Jeep Pondering A Diesel-Powered Wrangler: Report - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
akjeepboy

I found this story in the Motor Authority iPhone app:

Atop the wish list for many Jeep Wrangler owners is one simple request: build our beloved, go-anywhere SUV with a diesel engine option. Not only would a diesel Wrangler offer up greater fuel economy on road, but it would deliver an extended range off-road, too, presenting a win-win scenario for hardcore off-roaders.

As The Detroit Free Press points out, a diesel Wrangler may soon be a reality, but there’s still one final hurdle to clear. To justify the expansion of Jeep’s diesel product offerings, first the new diesel-powered Grand Cherokee must prove to be a commercial success.

The Grand Cherokee diesel uses a Fiat-sourced 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6, rated at 240 horsepower and a stump-pulling 420 pound-feet of torque. On the highway, the diesel version will deliver up to 32 mpg, a gain of 9 mpg over the gasoline-powered 3.6-liter V-6 Grand Cherokee, or 11 mpg better than the current 3.6-liter Jeep Wrangler.

While there’s no doubt that a 30+ mpg Wrangler would have appeal, it’s not clear if buyers would be willing to shell out the additional cost that the diesel engine dictates. That’s why Jeep is using the more expensive Grand Cherokee as a barometer to gauge customer interest in diesels.

If you want a Jeep Wrangler diesel, then, it’s in your best interest to convince all your neighbors to buy Jeep Grand Cherokee diesels, and preferably as soon as they hit dealerships.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM
HappyTrails

2008 JK Wrangler 

...okay, I'm awake now.

2008 2-dr Rubicon, auto,
RK 2.5" Max Travel, Rancho 9000XL shocks, 37" Nittos, 5.38's, RR skids, Warn VR8000-S.
RIPP Gen 2 Stg 2 Supercharger.
Political Correctness offends me.
post #3 of 36 Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 PM
FortQjeep1

2012 JK Wrangler 

That's really a bad way to gauge interest. The people who buy grand cherokee's don't usually cross shop to a wrangler and vice vesa. What they are saying if the luxury crowd doesn't want them they assume us off roaders won't either, which is wrong! We want them! It would also boost their average fuel economy figures for the brand.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 36 Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM
redluve1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Totally buy but the price of the new grand would probably be twice what I paid for my used 2008 jku. I will play the lottery alot hoping I win and it will be my first purchase!

6/5/2011 back in a jeep. 4 door jeep wrangler, green,hard top, 6 speed transmission!
post #5 of 36 Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 PM
albatross
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortQjeep1 View Post
That's really a bad way to gauge interest.
I agree. After all, the liberty once offered a diesel. Just because it didnt set record selling numbers doesn't mean that Jeep owners dont want a diesel option.
post #6 of 36 Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Shabbernigdo

not gonna hold my breath. even if they do come out with a new wrangler diesel its gonna have so much epa crap all over it i dont know if ide even want to touch it.
Would rather just have a 4bt or 6bt in my current JK.
post #7 of 36 Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 PM
ST088
2011 JK Wrangler 

EPA has killed the diesel. Research DPF on diesel's, they suck. I have on my F250 and magically it knows when I am almost home and it begins the cleaning cycle. I generally like to let it finish so that's 20 extra minutes of driving around while it injects diesel into a filter and super heats it to clean the soot out. My gas mileage usually goes from 13-14 to 10 during that process. You can bet the wranglers will have a DPF as well.
post #8 of 36 Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM
MeatCurtains

2012 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't be surprised if diesels become more common than they are now. It isn't hard to miss many clear advantages to them. With epa regulations getting harder to meet diesels can offer mileage advantages over gasoline engines allowing manufacturers to have an easier time passing them.

However with rising popularity you can bet the epa will gimp them fast.
post #9 of 36 Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Shabbernigdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST088 View Post
EPA has killed the diesel. Research DPF on diesel's, they suck. I have on my F250 and magically it knows when I am almost home and it begins the cleaning cycle. I generally like to let it finish so that's 20 extra minutes of driving around while it injects diesel into a filter and super heats it to clean the soot out. My gas mileage usually goes from 13-14 to 10 during that process. You can bet the wranglers will have a DPF as well.
If i ever did get a diesel wrangler it would be a fight shortly there after because all that emissions stuff would have to go and then ide have to find ways to bypass all the sensors and such to keep it running properly.
post #10 of 36 Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 AM
MYounts
2014 JK Wrangler 

They make them now, they just don't sell them here. A lot of people like the idea of a diesel, myself included, but our thinking is more along the lines of the old simple, run forever with nothing more than oil changes, diesels. Modern diesels are very complicated which adds a lot to the purchase price and requires a lot more maintenance. If you crunch the numbers in often takes a lot of miles(like 50K or 60K) before the diesel starts paying for itself. As gas prices go up the equation changes in favor of the diesel, but at $4 a gallon we aren't there yet for me.
post #11 of 36 Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM
ST088
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbernigdo

If i ever did get a diesel wrangler it would be a fight shortly there after because all that emissions stuff would have to go and then ide have to find ways to bypass all the sensors and such to keep it running properly.
I have a h&s mini max in my closet. I am waiting till I am within a year of my warranty expiring before I install it. I had to hurry up and buy it because EPA (sucks) laid the smack down on H&S, they banned the dpf delete kits. Teach me to wait if I would have bought it a month earlier I could have saved $200. They are now selling for $2000 instead of $900 ish.
post #12 of 36 Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'd have to crunch all the numbers before I'd go with the smoker. 400 ft lbs in a Jeep platform, isn't going to be put to good use anyway. 30 mpg sounds great, but how much more is the diesel engine going to cost over the 3.6? Oil changes, fuel filters, maintaince, and higher fuel costs are also factors. The epa has for now, ruined the diesel fun. That Pentastar is a heck of an engine, and what I'll probably go with if the diesels do appear soon.
post #13 of 36 Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM
bearfilm
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this reply - I was going to open an Ice Cream shop in Hawaii or California, but thought I would test the concept in Alaska first to see if it was a good idea. I did try it first in Minnesota, but was only really busy for half the year...

--
88' Wrangler Laredo with 4.2L/Automatic
post #14 of 36 Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
akjeepboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfilm
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this reply - I was going to open an Ice Cream shop in Hawaii or California, but thought I would test the concept in Alaska first to see if it was a good idea. I did try it first in Minnesota, but was only really busy for half the year...
What??
post #15 of 36 Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

thats what i always wondered about all the people howling for a diesel. do they know it will prob add a few grand to the price? thats a huge risk for a manufacturer to take and it's not really fair to ask any manufacturer to produce it for the few thousand that would actually buy it. a cheaper alternative might be a small V8 which would be interesting but u would obv lose the mileage and some of the torque.

Adam
1aauto.com
888-844-3393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in