Jeep leaking with new door seals - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-11-2021, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
jcendicott1983

Jeep leaking with new door seals

Jeep brothers and sisters.....advice needed. I've been having water leaking in thru my front doors (Jeep JKU 2017). I bought this jeep last year with 11K miles from the dealership. I took it back to them after I ripped out the carpet and showed them the issue. They told me that they did a "water test" and that all the seals were bad and that Jeep has "New and better door seals" now. So of course I paid to have them installed. Today is the first rain since then and my front passenger side is still leaking. Before you make fun of me and tell me that Jeeps leak and all that....its not the water clean up that bothers me....its that damn mildew smell the rain leaves behind. The water is getting underneath my new Armorlite Flooring so its a pain to pull them out and clean underneath. I already emailed the dealership and sent them the pics but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone here experienced this and maybe know what I should tell the dealership to do in order to fix the issue? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0616.jpg   IMG_0618.jpg   IMG_0617.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Leaking tops and doors are a constant battle on these.
This is the repair manual they use to diagnose where the leak is coming from and how to deal with it, maybe it can help you pinpoint where it's coming from:
https://www.meyerdistributing.com/ma..._for_Leaks.pdf

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 8 Old 06-11-2021, 12:15 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'd be willing to bet $100 that the water is entering from the very top corner of the a pillar where it meets your hardtop (at the three way corner of the door, HT and windshield frame), the seal there has a round curve, and fits into the triangle corner. Water runs of the edge of the HT right into there.

Next time this happens, open the door, and you will likely see a trickle line all the way down the a pillar to where you see it crossing the trim at the bottom.

Now, the bad news. I have NO IDEA how to stop it (been dealing with it for years) Worst designed seal I've ever seen.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-11-2021, 12:23 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
no carpets no smell. way i roll

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-11-2021, 08:09 PM
rsurran

2013 JK Wrangler 

Along with Hoss and others I have also battled the leaks. The trick is to get the water to run down the door seal and exit the bottom of the door on the outside without entering at the bottom to the inside. The water comes to the corners at the top of the A posts and from there needs to be sealed out to run down and out the bottom of the door. Use the above mentioned Jeep leak test procedure but first read up on all the stories here. I have several posts as do others. I managed to stop my leaks by trial and error, plus a lot of cussing and retesting. Now I have a soft top on and donít plan to put the hard top on again.

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.
2013 JK Sport Black, Auto Trans, Bone Stock

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
jcendicott1983

Thanks for the response. I have my soft top on right now. Would it be the same issue with a soft and hard top?
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

The diag/repair manual I posted covers both. They both leak.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 08:55 AM
rsurran

2013 JK Wrangler 

My hard top didnít leak after the initial trauma of getting it to stop. When I put the new soft top on i had a leak at the driverís side A post. Using the Jeep leak test procedure and comparing A posts, I found I was missing a short piece of weather stripping on the driverís side. Using leftover weather stripping from the hard top fix, I cut a small piece and the leak was solved. So yes they do both leak but hard tops have the worse reputation.

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.
2013 JK Sport Black, Auto Trans, Bone Stock

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in