I have yet to own a New JKU without problems from day one. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-01-2020, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Dead-On
2017 JK Wrangler 

I have yet to own a New JKU without problems from day one.

Please... positive input only, plenty of negative going on, no need for more.

Why are these JKU's so unreliable?

Yes I understand vehicles break. Thus the warranty. But why does the warranty have to be even more broken?

Who else is having similar issues with warranty work, or lack of it, on your JKU?

The more important question I have, that I legitimately want answered is why Chryslers warranty process is so unreliable? I ask this because I have yet to have the warranty solve any issues I've had on any of my JKU's. This is a clear PATTERN in the 7 years I've owned 2 brand new JKU,s. I cant stress CLEAR PATTERN any more than my real world experience.

Loved Jeeps all my life. Learned to drive-in the 1985 Jeep Grand Cherokee, have owned many Cherokees and 2 brand new Wranglers JKU's in recent years.

With the exception of [email protected] and the manager at the dealer (Ron Lewis) I've purchased them from, no one, especially Chrysler's and especially the unservice department (sorry, I say it like it truely is) actually cares. I've had nothing but major difficulties trying to get anything fixed under warranty properly. Every single major warranty issue that I have had has never been fixed on either Jeep.

The issues I had with my 2013 JK you have clearly been documented on this site and with Chrysler. I now own a 2017 JKU with heater issues from day one that haven't been properly addressed or fixed to date.

Now I have a new mechanical issue that are not being addressed properly yet again. So now I get to jump through fictitious hoops back and forth with Chrysler yet again. But now I get to do it with low heat... joy! Left the dealer with a horrible taste in my mental palate yesterday. This was my 4th trip back for this new issue.

After the unproductive conversation I had with Heidi (service manager) and the mechanic at Ron Lewis Jeep It's quite obvious that this new problem is not going to get fixed either.

There is a clear business model going on here.

So a $4,700 7yr/120,000mi bumper to bumper Max Care warranty clearly covers Chrysler wallet more than it has served me, my vehicle, my time or my life.

I'm not looking for a solution at this point, the solution is quite evident.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-01-2020, 02:36 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

this is 1 of 100,000+ jeeps this year this is business to them, to you or I a new vehicle is somewhat more.

So tell us WHAT is your issue - details.

don.t want to hear sun roof, audio, heated reclining seat, GPS, issues its a jeep!

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-01-2020, 03:15 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
You ask for positive only, then ask, " why are JKU's so unreliable?". Rather hard to answer that and not be negative, Fopar is my word. Could play the fan boy.. like have you ever had Chev or Ford they are worse type reply.

But i will try anyway. I have had worse issue with the jeep. Mine tried to kill me. I was about as close as one can get and not pull out my 629 and put her down that day. Lucky for the jeep where it happened the walk out was more then i could bear and with a broken arm and dislocated fingers might have been a tricky shot.

The only reason that i keep the heep is that like all the rest of the jeeps i have had since 1975 were for off road adventure, period. Never as DD. I have never had another type Jeep other then cjs and this Jkr. I removed the issues that could cause harm. In the JKr.

Its had many issues. head was the first bird that flew at 20k. They fixed it. recurring issues like clock springs ever two years. Even though they do now give'm away like toasters at the bank. It as well is a deleted item now. I am now on my third shift assembly. First was replaced by Fopar. Though they wanted to take the trans apart. Only do to my absolute resolve that it is shift assembly did they do it as i said. I was correct as well $135 part they sell for $240+ labor. I just replaced it again my self a month ago. for $135 Fopar on line, dealer said they can not match the price locally? even had free shipping? Both the CS and shift issue is DUST intrusion. So when the new part arrived i did what any jeeper would do. Duct tape. wrapped that sucker in duct tape. see if dust gets past that. if it does it may well stick to the tape.

personally I am done with anything new. We paid cash for the heep so its not about $$$$$. Its about wasting it. I will keep my 1996 f250 7.3 until i die or they pry it from dead hands. Truck is a rock of reliability and its when Ford reputation was made for diesels. all door locks windows AC the 7.3 the Rad is factory still. at 187,00 miles of towing 5th wheels and dragging trailers. gets 18mpg and 13 towing. The only thing replaced so far is the trans at 160k. I cooked it towing up 12% at wot in over drive. The new trans is built for diesels and is nothing like it was stock. Billet TQ and added steels/plates and like 30 other upgrades to it huge cooler.

The wifes dream SUV was the Excursion 4x4 7.3. took a year to find it and we looked and drove even to Texas looking for one that was a good start, found it in Utah. Hers has had a ton of work done to it and its not stock at all. Its here DD and toy. think it has like 7 on the fly tunes, larger injectors its geared to 4.30 on 35s and the list goes on and on of upgrades. She has 260k on this one and it has more trans then i do built for more HP. thing is beast at 4 tons and it gets 18mpg average in town on the E tune. about the same towing as the old f250. just faster and more like a Cady.

We are done with all the new stuff. Cost less to rebuild these then buy anything like it new by FAR. trucks like hers they have not made by anyone since 2003 and here 03 is one of last made. She will keep it forever as well. I can get a 7.3 for like 8k reman. If they ever make anything close to this it would cost 100k+. Insurance is next to nothing for full coverage. Tags are like 30 bucks a year. 44 gallons of fuel 1 ton axles full float will take you a long long ways. Plus on hers you ride her she will hit number 7 and leave you in a coal mine of black lung.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

My 2007 JKU was awful. My 2014 JKU is the complete opposite but has needed a few minor repairs and most of the time the repair was free. The oil filter adapter housing cracked while they were changing the oil for free. The repair was going to be $800. I was way past warranty. They took care of it for free.

It kind of sounds like you need to find a better dealer.

My intention is to keep my 2014 JKU as long as I can, but with complex computerized vehicles, that is not the same as making an old vehicle last a long time so at a certain point that will come sooner than I would like, it will have to go. I am not sure what it will be replaced with. A strong possibility is replacing it with something much older and simpler and do a restoration/ rebuild shortly after purchase.

My 2007 JKU was the first vehicle I ever bought new. I paid cash for it. Needless to say I was disgusted with it. My 2014 was also a new cash purchase that I was skeptical about but ended up being great.

Ford will be coming out with at least three Bronco variants in the next couple years. Hopefully those will give Jeep some much needed competition.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 11:03 AM
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

On the bright side, we have owned 4 JKs and added 2 JLs. The 2007, 2008, 2009 were pretty much trouble free other then regular maintenance from day one. All are high milers. My son still has the 2007, my 2008 was traded in at 312,000klm and is still on the road, the 2009 was traded in at 280,000klm and is also still on the road. 2018 JKU is a year and a half old and already has 57,000klm no issues till now it appears it has a small rad leak. The 2018 JLU had a bad connection in the airbag harness and other then that all good with 40,000klm.
From our experience I can honestly say they have been the most trouble free vehicles weve owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, D44HD/J8 w/ OX locker and RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 2635 Predator Alloys, AEV Prem Bumper, Smitty X2O 12K ETC..
post #6 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Dead-On
2017 JK Wrangler 

Finally disillusioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post

It kind of sounds like you need to find a better dealer.

I did 3 years ago, If you read my past posts about this issue, Ron Lewis came to the rescue on the oil consumption issue and obfuscated the hoops Chrysler and Tri-Star were attempting to make me jump through.

But shortly after that they hired a starry eyed service manager to cloud reality. ... And when I say cloud reality, I literally mean cloud reality. Here is but one several examples of how reality fails to enter her world. And I have photographs to illustrate what I'm talking about. The Jeep had one type of antifreeze in the radiator and a different one in the reserve brand new from the dealer. One orange and one pink. When I purchased the Jeep new and brought it to her attention immediately she told me that they were the same. I open the hood and asked her to look at both reservoirs. One was clearly orange and one was clearly pink yet she insisted they were the same color. So I took a picture while she was there. Then she went to get a printed bulletin showing this issue. It described the proper color of antifreeze and its correct usage. But the print out was a black and white illustration showing the correct color. Yes, this was her defense, a black and white printout to compare?. I immediately since noted this to her, the GM and in my documented photographs.

This is the never ending uphill battle with a boulder I speak of with Chrysler. I can am no longer able or now WILLING to do this with my $$$$

222Doc... I feel your pain, not literally though and that's what I'm trying to avoid. I haven't posted much lately but I've seen yours and others plight in past years over this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
We are done with all the new stuff. Cost less to rebuild these then buy anything like it new by FAR. trucks like hers they have not made by anyone since 2003 and here 03 is one of last made.

This has been looming in my head since I bought my 2017 Jeep. For the past year I've been randomly saying it's time to buy an older Ford pick up truck. Increasingly over time new isn't worth it, at least with Chrysler. Hidden costs that almost no one understands except Chrysler.

Examples of hidden cost from my 2013 JKU and my 2017 JKU. Both Jeeps had the EXACT SAME OPTIONS.

Price of new Jeeps are growing faster than wages or the cost of living/inflation. A 15% Increase in the cost of the same Jeep over 3 years?

5 yr/100,000 mile warranty now a 3yr/60,000. This one is simple to parse. Thats 2 years or $40,000 that's on us now. How much money is this Chrysler saving by lowering their warrantee responsibility across the board. So you must spend an additional several thousand $$$$ for added suspect (in mine and others experience) warranty coverage.

Suggesting additional work or parts out of my pocket several times to fix the major issues that clearly fall under the bumper to bumper/power train warranty.

Increasing resistance to simply do your job. In other words, allowing somebody at Chrysler who has never put their hand on my vehicle make very important decisions regarding the proper repairs is a BAD idea. Completely disregarding a mechanic or the owner of the vehicle experience is also a BAD idea. It's called responsability.

Responseable, or response able.

Response - A reaction to something
Able- Having the power, skill, means, or opportunity to do something

This literally isn't hapening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
So tell us WHAT is your issue - details.
If I brought up all the "minor" issues we would be here forever. Leaky roof, missing oil cap, wrong antifreeze from factory/dealer, missing window motor cover, loose missing interior parts...and on and on and on. These I can live with...EVEN though I shouldn't have to.

Details: Chryslers fictious bean counting business model that considerably emeloriates much of their responsibility to fix issues that deal with their customer base being able to own a reliable and more importantly SAFE vehicle. I can honestly say this because this has been my real world experience with them. I no longer feel safe in my vehicle. The service manager said this EXACT statement when she test drove my vehicle. Her words: "Wow, that scared the crap out of me. NO I seriously was afraid, so was the mechanic" Yet somehow here it sits in my driveway after me returning 4 times to the dealer only to be two steps back instead of real progress in solving this or ANY issue.

More Details: $70,000 + $4,700 Max Care warranty for Two New Jeeps from factory.
Head/oil consumption issues, needed new engine. Wrong antifreeze/low heat issue. Death Wobble.To this date I never had any of the mechanical issues fixed by the warranty.

I truly figured out that Chrysler is not the problem. The problem is that I decided to double down and trust Chrysler by being a repeat customer.

Fool me once... well you know the rest of the saying.

I absolute love the capability, utility and looks of this Jeep. I fully intended on owning this for at least 10 years. But that realistically can't happen. I live on a budget with one vehicle, I planned ahead for these contingencies. This Jeep is paid off so unless responseable action is taken it is truely time to reassess.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 12:28 PM
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds even more like a dealer issue. I have none of these problems with my dealer.

^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, D44HD/J8 w/ OX locker and RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 2635 Predator Alloys, AEV Prem Bumper, Smitty X2O 12K ETC..
post #8 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 12:47 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

makes you long for a 2004 or earlier.

Just a brand name.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 03:13 PM
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Maybe back to the 70s. No electronics at all. Basic gas and spark engines.

^^Jeff^^
post #10 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 03:18 PM
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had a transmission blow out on my 2013 Rubicon with 1000 miles left on the warranty.

While a major frustrating issue that the dealer jacked around with replacing all kinds of parts until they finally realized the trans was toast, it was eventually covered under warranty and I haven't had any other nickel and dime issues.

Knock on wood.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 03:33 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

Just a brand name.
Yep my research and experience over the last many decades. Came to that same conclusion. It is why when i needed a pickup truck and the wife wanted a Suv(we had a 87 Suburban) the Excursion by far the king of Suvs ever built.

I had two in mind any Ford Navistar 7.3 built from 96-2003 and a Dodge 12v or 24 Valve Cummings same era. I never found a Dodge that was not rusted out and beat to death.

Packing the 96 f250 this weekend with a 2500lbs camper and jeep on its trailer heading to winter fest in Utah Sand hollow/Hurricane. even put a new stereo in it. Its has blue tooth, lol. what ever wifes said its a need.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #12 of 19 Old 01-03-2020, 06:48 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On View Post
Please... positive input only, plenty of negative going on, no need for more.

Why are these JKU's so unreliable?

Yes I understand vehicles break. Thus the warranty. But why does the warranty have to be even more broken?

Who else is having similar issues with warranty work, or lack of it, on your JKU?

The more important question I have, that I legitimately want answered is why Chryslers warranty process is so unreliable? I ask this because I have yet to have the warranty solve any issues I've had on any of my JKU's. This is a clear PATTERN in the 7 years I've owned 2 brand new JKU,s. I cant stress CLEAR PATTERN any more than my real world experience.

Loved Jeeps all my life. Learned to drive-in the 1985 Jeep Grand Cherokee, have owned many Cherokees and 2 brand new Wranglers JKU's in recent years.

With the exception of [email protected] and the manager at the dealer (Ron Lewis) I've purchased them from, no one, especially Chrysler's and especially the unservice department (sorry, I say it like it truely is) actually cares. I've had nothing but major difficulties trying to get anything fixed under warranty properly. Every single major warranty issue that I have had has never been fixed on either Jeep.

The issues I had with my 2013 JK you have clearly been documented on this site and with Chrysler. I now own a 2017 JKU with heater issues from day one that haven't been properly addressed or fixed to date.

Now I have a new mechanical issue that are not being addressed properly yet again. So now I get to jump through fictitious hoops back and forth with Chrysler yet again. But now I get to do it with low heat... joy! Left the dealer with a horrible taste in my mental palate yesterday. This was my 4th trip back for this new issue.

After the unproductive conversation I had with Heidi (service manager) and the mechanic at Ron Lewis Jeep It's quite obvious that this new problem is not going to get fixed either.

There is a clear business model going on here.

So a $4,700 7yr/120,000mi bumper to bumper Max Care warranty clearly covers Chrysler wallet more than it has served me, my vehicle, my time or my life.

I'm not looking for a solution at this point, the solution is quite evident.
Hi Dead-On,
We're sorry to hear about your experience. If additional assistance is needed throughout your dealer visit, please send our team a PM. We would be happy to connect you with a Case Specialist.
Alex
JeepCares
post #13 of 19 Old 02-15-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Dead-On
2017 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Just a brand name.
Lookin at a very clean well maintained 2004 Ford 150 right now for the wife. Simplicity is under rated.

Chrysler's doin everything to make sure I fulfill my need for a Tacoma.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-15-2020, 07:11 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

So much butt hurt... So little time

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #15 of 19 Old 02-16-2020, 08:02 AM
1droid

I have an older jeep, 2009, needed warranty work done for airbags and some other junk a couple of months ago. Brought the jeep to the nearest dealer, Prime Chrysler dodge jeep ram dealer, 824 Saco road, Saco Maine, they had the jeep 2 weeks before they said they didn't order the correct parts and I would need to bring the jeep back. We were without a vehicle for over 3 weeks for something that should have been done right the first time. The dealer is sad and pathetic, don't trust them for any work, will never go back to Prime. Not sure what dealers gain from bad repair work. I am pretty sure corporate jeep wouldn't be happy if they knew what their dealers do to their customers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in