found a small leak in the radiator, so they replaced it.
I got onto this forum to look around and see that it seems to be a common problem. I've owned lots of vehicles in my life and have never had one have a radiator issue with so few miles on it. So I have to wonder why this seems to be a problem??
Obviously there is a quality control issue here and I wonder what other common issues others are having with their Wranglers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 05:33 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Report back in a week or so to let us know if you still get the smell of coolant once in a while.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #3 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 AM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Some of the teen year JKs had radiator issues. This is a fact. I dont think there was an official recall, but seems that none of dealers argued much with people about replacing them. After replacement Ive not heard repeated issues. The defect was micro pin holes that when hot would weep fluid. Manufacturing problem.... seems to be fixed.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way

post #4 of 10 Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
SDBazinga
2015 JK Wrangler 

Seems like the smell has gone away for the most part. Still catch a wiff every once in awhile, but not like it was
post #5 of 10 Old 03-29-2019, 07:31 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
poorly made parts is the main issue. Its a Fiat thing since like when ever that company started. The only good things is the part is under 200 bucks. where as a real rad would be more like 800+. Issue is even many of the all alloy are having an issue in a Jk too. seems there is a bit more twist going in the rad mount then maybe the rads can handle. leaks are all around the pinch seal where the side tank is crimped on and yes they are small mico cracks that are about impossible to see. Oh you smell them from 5 jeep backs. Im on the bench on this as i really do no think they did doodly squat. waiting to figure out what after market i will get in the end. stock parts are only when you have no choice. I would rather pay a custom shop then Fiat for its made in? mexico china? no idea... i have fords with over 255k on one 190 on the other and they are 96 and 03 same rads one is 22 years old<..... my heep yea that started to leak at about 35k warranty 6 years of use and yes i have flushed the system do to the 12s when new may have had contaminated frigging fluid/sand what ever,,,,fiat...... and Fiat would say it lasted to the end of a warranty its built as designed. like burning 1qt per 1000 miles is considered built to spec. They should do like they did with Clock springs free for what the first 130,00 miles when they break. i can break one in a year. i got so sick of replacing the friken things i said tuc it. even free they are not worth doing that much.. Hey why not seal the dan things so they dont fill with dust. They lost me as a customer for life with this Jk. Now the Jeep ill use until I grind it to steal dust on the rocks here in AZ. when it dies if i need another 4x4 for the wheeling i do i will get a buggy. heck they are street legal here. drive a Ultra 4 on the street might bring fun back in mall crawling lol.......

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-07-2019, 06:53 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I haven’t had a problem with my radiator but the water pump failed prematurely and the thermostat housing cracked (I think they cracked it when they replaced the water pump and hoped I wouldn’t make the connection and force them to replace it for free)

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-09-2019, 07:21 AM
MacK

2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBazinga View Post
Hi all, new to the Forum. My wife has always wanted a Jeep and just bought a used 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara this weekend that has 50,000 miles on it. We noticed it had an antifreeze smell to it and took it back to the dealer we bought it from on Monday and they found a small leak in the radiator, so they replaced it.
I got onto this forum to look around and see that it seems to be a common problem. I've owned lots of vehicles in my life and have never had one have a radiator issue with so few miles on it. So I have to wonder why this seems to be a problem??
Obviously there is a quality control issue here and I wonder what other common issues others are having with their Wranglers?
It was a known manufacturing defect as far as I know. My 2015 at about 50k miles had the exact same issue. I'm surprised the dealer didn't notice it when they took the vehicle in. You should be fine now though. I'm at 101-102k and haven't had any issues with that.

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Calbyker

Bought my 13 with 1900 miles on it and it would have the smell occasionally. Kept topping off the coolent tank to the full line. Never could find a leak anywhere. Stopped filling the tank and it went away. Tank holds at just below the "cool fill" line now.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 05:11 AM
sadlerb_98
2015 JK Wrangler 

I just had my radiator replaced for the 2nd time in 12 months, each under warranty. The first time I smelled the coolant, the second time was a total surprise as there was no smell or any indication of a leak.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 05:19 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

The last Jk we own, had a small leak around the main seal at the top of the radiator. The current JK wrangler doesn't have a leak as far as we can see, but we do get that smell once in a while. We've concluded that this is prob due to the reservoir being so close to the radiator and it just heats up thereafter. I've been keeping a close eye on this as we've dwelt with this type of issue with yj's, tj's and now jk's replacing the red cap with a 18psi stant cap seem to help for a while.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in